• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi Avenge X .22 Tuning help needed

Greetings AGN,
New to the group and my first post. I'm new to PCP but not new with shooting airguns so I do have a few questions on fine tuning my new Avenge X. Went with the Classic in .22, mounted a Talos BTR Gen 2 ,have a Donny FL RYU mounted as well and shooting JSB Heavy Diabolo 18.13gr. So out of the box stock does anyone know what the FPS is from factory? I did find one video from Nate at Airgun Channel doing a review that indicated his was around 950fps, just curious if others have found this to be true? It also sounds like the best accuracy and performance for this platform might be around 890fps, wondering if this is true?

I've got this one dialed in pretty good at 45yds but the frustrating part is that my POI seems to move on me from time to time, about 1-2" on windage. I reluctantly made corrections only to find 10 shots later it needs to go back to where it was. I've checked my scope and mount and yes they are tight. I'm curious if this could be caused by a high out of the box setting and maybe the hammer needs to be dialed down a bit. If so can this be done realistically without a chrono?

My regulator seems to hang out around 2000psi, does this sound about right? So far I'm just thru my first can of 500 pellets. Appreciate any help or advice on fine tuning this in.

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

Last edited:
My 22 Avenger X came from the factory at 2100psi give or take. With the hammer spring all the way out it is shooting JSB 18.13's at 900fps. Very very accurate at 50 and no movement at all. Clean the barrel good and allow time for the reg to break in. FYI, you are 40 minutes from my house. Wartburg.
Great tips, exactly some of the data I was looking for. So would you recommend I turn the hammer down a bit, perhaps 1 full turn at a time? What did your regulator pressure drop to after dialing that down?

No way...Wartburg....you are close....I was up there at Brushy Mtn State PN a few years back doing the tour. Also camped at Frozen Head and talk on the 255 ham radio repeater located up there, any chance you are on it? Do you have a chrono, if so what do you recommend? I also own property at Grandview and would love to link up and shoot if you have the time or a location.

Great tips, exactly some of the data I was looking for. So would you recommend I turn the hammer down a bit, perhaps 1 full turn at a time? What did your regulator pressure drop to after dialing that down?

No way...Wartburg....you are close....I was up there at Brushy Mtn State PN a few years back doing the tour. Also camped at Frozen Head and talk on the 255 ham radio repeater located up there, any chance you are on it? Do you have a chrono, if so what do you recommend? I also own property at Grandview and would love to link up and shoot if you have the time or a location.
Your reg is a little lower than mine. Not sure where your hammer spring was set from the factor. I have a FX chronograph and really like mine. They came out with a newer version since I bought mine. Should be better. Never had any problems with mine. Below is the pic of where my reg is at until you get a crony. Also there is a pic of JSB 18.13's at 50 yards shooting right at 900fps at 2100psi. (Top 3 targets are JSB 18's) I live 4 miles from the old Brushy Prison.

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1901.jpeg

Last edited:
My 22 Avenger X came from the factory at 2100psi give or take. With the hammer spring all the way out it is shooting JSB 18.13's at 900fps. Very very accurate at 50 and no movement at all. Clean the barrel good and allow time for the reg to break in. FYI, you are 40 minutes from my house. Wartburg.
Solid advice, I'll add to make sure to note factory settings before adjusting. I photographed regulator gauges and Power Wheels on my M3 right out of box for reference. Also used a silver marker or red electrical tape to mark factory hammer spring settings on other PCPs, depending on location. Marking factory settings will allow adjusting on either side to see improvement, or not. WM

Solid advice, I'll add to make sure to note factory settings before adjusting. I photographed regulator gauges and Power Wheels on my M3 right out of box for reference. Also used a silver marker or red electrical tape to mark factory hammer spring settings on other PCPs, depending on location. Marking factory settings will allow adjusting on either side to see improvement, or not. WM
Good points and was thinking of doing exactly that and keeping some detailed notes on how many turns clock or counter I go.

Reactions: WorriedMan
Your reg is a little lower than man. Not sure where your hammer spring was set from the factor. I have a FX chronograph and really like mine. They came out with a newer version since I bought mine. Should be better. Never had any problems with mine. Below is the pic of where my reg is at until you get a crony. Also there is a pic of JSB 18.13's at 50 yards shooting right at 900fps at 2100psi. (Top 3 targets are JSB 18's) I live 4 miles from the old Brushy Prison.
Nice tight groups indeed! Yes I misread your first post and you went up and not down, guess I'm convinced that I'm high on fps just because the video has been the only source until now, but who knows I might actually be low. I will mark factory position of hammer and make a few turns up just to see what it does to the reg and my groups. Definitely going to invest in a chrono and now start researching that. By chance do you remember how many turns you made clockwise before it topped out on the hammer?

Still need to pick up a pull thru to clean barrel, recommendations on that or a cleaner? What brand of silicone do you use for the O rings? You mentioned earlier giving the Reg time to break in, how many shots would you estimate that to take?

Yeah I would go counter clockwise on the hammer spring almost all the way to the end. You may be over 950fps already. In your case with the reg being just slightly lower it would put you around 880fps which is normally perfect for JSB 18's. I had Pyramyd Air do the 10 for 10 when I bought it just to make sure there were no problems before they mailed it. They may have adjusted the hammer spring. I'm not sure because they tested RWS Hobby 11.9 grains in their chronograph test for some reason at 1055fps.

Reactions: Opfor
Nice tight groups indeed! Yes I misread your first post and you went up and not down, guess I'm convinced that I'm high on fps just because the video has been the only source until now, but who knows I might actually be low. I will mark factory position of hammer and make a few turns up just to see what it does to the reg and my groups. Definitely going to invest in a chrono and now start researching that. By chance do you remember how many turns you made clockwise before it topped out on the hammer?

Still need to pick up a pull thru to clean barrel, recommendations on that or a cleaner? What brand of silicone do you use for the O rings? You mentioned earlier giving the Reg time to break in, how many shots would you estimate that to take?
Many members use PatchWorm Pull-Thru Cleaner and Ballistol. Heavy-weight silicone oil, like used for treadmill exercise machines is preferred as well as silicone grease, like plumbers use for faucet "O" rings.

So would you recommend I turn the hammer down a bit, perhaps 1 full turn at a time? What did your regulator pressure drop to after dialing that down?

adjusting the hammer spring will not lower your regulator pressure.

hammer spring and regulator pressure are 2 separate adjustments.

get a chrono before you touch any adjustments,
ive seen way too many.....
"help,i messed up my gun" threads from people who dont yet understand how to tune a pcp.

some of the cheap china chronos are under 40 bucks.

no 2 guns will shoot the same with the same settings,
so plugging in someone elses hammer spring and reg settings isnt going to tune your gun.

Last edited:
Greetings AGN,
New to the group and my first post. I'm new to PCP but not new with shooting airguns so I do have a few questions on fine tuning my new Avenge X. Went with the Classic in .22, mounted a Talos BTR Gen 2 ,have a Donny FL RYU mounted as well and shooting JSB Heavy Diabolo 18.13gr. So out of the box stock does anyone know what the FPS is from factory? I did find one video from Nate at Airgun Channel doing a review that indicated his was around 950fps, just curious if others have found this to be true? It also sounds like the best accuracy and performance for this platform might be around 890fps, wondering if this is true?

I've got this one dialed in pretty good at 45yds but the frustrating part is that my POI seems to move on me from time to time, about 1-2" on windage. I reluctantly made corrections only to find 10 shots later it needs to go back to where it was. I've checked my scope and mount and yes they are tight. I'm curious if this could be caused by a high out of the box setting and maybe the hammer needs to be dialed down a bit. If so can this be done realistically without a chrono?

My regulator seems to hang out around 2000psi, does this sound about right? So far I'm just thru my first can of 500 pellets. Appreciate any help or advice on fine tuning this in.

View attachment 411457

View attachment 411458
I have found the best tune to shot this 18.13 grains JSB pellets with my Avenge-X classic in .22 cal with his reg set to only 1800 psi with 0 turns to the h/s (all the way to the left). Remember that all this particular new avenge-X airguns for a unknown reason unlike the first gen ones after they are completely degassed they retain air in their plenum, so if a must to dry fired them a couple of times BEFORE you start to decrease their reg air pressure otherwise you will damage them.

IMG_7790.jpeg

IMG_7792.png

IMG_7791.png

IMG_7767.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope nobody else have had the same issue I had with my Avenge-X in .22 cal. Because my Arken SH-4 FFP 4-16x50 scope comes with the larger 34mm tube size and I used with the Arken medium height size rings, the oem high capacity 16 shots mag that comes with this new X series rifles doesn’t fit in the breach. So for this reason I am shooting currently this rifle only with the smaller standard size mag along my others aftermarket Carm magazines. Btw this .22 cal avengers becomes a little more accurate when you used them with this mags vs the oem ones just a small tip…😉. But with my other avenge-X in the bigger .25 cal I didn’t had this same issue because I installed this same scope with the high height size rings.

IMG_7793.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out Steve's (AEAC) video, "Air Rifle Barrel Cleaning," on YouTube. Six years old but very helpful in understanding PatchWorm and Ballistol. WM
I also always clean all my airguns barrels before I start to use them with my pachtworm cleaning kit. This is a must to achieve the best accuracy as possible with them 👍💪

adjusting the hammer spring will not lower your regulator pressure.

hammer spring and regulator pressure are 2 separate adjustments.

get a chrono before you touch any adjustments,
ive seen way too many.....
"help,i messed up my gun" threads from people who dont yet understand how to tune a pcp.

some of the cheap china chronos are under 40 bucks.

no 2 guns will shoot the same with the same settings,
so plugging in someone elses hammer spring and reg settings isnt going to tune your gun.
Great points and I fully Concur, I don't want to be THAT GUY, lol. I'm doing some research now on picking up a chrono and not going to touch anything until I see where my readings are at. What type of chrono do you use and recommend?

Last edited: