• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Avenge X internal baffle pellet strike

Just wanted to share what happened today as I thought I had a pellet barrel jam but turned out to be a pellet strike against the baffle located inside the shroud at the end of the barrel. Not sure how this was caused but something you might to to keep an eye out for if you own one of the new Avenge X rifles. I've had this for about 4 weeks now and just over 600 shots. Pyramid sent a RMA very quickly and being covered by warranty.

Baffle.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: WorriedMan
Inside my JTS Airacuda Max's shroud is a six-part stack (air stripper, four metal baffles, stack bolt) which fit on end of barrel. An inch, or so, away is the shroud end cap. My gun fabricator never tightened down the stack bolt, leaving it an inch away, snug against the shroud end cap. Every time I fired the gun a loud clang would sound as the air stripper and four baffles banged around, held in place loosely by the sides of the shroud. Of course, pellet was damaged, making large corkscrew patterns during flight with zero accuracy. I thought, "What a piece of:poop:." WM

Just wanted to share what happened today as I thought I had a pellet barrel jam but turned out to be a pellet strike against the baffle located inside the shroud at the end of the barrel. Not sure how this was caused but something you might to to keep an eye out for if you own one of the new Avenge X rifles. I've had this for about 4 weeks now and just over 600 shots. Pyramid sent a RMA very quickly and being covered by warranty.

View attachment 413347
So, I’ve been trying to understand how the baffle fits on the barrel and perhaps this answers my question. But I’m not sure. Does the baffle actually fit over the barrel? It’s seems not, if a pellet did that kind of damage. It’s hard to tell from the schematic, and even though Ian at Bravo 45 Airguns takes the baffle off in a YouTube video, he doesn’t actually show it on camera.

The hole in the baffle was not aligned well with the bore of the rifle. I have an original Avenger, not the AvengeX. So this may not apply but the back end of my shroud is supported by a plastic piece that slides over the barrel and is threaded for the shroud. Supporting the shroud with plastic is one of the things I have against this rifle - which I still consider a nice rifle and a very good buy. If the AvengeX still uses plastic for the back end, then you have that plastic piece plus the baffle itself that can move the center of the baffle away from the center of the bore. If they are not aligned well enough, the pellet hits the baffle. If the shroud support didn't contribute then it is just the baffle that was improperly made allowing it's center to be offset relative to the bore of the rifle. A less likely cause would be a rifle barrel with it's hole not centered. Or some combination of these alignment contributors.