• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Automatic Transmission fluid to lubricate main spring

I deleted my jerk post. Peace
I apolgize for my comment to you, I had no idea this thread would degenerate into insults and comments that have nothing to do with the topic, I'm sorry for being so harsh, but I expected a more civil discussion rather than being told what to do and any disagreement I might have being met with insults and contempt. I still never received an intelligent response as to why using transmission fluid or spring oil could damage a spring piston air rifle. I suspect the reason for that is if used properly they won't. I just watched a video by Tom Gaylord and he said oil wasn't the best lubricant to use on mainsprings but he did not say to avoid it at all costs like what was implied here. I'll never post a thread on this topic again, I hope I'm not black listed for this LOL

Okay here you go. RWS spring oil is not a petroleum product, therefore not combustible. Transmission fluid on the other hand is, putting it in the internals of your spring piston AG can cause dieseling and damage a piston seal and/or lead to spring failure. This is all information that is readily available. As I said earlier if you want to use it, go for it, your gun.

Reactions: ninersix
Okay here you go. RWS spring oil is not a petroleum product, therefore not combustible. Transmission fluid on the other hand is, putting it in the internals of your spring piston AG can cause dieseling and damage a piston seal and/or lead to spring failure. This is all information that is readily available. As I said earlier if you want to use it, go for it, your gun.
Mobil transmission fluid is fully synthetic and won't cause detonation which is what I think you meant. All spring guns diesel to some degree, this coming from Tom Gaylord himself. Do you have the MSDS sheet on the RWS spring oil? I ask this because the company warns you NOT to allow it to get into the compression chamber. In addition, the company does not claim it to be synthetic. By the way, the grease you people are so fond of is a petroleum based product as well and requires care in how much you apply or it can migrate to the compression chamber and cause detonation too. Thanks for the reply, it's better than many I've received here.

I am using the proper product, the company that MADE my rifle sells it and recommends it LMAO The transmission fluid I mentioned is just an alternative to a $14.00 one ounce bottle of a repackaged automotive lubricant. Thanks for the condescending attitude and you know what you can do with your KY jelly 😉 👍
I will apologize for my non-productive contribution. Was being a little silly. Good luck and happy airgunning!

Mobil transmission fluid is fully synthetic and won't cause detonation which is what I think you meant. All spring guns diesel to some degree, this coming from Tom Gaylord himself. Do you have the MSDS sheet on the RWS spring oil? I ask this because the company warns you NOT to allow it to get into the compression chamber. In addition, the company does not claim it to be synthetic. By the way, the grease you people are so fond of is a petroleum based product as well and requires care in how much you apply or it can migrate to the compression chamber and cause detonation too. Thanks for the reply, it's better than many I've received here.
Well I am no expert but the flashpoint of fully synthetic Mobil 1 transmission fluid is 451F, gets a lot hotter than that in a spring piston gun's compression chamber. Seems like it could still cause dieseling. I'm done, as I don't know more than what I read on this topic.

I bet you guys are a barrel of laughs at the Christmas party...
Buddy, you are apparently thick skinned. And that's cool. I am too. I don't care what people say and rarely reply to sarcasm unless I can have some fun with it. I don't often take offense to anything. Self control and character, confidence.
My intent is not to laugh at you but to laugh with you.
A pastor on the radio (Steve Brown, Key Life ministries) often said this:
Lighten up,
And live!
Have a blessed day (y)

Reactions: fishing43
Thanks guys, my new piston seal should be here by this weekend, I bought a Vortek that has the moly impregnated into the seal at the recommendation of this fella from Pennsylvania. I'll pick up some moly grease in the mean time and give it a whirl.

Take care
Both good choices, exactly what I and a lot of others use.;)

Way to liquidy. You want something thicker like bearing grease so it holds onto the spring.

I've recieved a few guns from the classifieds with a clear-ish grease on the spring and I'm curious as to what it is. Super Lube maybe? If anyone has an answer for that I'd appreciate it.
Yes, if it is a clear grease, (like a sticky clear translucent grease) it is probably a 100% silicone grease called "Molykote 111 Grease" probably a viscosity of CST 2000 (I would have to look it up). It is used mostly in scuba equipment and other special uses. I use it myself on the springs in my Umarex Co2 BB guns and other special uses. (I am a scuba diver I still am certified). It can be bought on Amazon. I do not recommend any petroleum oils or greases on air/co2 guns, petrolioum oil will degrade thye rubber seals in the air chambers of air guns over time silicone oils and greases will not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sqwirl57
Yes, if it is a clear grease, (like a sticky clear translucent grease) it is probably a 100% silicone grease called "Molykote 111 Grease" probably a viscosity of CST 2000 (I would have to look it up). It is used mostly in scuba equipment and other special uses. I use it myself on the springs in my Umarex Co2 BB guns and other special uses. (I am a scuba diver I still am certified). It can be bought on Amazon. I do not recommend any petroleum oils or greases on air/co2 guns.
That may be it. Thank you!

Automatic Transmission fluid made by Mobil IS a fully synthetic product "Modern Automatic Transmission Fluid consists of a base oil plus an additive package containing a wide variety of chemical compounds intended to provide the required properties of a particular Alphabet org specification. Most ATFs contain some combination of additives that improve lubricating qualities,[2][3][4] such as anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, detergents, dispersants and surfactants (which protect and clean metal surfaces); kinematic viscosity and viscosity index improvers and modifiers, seal swell additives and agents (which extend the rotational speed range and temperature range of the additives' application" You're right it is an oil, but with these wonderful properties and I was just joking with Mycap, I guess I should have made that more obvious.👍
I do not want to argue so please give me a break here, however, (Synthetic) oil is made from natural gas, hence synthetic, it is still a petroleum product much like Pellgun oil. I would never advise anyone to use a petroleum product on any air/Co2 gun that could get neer an air chamber.

That may be it. Thank you!
I just looked it up and Molykote 111 has a CST rating of about 12,000 not 2000. CST stands for centistrices it is a viscosity rating (thickness) something about how many centimeters /per second will flow thru a tube blah blah blah. It is very thick. It is silicone grease with silicone thickeners.
I use 100% Silicone oil on my Co2 BB guns with a CST rating between 100 and 350 CST depending on which part I am oiling.

Silicone properties (Not Petroleum oils)
Here are the facts for 100% Silicone oil and grease.
100% silicone oil will not affect metal, plastic, rubber or any other material.

100% silicone oil/ grease has 6 (Six) main properties:

1)
it is very very slippery.
2) It coats almost all materials it comes into contact with. (However, Silicone oil/grease cannot deal with polar molecules such as fuels, and paint thinners, strong acids and Bases.) None of which are in your air (Co2) gun. Silicon oil will NOT absorb Co2.
3) It displaces water (H2O), water moisture cannot exist in a 100% silicone oil environment. It will evaporate or slide off.
4) The SI molecules are so small and tightly packed together the UV rays cannot penetrate the coating.
5) The operating temp of 100% silicone oil/grease is -58 degrees F to +393 degrees F.
6) 100% Silicone oil will not evaporate over a long long period of time.

i really can't believe this post is still going here was the question

Automatic Transmission fluid to lubricate main spring​

i said no because it would not stay in place and i don't care if the damn gun blows up it is the right lube STOP

Alphabet org has the same viscosity as the vegetable oil you use in the kitchen to make cakes and or brownie
so what would have is oil dripping out the action though the stock on your hands
who care if the gun would detonate Alphabet org is the wrong product but then again why the hell do i care
5 bloody pages on a question that should and was answered on page 1

Reactions: ninersix
i really can't believe this post is still going here was the question

Automatic Transmission fluid to lubricate main spring​

i said no because it would not stay in place and i don't care if the damn gun blows up it is the right lube STOP

Alphabet org has the same viscosity as the vegetable oil you use in the kitchen to make cakes and or brownie
so what would have is oil dripping out the action though the stock on your hands
who care if the gun would detonate Alphabet org is the wrong product but then again why the hell do i care
5 bloody pages on a question that should and was answered on page 1
Calm down and just let people talk and give their opinions; what is so upsetting about that? I think a little introspection on your part is needed. Also do not take everything so personally. You will live a longer and happier life.

Well like everything else,

It depends on how long you want your thing(s) to keep running or shooting.

But jccams is correct RWS is a silicone oil, silicone oil is perfect for air guns, Co2 included. Silicone will not diesel in the chamber or barrel. The operating temperature range of silicone is from -53F to +395F degrees. That is why silicone is the manufactures recommended oil to use.

Last edited: