ATN X-Sight 5

One of the Shot Show videos I watched they mentioned the 240 fps worked with the recoils activated video record function. I'm hoping it's a selectable option for all recording because the recoil activated function isn't really reliable when shooting PCPs! If not at first, if enough people complain, maybe they'll enable it in a future firmware update. If it works witht he Recoil activated video, it should be easy enough to enable it for regular recording!

Guess what just arrived? Yep, and here are a couple teasers:

IMG_2681.jpg

Lots of space in the shipping box, but only the X-Sight 5 inside!

IMG_2683.jpg

Here's the X-Sight 5 next to the X-Sight 4K Pro.
IMG_2684.jpg

And, a close up of the controls on top of the scope. The zoom wheel is gone and it's an electronic zoom now.

I have the scope and the battery for the IR Lamp charging. YES, the new IR Lamp takes the rechargeable 18650 battery, but it is the buttonless design. Still, it beats replacing those 123A batteries when they die because you forgot to loosen the rear cap of the lamp after use! I just hope they fixed that also and turning it off actually means it's turned off and doesn't still drain the battery! I guess time will tell.

I have it mounted to my Huben and once it's fully charged I'll zero it and capture some video.

Well, not all is roses here! I've already discovered a problem! I can't properly zero it because the crosshairs that are superimposed over the reticle while zeroing don't align with the reticle! The are superimposed to the upper left bat about 2-3 clicks! Trying to guess where it should be is proving quite frustrating. I even tried just adjusting by click right and down the old fashion way, but the adjustments are not nearly as refined as they are on the 4K Pro! It may be going back if there's no way for the end user to fix it.

Also, 240 fps only works with the recoild activated record function! I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but it kinda leaves us PCP shooters lacking a key unction!

Reactions: Ronin001
Well, not all is roses here! I've already discovered a problem! I can't properly zero it because the crosshairs that are superimposed over the reticle while zeroing don't align with the reticle! The are superimposed to the upper left bat about 2-3 clicks! Trying to guess where it should be is proving quite frustrating. I even tried just adjusting by click right and down the old fashion way, but the adjustments are not nearly as refined as they are on the 4K Pro! It may be going back if there's no way for the end user to fix it.

Also, 240 fps only works with the recoild activated record function! I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but it kinda leaves us PCP shooters lacking a key unction!
Have you tried one shot zero? That's the way I zero all of my ATN scopes.

I was able to get good results with RAV with my FX Maverick VP .30cal, but they also say in the manual they were able to calibrate the RAV to work with a .22cal airgun.

Reactions: islandmanstx
Yea, the one shot zero works great on my 4K Pro scopes and the RAV works as well, but not consistantly. This one is going back, I just submitted the request for an RMA. Too many issues to deal with! Here's a summary of the issues I have found this afternoon while trying to zero it.

The compass won't calibrate, the white crosshair does not align with the reticle when trying to zero. RAV isn't working, it won't go into calibrate mode with the number flashing. When trying to adjust the reticle while zeroing, it moves by a variable of 10 at 5X, it shouldn't be that large of steps, 10 is way to course to get it properly zeroed.

The focus isn't as clear as my 4K Pro and it's supposed to be better! I even drilled a hole in an old flip-up lense cap and attached it to try to improve the focal length like you can on the 4K Pro, but that didn't seem to help. I have tried rebooting it and restoring it to factor settings and nothing has changed. Thus far, I am not impressed at all! Maybe I got a lemon, but if the replacement isn't any better, I'll be requesting a refund!

I'm hoping this one was just a lemon and the replacement lives up to the hype. If not, it'll go back and I'll wait till they get the bugs worked out. I hate when these companies use consumers as beta testers, with no compensation! And frustration with all the bugs is no compensation! 😁

Damn now I hope they are late with mine! It sucks being the guinea pig and not told you are! Nothing worse than shipping a product with known problems! I really liked my 4k Pro and the impetus was that this scope was going to be better, smaller and lighter! We'll see if you get the RMA out and back before the others ship! Keep us posted. The Pard is looking better...

I'm kinda glad I didn't trade one of my 4K Pros for this one, I still have them to use and in comparison, they definately function better. I do like the slimmer lighter style of the Gen 5, but if it doesn't work, it's not much good. I even tried to shoot a rat with it mounted to my Huben yesterday afternoon and it kept locking up when I tried to zoom or even when I tried to record. I never did get a recording off it, so can't even compare the quality to the 4K.

Speaking of that, it's not really as advertised either, better than the 4K Pro, but not a true 4K at all recording speeds. 4K is recorded at 30 FPS, 2K is at 60 FPS and the 120 FPS is at 1440. I have no idea what resolution the 240 FPS records at, but hoping it's at least 1080, that is if the RAV works with a PCP! And NV, I never got a chance to try that either. In the setttings it just has Low and High as the options, but no explanation as to what that is! And those Optics Experts you get through chat seem to lie therough their teeth, so I don't trust anything they say, when you can actually get a straight answer from them. About all they are good for is taking an order or sending an e-mail for an RMA, which I haven't received yet... I hope I get it this morning so I can ship it out today!

I'm kinda glad I didn't trade one of my 4K Pros for this one, I still have them to use and in comparison, they definately function better. I do like the slimmer lighter style of the Gen 5, but if it doesn't work, it's not much good. I even tried to shoot a rat with it mounted to my Huben yesterday afternoon and it kept locking up when I tried to zoom or even when I tried to record. I never did get a recording off it, so can't even compare the quality to the 4K.

Speaking of that, it's not really as advertised either, better than the 4K Pro, but not a true 4K at all recording speeds. 4K is recorded at 30 FPS, 2K is at 60 FPS and the 120 FPS is at 1440. I have no idea what resolution the 240 FPS records at, but hoping it's at least 1080, that is if the RAV works with a PCP! And NV, I never got a chance to try that either. In the setttings it just has Low and High as the options, but no explanation as to what that is! And those Optics Experts you get through chat seem to lie therough their teeth, so I don't trust anything they say, when you can actually get a straight answer from them. About all they are good for is taking an order or sending an e-mail for an RMA, which I haven't received yet... I hope I get it this morning so I can ship it out today!
That's why I'm just gonna keep my X-Sight 4K Pro as a backup scope. Unfortunately, I already sold my Thor 4 thermal scope to get the Thor 5 XD....

I'm keeping my two 4K Pros, one is 3-14X the other is a 5-20X and they are mounted on two different airguns. The new one, if it pans out, will be on another airgun. Now the Thor LT 160 may be traded for a Thor LTV 160, depending upon what I get for the LT. Resolution isn't the greatest, but I miss the capability of recording video of the shots!

I thought the one I ordered was supposed to poop on the 25th also and then it shipped early. I was excited until I discovered all the issues. Like you said, I'm hoping it's just a firmware issue and they get the bugs worked out. But, it is were just a firmware issue, why didn't they just issue an update. There have been other report on the ATN Owner's FB Group with the same issues, so it's not just one...

I got the scope charged and mounted. Zeroing was a PITA! I finally got it zeroed at 25 yards but it took me 30 shots to get it zeroed where with my 4k Pro it took 1! And as @FLgunner said, the focus is really worse than my 4K Pro! I will be contacting them to ask if they have a firmware update to clear it up or else it will be going back. This was at 25 yards starting on 3 and through 15. My Pard NV007s focuses sharper than the Gen 5! Oh and it ate my first microSD card! I've also had a lockup, but only one in an hour of tinkering with the zero function. I don't think the push button zoom is intuitive to a shooter, either and I'm a systems guy! Needs some "polishing"

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Did the white crosshair align with the reticle when you went to zero it? Mine didn't which made it impossible to zero. You also have to zoom in to at least 10-12X to reduce the interval it moves! With no zoom, one tap of the adjustment was 10 clicks! You really can't fine tune it on low zoom. I can very easily zero my 4K Pro compared to the Gen 5. You'd think since that system worked, they'd have left it alone!

When I tried the push button zoom, it would just continue to zoom up to the max zoom and the whole screen would flash making it impossible to see anything. I had to hard reset it and restart it after doing a "smooth zoom" which isn't really all that smooth...

No, mine is not working like that. I was able to press the "zoom" (F2) and then go from 3 to 15 and both crosshairs were very distinct and the movement at 15x was commensurate with the zoom level. It seemed like I would press the horizontal movement button 4 times to get very small movement and I was able to get the similar precision as the 4K Pro. The learning curve was much higher! I think I have it down now and also went in and set the ballistics. The LRF is working correctly at the few distances I have tried - 15 yards out to about 45 - no more room at this point.

But I can't get over the focus. My eyes are bad enough to not be able to get the image clear enough with me squinting. And the focus quality is across the board, so it's not like it's great at 3 and sucks at 15. Hoping that is a firmware fix! I'll try and take it out further and see how it does at 100 even though I won't be able to see it!