Atomic Rat Control (Pictorial)

Last week I made a visit to one of my larger commercial permissions for two days of hunting both Ground Squirrels and rats. This is one of many trips I've paid to this large property but turned out to be one of the most productive trips I've encountered with the rats infestation of epic proportions. For this trip I was loaded with both the New Brocock Atomic and the Daystate Delta Wolf, both great tools for this job. Marley and I arrived to this property late afternoon around 4:30, perfect time to start our trip off with some ground squirrel hunting.

Snapshot.1623162054.png

This large several hundred acre poultry farm has an abundance of these furry terrorist that have caused a ton of damage around the buildings, equipment and trees. The ground squirrels burrow holes that cause erosion, carry disease and chew through wiring that is very expensive to repair. I brought the New Brocock Atomic chambered in .22 caliber and shooting just under 20 fpe using the 18gr JSB's. This is a choice gun for this type of work where liability is a factor in and around buildings with enough power to reach out to reasonable ranges with confidence. This gun is lightweight, compact and extremely accurate and adjustable as far as power. When working around a farm it's important for me to be safe, to many things can go horribly wrong with some of the larger calibers but we will get into more of that later on.

Snapshot_5.1623162487.png

Marley and I moved down through the row of large buildings that containing 25,000 to 50,000 egg laying chickens, a huge facility to say the least.

Snapshot_6.1623162609.png

At the end of the row of buildings is a large embankment that's covered in ground squirrel burrows, late afternoon after the heat has died down is usually the best time of day to spot them moving around outside the holes.

Snapshot_10.1623162741.png

Marley and I sat on top of a literal pile of chicken $h*t, sometimes we have to make sacrifices to get the best shot possible hahaha

Snapshot_7.1623162843.png

I was able to take several of these ground squirrels within a few minutes with the ranges between 35 and 60 yards, perfect range for the Atomic to make some ethical kills.

Snapshot_8.1623162936.png

Snapshot_11.1623162969.png

Snapshot_12.1623162996.png

Snapshot_13.1623163011.png

After spending about an hour with a few good kills under our belt Marley and I headed back to the Jeep for a much needed water break. After our break I took some time to configure the Atomic XR for going into the buildings for some nighttime ratting.

Snapshot_14.1623163089.png

I first turned the Atomic down to 12 fpe and re-zeroed it to 15 yards as well as mounting a Tactacam 5.0 Wide angle camera to the side of the scope. This configuration would allow me to film in more of a first person perspective and the power level would allow me to more safely shoot indoors. Beyond that I added a high end gun light manufactured by Olight, this was the Odin model that gives a nice wide beam that would help with capturing some good footage with the camera. This light is rechargeable and has a runtime of about 45 minutes. As the sun is about to set over the Chicken buildings/Ratting grounds. Time to gear up and get ready for the nightly invasion of fury terrorists…

Snapshot_15.1623163434.png

Row, after row, after row, of mechanical driven automatic feeders, providing a “Free-for-All-Feeding”. When the lights go out,… the rats COME out, (in DROVES !)

Snapshot_17.1623163703.png

Here is where they will be moving up in the rafters, right over your head, behind you, in front of you, beside you, between your feet, and all around you. Yes, several times I have considered taping up my pant legs so they don’t go crawling up my leg!

Snapshot_18.1623163754.png

I like using lower powered magazine fed guns for this type of work due to the water pipes, mechanical components to the feeders and the roof. When working indoors being safe is of absolute importance, we have to pick each shot carefully to make sure NOT to cause damage. Marley and I worked the rows concentrating mostly on the rafters, floor and the walls, keeping shots out of the caged areas. 

Snapshot_20.1623163983.png

Snapshot_21.1623163997.png

This building had thousands of rats that sound like a waterfall on the metal roof, hoards of them scurrying away from the light running each other over to make through the many hiding spots. So many rats that they would get stuck, trip over each other and fall from the rafters....some of the shots were point blank and others were no more than a few feet away. One of the best tools is the Misenheimer pellet pouch that easily holds an entire two tins of .22 caliber JSB's

Snapshot_22.1623164287.png

Those 11 shots went really quick and the first few minutes were as action packed as one could ever hope for, incredible amount of rats. I had brought in my large movie light to have somewhat of a base to stop, take breaks and reload. The first hour went really quick with easily 100 rats taken down, Marley was as busy as I was killing every one she saw.

Snapshot_19.1623164602.png

Snapshot_54.1623164765.png

Snapshot_53.1623164782.png

As we approached close to 200+ rats I decided to head down one of the rows and out the back door of the building. As I headed down the row I spotted a large Owl perched on in the rafters, we weren't the only ones hunting tonight.

Snapshot_28.1623164936.png

Pretty neat to be able to get that close, beautiful looking Owl and certainly a well few one. As we moved down the row towards the back door we took down another drove of rats that were collected in one area for some reason.

Snapshot_26.1623165061.png

Most of the shots were only about 8' away, not as easy as the ones at 10 to 15 yards where I had a much wider field of view. I really think a dot site would be good but using a scope offers much more precision shots. As we moved out the back door I turned to my right where I spotted around 30 rats scurrying about on the roof of the next building.

Snapshot_29.1623165295.png

I emptied two magazines killing close to 18 rats in a matter of seconds, was pretty exciting and fulfilling watching them roll off the roof and bounce around. I reloaded the Atomic, turned around and spotted another one sitting inside the building on an empty cage rack. THWAAACK!!!!

Snapshot_30.1623165478.png

By this time it was 12:00 midnight and Marley and I were both exhausted from a long afternoon and evening of marching around killing hoards of pest. We headed back to the Jeep where I made some coffee and filmed for a few segments for the enclosed video.

Snapshot_31.1623167227.png

Snapshot_32.1623167238.png

Snapshot_33.1623167248.png

Our total count by the end of the night was up to over 250+ rats down, I've never encountered a place so infested in my life....it was simply incredible! The plan was to get up early and get out with the Daystate Delta Wolf for some long range action on the few ground squirrels left on the hillsides. 

Snapshot_34.1623167412.png

Marley and I slept really good, my feet were killing me though from the long night of walking around. I made my morning cup of coffee, some breakfast and set the Delta Wolf up with the Tactacam FTS to capture some action. 

Snapshot_36.1623167521.png

Snapshot_35.1623167534.png

Marley and I headed out around 7:30 am to hopefully take down some ground squirrels before it started getting way to hot to be out in the sun. 

Snapshot_38.1623167620.png

We set ourselves up in a similar spot as the day before with a few ground squirrels moving about at 100 yards, easy pickings for the Delta Wolf.

Snapshot_39.1623167747.png

Snapshot_40.1623167761.png

Snapshot_41.1623167772.png

I had the Delta Wolf conservatively tuned to shoot the 44gr JSB's at 880 giving just around 75 fpe and offering a good shot count. I could have set the gun up to shoot slugs at a much higher power level but to be honest it's just to much liability for me to do that on this farm. Marley and I moved up higher onto a hill where I was able to get a nice panoramic view of the surrounding area, with holes out to around 130 yards. 

Snapshot_43.1623167971.png

Snapshot_44.1623167981.png

I spotted a large adult ground squirrel at 155 yards that was sitting just in front of some old chicken cages, perfect range for opening up the Delta Wolf's potential.

Snapshot_45.1623168072.png

Snapshot_46.1623168084.png

Snapshot_47.1623168098.png

This was one of the further kills I've gotten with the Delta Wolf and to be honest about as far as I'm comfortable with as far as using pellets. Beyond those ranges with the wind it can sometimes become a big guessing game and not something I prefer to do on a permission due to extreme liability. These large caliber airguns have immense power and are capable of great harm if not used carefully. This is one reason I generally like shooting from a higher ground and not up into the air, the potential for disaster is far to great just for killing a pest. Moving down the hill I spotted one more that I was able to connect with at 100 just as it was moving back into the burrow.

Snapshot_48.1623168444.png

Snapshot_49.1623168455.png

Snapshot_50.1623168485.png

Snapshot_51.1623168497.png

This two day adventure is defiantly one for the books and one that I will remember for a long time, really action packed few days. Marley and I will be back, I learned a lot about the best tools for the job and gained some good experience for filming at night. I really want to thank Airguns Of Arizona for providing all the gear I used on this trip, without them I wouldn't be able to do any of these big excursions. Enclosed is our adventure that I documented the best I could through video, hope some may enjoy. 

Cheers,

Dana

https://youtu.be/wgfdnUVQP4E

Reactions: kingsqueak
Great report Dana. If you want any company next time, let me know. My buddy Nick (@socaloldman) and I used to have a permission on a pig farm in Chino that was rat infested. Great fun, almost like a video game. We even bought some cheaper night vision scopes (NightOwl) which made the experience even better... 

Mike

Link to NightOwl Nightvision scope below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CKJ1Z9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5KJQ6P3XF9HWDV5YF36B

so many great points: power isn't everything, safety first, and even in area's with buildings and people, there can be fun hunting to be had.

I'd like to share that I use a dog treat bag, spring closure with a comfortable belt strap, to hold my pellets and spare magazines at the ready.

At night, everything is tougher to accomplish and complete understanding of your equipment, the manual of arms to operate it, and knowledge of the building are imperative.

Before taking anyone ratting on an excursion, I go through all of the equipment in my well lit garage, test fire all of the different guns, and make sure they can handle them almost blindfolded, as when the lights are out- you are just about blind.

Good work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSgi4DDpct0

Nice video Dana, these rat populations in these agricultural facilities truly amaze me. You probably already do this for Marley with all the rodent hunting you do, but just in case be sure to check him for fleas. We have roof rats that are now unfortunately endemic in our neighborhood and the the city, and I always keep traps out for them, and every couple months I usually get a few. A few times coinciding with some rat trappings I have seen fleas on my dog. I can’t say for certain its the rats, as we have some feral cats, cottontail rabbits, and an occasional raccoon that wander through our yard but rats are just good to blame! I have a couple flea remedies that work good on my dog and yard, pm if needed.

Great report Dana. If you want any company next time, let me know. My buddy Nick (@socaloldman) and I used to have a permission on a pig farm in Chino that was rat infested. Great fun, almost like a video game. We even bought some cheaper night vision scopes (NightOwl) which made the experience even better... 

Mike

Link to NightOwl Nightvision scope below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CKJ1Z9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5KJQ6P3XF9HWDV5YF36B

Thanks Mike, I've used a few different inexpensive night optics but it's a whole different ballgame when trying to film. I don't hunt at night often enough to justify buying stuff like that. A simple flashlight works well for the large numbers we encountered. 

@crossman999 thanks for another rest video and I hope Marley’s agent is making sure he gets those milkbone bonuses he so much deserves.

Also, I see now around the far is where that Brocock can excel.

Thanks for checking it out, she gets heavily rewarded for her hard work. The Atomic is a great choice for this type of work around the farm. The farmer was more than pleased with how many we took down, if I lived closer it would be a more regular past time.

Nice video Dana, these rat populations in these agricultural facilities truly amaze me. You probably already do this for Marley with all the rodent hunting you do, but just in case be sure to check him for fleas. We have roof rats that are now unfortunately endemic in our neighborhood and the the city, and I always keep traps out for them, and every couple months I usually get a few. A few times coinciding with some rat trappings I have seen fleas on my dog. I can’t say for certain its the rats, as we have some feral cats, cottontail rabbits, and an occasional raccoon that wander through our yard but rats are just good to blame! I have a couple flea remedies that work good on my dog and yard, pm if needed.

Thanks for checking it out, thankfully she doesn't have problems with fleas. I give her a bath asap after every hunt that I think helps. I've had other dogs that havent been as lucky, they had longer hair that I think contributed to the problem. 

Hi Dana, Great Pictorial and even better Video! You production quality just keeps getting better! I know this must be a ton of hard work and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Appreciate it much, yes it's a good amount of work but I've enjoyed my time doing this. It's the kind of work you never stop learning to improve. Hopefully I can put more videos out soon, it's my busy time of year.