Air Venturi Avenge X owners - is it worth upgrading from the original avenger?

I'm new to the forum and need a few posts. But I am curious.

If you've owned the avenger, and now own an Avenge-x. What are your thoughts? How much better is it?

I had my avenger 22 and put over 12,000 pellets through it. Really happy with the price/performance. I deceided if I was going to do that much shooting, I should upgrade to a nicer rifle. I purchased an FX Maverick, and honestly I have buyers remorse. It's a super nice rifle, but performance/cost isn't worth it in my opinion. I realize there are a lot of upgrades and modifications you can do. But it really takes the fun out of it for me to have that much money into an air rifle, especially when a much cheaper option will get the job done.

My end goal is to sell my maverick and replace it with an avenge x (I'm sure many will think that is dumb). But I was wondering if anyone had some real world experience with the avenge x and how it compares to the original avenger. Or even the maverick for that matter. I was really impressed with Air Venturi, and would like to use them again.

Any insights?

Thanks.

Hello,
I as well am new to the site. I was on the verge of buying the Maverick but instead went with the Avenge-x Tactical .22 cal model. I can tell you that I don't regret that decision at all! My Avenge-x has impressed me to no ends. This thing is just stupid accurate and very easy to tune. This is my first PCP airgun so I dont really know all that much about them yet. I have done a lot of tinkering around with the gun,Tuning and a little modification ( My hammer spring is easy to get to from the rear of the gun now) and I have shot a lot of different pellets and several different slugs through the gun and if something happened to the gun I would not hesitate to order another one in a second. It will easily shoot one hole groups at 35, 50 and 65 yards (thats my yardage max in my yard) I seriously would put it up against anything that i have seen. I still need waaaaay more trigger time and I dont shoot every day. The gun seems to be very forgiving and super quiet. I have already received my .25 cal barrel but have not changed it out yet, I'm having too much fun shooting to take the time...lol. I would be happy to offer any information that I might have if you have any questions....

I own an original Avenger in 22Cal which is a lot of fun and a great start in the pcp world. But I would never compare it to my FX rigs. I will be able to rebuild my Impacts forever, as the aftermarket and replacement parts are plentiful. I dont think the Avenger line will be around as long and you will need to repair any pcp eventually. My advice is to sell the Avenger and just enjoy the Maverick for the next decade or two. I know they are expensive, but they are in the top tier of pcps and in the grand scheme of things its not really that much more money.

Having been into PCPs for the last decade or so I can only say that it's great to see the variety of what's available on the market now. It's good to have choices for all budgets.

Think that the Avenge-X is incredible value for the money. That being said, I have no intention of selling my more expensive PCPs - finish, hardware, materials and tolerances wise they are better built.

Nothing wrong with the Avenger and Avenge-X level of airguns just like there's nothing wrong with Ford or GM cars ...but they are not equal to Audi and BMW.

I shoot my Maximus frequently and have an Avenge-X on order, I enjoy all airguns! 🙂

Cheers!

Hello,
I as well am new to the site. I was on the verge of buying the Maverick but instead went with the Avenge-x Tactical .22 cal model. I can tell you that I don't regret that decision at all! My Avenge-x has impressed me to no ends. This thing is just stupid accurate and very easy to tune. This is my first PCP airgun so I dont really know all that much about them yet. I have done a lot of tinkering around with the gun,Tuning and a little modification ( My hammer spring is easy to get to from the rear of the gun now) and I have shot a lot of different pellets and several different slugs through the gun and if something happened to the gun I would not hesitate to order another one in a second. It will easily shoot one hole groups at 35, 50 and 65 yards (thats my yardage max in my yard) I seriously would put it up against anything that i have seen. I still need waaaaay more trigger time and I dont shoot every day. The gun seems to be very forgiving and super quiet. I have already received my .25 cal barrel but have not changed it out yet, I'm having too much fun shooting to take the time...lol. I would be happy to offer any information that I might have if you have any questions....
Thanks, I appreciate it. A friend of mine just bought two avengers refurbished for him and his boys to practice with after I told him about how much I loved my avenger. He brought them over for some help getting them set up and tuned. I forgot how awesome they are. I'm still super impressed with Air Venturi's performance/price. I'm glad to hear you like yours. I keep kicking myself for not waiting and getting one when they came out, I got the FX and it still eats me up. I really think for me the Avenge-x made more sense. Yes the FX is a nice rifle, but I don't feel like it's 3x the rifle of the Avenge-x. I'm sure that'll ruffle some feathers, but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too broke to appreciate it.

I own an original Avenger in 22Cal which is a lot of fun and a great start in the pcp world. But I would never compare it to my FX rigs. I will be able to rebuild my Impacts forever, as the aftermarket and replacement parts are plentiful. I dont think the Avenger line will be around as long and you will need to repair any pcp eventually. My advice is to sell the Avenger and just enjoy the Maverick for the next decade or two. I know they are expensive, but they are in the top tier of pcps and in the grand scheme of things its not really that much more money.
I guess I don't see how you can rebuild the FX's forever but not the Avenger. Even if that was the case, even if the avenger doesn't last, I would never spend enough money on replacing them with new ones to meet the cost spent on the impact. I guess for me, I could get a new one every five years, or even have multiple air rifles for different purposes and still be money ahead.

I don't mean to try and persuade you to my way of thinking, just for my situation I don't think it's a good investment. The cost/enjoyment ratio for me is much better on the avenger. What really eats at me is I think my avenger would outshoot my Maverick (although I spent a lot more time learning and tuning the avenger). I helped a friend tune a couple of refurbished avengers last weekend and they shot better groups after tuning than my maverick. I'm sure someone with more experience with a maverick could get it to do better, possibly with different pellets. But for me, a cheap airgun shooting cheap pellets is 10x more fun than an expensive airgun shooting expensive pellets, especially if accuracy is comparable. The only benefit I can see is the options for a slug barrel and power kit for the maverick and the ability to change out to .30 cal. But the cost to do it is as much as a whole new air rifle of a different brand. I just feel like you're paying for the name on the FX. But I may learn my lesson. Time will tell I suppose. Hope I didn't get you fired up, that's just my feelings on the subject. To each his own and if you like your impact better, I'm glad for you. I just don't think its for me.

That Avenge-x is sure hard to beat for what you get at that price point!I just got into pcp’s a few months back when the “X” wasnt available yet..i bought the regular avenger and origin at the time..If i had known about the “X” i would have probably waited and just bought that with an additional caliber barrel.

I guess I don't see how you can rebuild the FX's forever but not the Avenger. Even if that was the case, even if the avenger doesn't last, I would never spend enough money on replacing them with new ones to meet the cost spent on the impact. I guess for me, I could get a new one every five years, or even have multiple air rifles for different purposes and still be money ahead.

I don't mean to try and persuade you to my way of thinking, just for my situation I don't think it's a good investment. The cost/enjoyment ratio for me is much better on the avenger. What really eats at me is I think my avenger would outshoot my Maverick (although I spent a lot more time learning and tuning the avenger). I helped a friend tune a couple of refurbished avengers last weekend and they shot better groups after tuning than my maverick. I'm sure someone with more experience with a maverick could get it to do better, possibly with different pellets. But for me, a cheap airgun shooting cheap pellets is 10x more fun than an expensive airgun shooting expensive pellets, especially if accuracy is comparable. The only benefit I can see is the options for a slug barrel and power kit for the maverick and the ability to change out to .30 cal. But the cost to do it is as much as a whole new air rifle of a different brand. I just feel like you're paying for the name on the FX. But I may learn my lesson. Time will tell I suppose. Hope I didn't get you fired up, that's just my feelings on the subject. To each his own and if you like your impact better, I'm glad for you. I just don't think its for me.
The pot aluminum casted breech isnt going to last forever, and the small parts wont be around for long. Part of keeping the cost down was also not making replacement parts available to the public. So when you need to rebuild or replace the regulator or valve parts etc, you might not be able to find readily available replacements. Your Maverick on the other hand, there are factory and aftermarket replacement parts available from every major retailer and directly from FX. And that has been the case for several years, meaning its a trend likely to continue. There are so many one off model run pcps that did ok for a couple years then production stops and there are no more parts. This isnt a new thing, I can go down to the local auto-parts store and find a starter for a small block Chevy truck on the shelf. I cant find parts anywhere for an International pickup. Obviously that example is a bit extreme, but you get the picture. I really like my Avenger. And I like it so much I spent waaaay too much money upgrading it. And I agree that the FX name has an entry tax built in. I dont think they should be charging as much as they do, but the reality is they can. I bought mine used and even then, the sticker shock almost had me 6ft in the ground :ROFLMAO: .

So when I say maybe sell the Avenger and keep the Maverick, Im looking down the road 5 years or more. You already spent the money on both, and you are going to take a loss on either one when you sell. The Avenger will be a much lower loss, and the Maverick you will be able to enjoy longer. Really Id say keep them both, but if the money is bothering you its not worth the stress. Im as cheap as they come, so I totally understand where you are coming from. But I have also wasted a lot of money trying to save money. Sometimes its actually cheaper to buy the nice expensive thing the first time, instead of trying out a bunch of cheaper options that dont really perform the same. And yes, the Avenger has a reputation for being a laser beam. Thats one of the reasons so many here recommend them as a first pcp, myself included. But the most accurate setup I have been able to use is an Impact/Wildcat. I dont know that I would say the cost difference justifies the accuracy difference though. I guess this is really like buying a cordless drill. I have a Ryobi drill that does a good job of drilling holes, but its my 4th drill. Had I just spent the extra on a Milwaukee or Dewalt the first time, it would have saved me time and money.

As a side note, I dont really get fired up. I really enjoy discussing the pros and cons of hobbies with other people that like to do the same. If there was any issue I would let you know in a respectful way, passive aggressive isnt allowed in my house. And if anything, I know I come across as a stuck up knucklehead sometimes because my typing style is pretty direct. ;)(y)

I can't get any parts from Air Venturi and I can't get any parts from Umarex for the Notos but I just call Utah Air and 3 days later, I have FX parts in my hands.

I have been forced to buy used guns to salvage parts for new guns, this is not a futureable solution.

I've nothing against value engineering but buyer-beware with anything that does not support end-user repairs.

I can't get any parts from Air Venturi and I can't get any parts from Umarex for the Notos but I just call Utah Air and 3 days later, I have FX parts in my hands.

I have been forced to buy used guns to salvage parts for new guns, this is not a futureable solution.

I've nothing against value engineering but buyer-beware with anything that does not support end-user repairs.
Really,parts on such popular pcp’s are that scarce?What are we talking about here o-rings and screws or something more substantial?

Reactions: nobody1
Really,parts on such popular pcp’s are that scarce?What are we talking about here o-rings and screws or something more substantial?
Valve parts, Regulator parts, Barrel assembly parts, etc. Part of making a budget production run is not producing a lot of spare parts. Air Venturi has a limited amount of factory replacement parts available for warranty repairs and has not made many extra for the end consumer. For example one of the Avengers in my friend group was knocked over recently and ripped the threads out of the barrel shroud on both ends. Couldnt find a replacement, so upgraded to the limited run of CF barrel shrouds AE Swede had for sale. If and when something fails it might be difficult to find parts or fix it yourself. Air Venturi has been doing pretty great with warranty work, but you cant expect them to fix your Avenger for free forever. In contrast there are other makes/models of pcps that have a vast support from manufacturers and the aftermarket. Im not telling anyone to not buy an Avenger, but its good to be aware of your available options in the future.

Valve parts, Regulator parts, Barrel assembly parts, etc. Part of making a budget production run is not producing a lot of spare parts. Air Venturi has a limited amount of factory replacement parts available for warranty repairs and has not made many extra for the end consumer. For example one of the Avengers in my friend group was knocked over recently and ripped the threads out of the barrel shroud on both ends. Couldnt find a replacement, so upgraded to the limited run of CF barrel shrouds AE Swede had for sale. If and when something fails it might be difficult to find parts or fix it yourself. Air Venturi has been doing pretty great with warranty work, but you cant expect them to fix your Avenger for free forever. In contrast there are other makes/models of pcps that have a vast support from manufacturers and the aftermarket. Im not telling anyone to not buy an Avenger, but its good to be aware of your available options in the future.
Well that was enlightening,thank you

Reactions: MongooseV8
You can get new regulators for them from air Venturi. There’s a lot of aftermarket parts for them and they share parts with other rifles. I’m not overly worried about parts. And if there is something hugely wrong with it, it was likely abused. Even if what you say happens and down the road it breaks and i can’t find parts, i still have enough money to replace it four more times for the cost of the maverick. By then there will likely be a better option any ways. Plus if it gets dinged up or something else happens to it, it’s not nearly as big of a deal. I don’t want to be scared of using it all the time. To each his own, but that’s how i feel about it. If you’ve got cash to burn great. I know a guy that has nearly $10000 invested in an impact, scope, compressor, and bottles and for me the cost benefit isn’t worth it when you can buy a $350 avenger and $250 compressor and do 95% of what he can do. Sure there are more accessories and parts. But most cost as much as another rifle. Seems crazy to me, but i guess i must be poorer than most of the fx guys. I guess if you’re into competitive shooting then great. But for having fun plinking in the back yard and pesting, it seems pointless. For that kind of money i can get a nice powder burner and suppressor that’ll perform a heck of a lot better and still have my avenger 🤷🏻‍♂️. I just don’t get all the hype.

That Avenge-x is sure hard to beat for what you get at that price point!I just got into pcp’s a few months back when the “X” wasnt available yet..i bought the regular avenger and origin at the time..If i had known about the “X” i would have probably waited and just bought that with an additional caliber barrel.
I love all this Air Venturi Avengers I own one first gen wood stock .22, another Avenge-X classic also in .22 and currently waiting for another Avenge-X classic in the bigger .25 cal that is supposed to be in my mail this week. I only use my airguns to practice target shooting in my backyard and sometimes I hunt all the iguanas that pass through. I live in the carribean PR and here we have hundreds of iguanas everywhere. Definitely this airguns are by far the best bang for the buck, over any other airguns available in the market. I also have a high end Kalibrgun cricket II tactical .60 in .22 cal and at honestly at 50 yards, there is no difference in accuracy between this much more expensive airgun vs my others budget friendly Avengers. The first gen avenger is tuned to shot with the more lighters crosman 14.13, the JSB 15.89 and AA diabolo fields 16 grains pellets and the Avenge-X is tuned to shot with the JSB, FX and AA 18 grains pellets. The cricket is tuned to also shot with the 18 grains JSB pellets and I having a lot of fun with all of them. I am using in almost all of them the Arken SH-4 second gen FFP 4-16x50 scopes with the Arkens medium size rings, and a Hawke vantage 3-9x44 scope in my first gen Avenger.

You can buy 3 Avenge-X or 5 Avenger for the price of an FX Maverick.
At that price difference I would not worry of replacement parts.

The only issue would be the performance difference.
Is the FX Maverick 3 times more accurate than the Avenge-X or 5 times more accurate than the Avenger ?

I love all this Air Venturi Avengers I own one first gen wood stock .22, another Avenge-X classic also in .22 and currently waiting for another Avenge-X classic in the bigger .25 cal that is supposed to be in my mail this week. I only use my airguns to practice target shooting in my backyard and sometimes I hunt all the iguanas that pass through. I live in the carribean PR and here we have hundreds of iguanas everywhere. Definitely this airguns are by far the best bang for the buck, over any other airguns available in the market. I also have a high end Kalibrgun cricket II tactical .60 in .22 cal and at honestly at 50 yards, there is no difference in accuracy between this much more expensive airgun vs my others budget friendly Avengers. The first gen avenger is tuned to shot with the more lighters crosman 14.13, the JSB 15.89 and AA diabolo fields 16 grains pellets and the Avenge-X is tuned to shot with the JSB, FX and AA 18 grains pellets. The cricket is tuned to also shot with the 18 grains JSB pellets and I having a lot of fun with all of them. I am using in almost all of them the Arken SH-4 second gen FFP 4-16x50 scopes with the Arkens medium size rings, and a Hawke vantage 3-9x44 scope in my first gen Avenger.
The only thing I might argue with you is that I like a LOT more power in my scopes, even at close distances. Even at 20 yards, I like using my Athlon Argos Gen1 8-34 at the highest magnification whenever possible.

Yes, I know I am the oddball, but it works for me.

Looking for another FFP scope that is at least as powerful for the DAR Gen2 .177, but not too expensive. I don't click for range, just holdover as long as the scope is capable of attaining and maintaining zero. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Damn... nearly 2am here and I thought I would be dead to the world by now... (sigh)

Excellent post. I hope others that have both Avenger and AvengerX will chime in and give their experiences as well. Thanks for keeping on topic!

Excellent post. I hope others that have both Avenger and AvengerX will chime in and give their experiences as well. Thanks for keeping on topic!
This are my four babies in one of the pics the first gen wood stock avenger is in front and in another in the middle of the pack. If some of you only used to shot your rifles in your backyard and live in a very quite, peaceful and private neighborhood like mine I strongly suggest to use the most efficient moderators available in the market to silence them as much as possible. Currently I am using a DonnyFL Sumo in my Kalibrgun cricket II tactical .60 .22 cal, another DonnyFL FX in my Avenge-X classic .22, a DonnyFL adapter with a Buck-Rail 3D printed moderator in my first gen avenger .22 cal and a Huggett snipe standard in my other Avenge-X classic .25 cal newest addition. If anyone is curious about which of this moderators silences them the most definitely it is the Huggett snipe standard by far…👍😉💪. Althought it may seems hard to believe my bigger.25 cal new Avenge-X is more quieter than my others two .22 avengers despite they are in a smaller caliber. The only one that is possibly a bit more quiter is my high end Kalibrgun cricket II tactical but I have all of them tuned to shot below 900 fps, because I have found the best accuracy between 850 and 890 fps in all the pellets I usually shoot with them. I don’t shoot with slugs because my maximum range is only about 60 yards, and at this distance the pellets are much more accurate and precise than the slugs. The pellets that all my airguns like the most including the cricket, are the JSB and the Air Arms Diabolo fields in both .22 and .25 cal.

IMG_6285.png

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7752.jpeg

IMG_6286.png

IMG_7761.jpeg

Last edited: