• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

ATN X-sight-4k Pro 5-20x Review

I have the

with the latest firmware 3.1.03.271 and have decided to return it.

My main complaints is for what this thing cost (and I ordered the rangefinder that attaches to it as well but haven't received it yet), I expected better.

note: regarding the rangefinder, I had ordered it with the scope but it has been out of stock the entire time I've had the scope. Funny thing is that about 10 minutes after submitting my RMA request, Opticsplanet sent me a shipping confirmation that it was ready to be shipped out from IL... HAHA.

So I found the digital zoom just too grainy for my taste. Glass quality is meh. At 20-35 yards it's fine but at 50 it's unacceptable. My previous scope on my air rifle was an Leapers UTG Accushot Premium Scope 30mm 6-24x 56mm 1/8 MOA Adjustments Side Focus Zero Lock 36 Color Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle with Max Strength Rings Matte

So here is the picture at 50 yards with a 20 shot group if I recall (2 mags) from my .22 Vulcan Tactical shooting JSB 18gr diabolos.

I am using the highest magnification with the extended setting in the advanced menu, about 50x.

1543074129_20275113075bf971515d7829.38929792_ATNX0010.JPG

(ignore the time stamp, it resetted while I was trying to edit my profile in the menu and I didn't notice. This was yesterday.)

I also had the screen freeze on me several time that required a long press (10+ sec on the power button) to shut down. The image on the screen while still visible, you are unable to zoom or gointo the menu. In addition I had wifi connection issues with my iPhone 8 that required me to forget this device and resync. In total, I had 4 freezes and 2 connection issues during the 2 times I used this feature. Firmware (while improving I hear) is still buggy.

I did really like the zero reticle feature, really easy to use. I love the HUD showing wind, inclination, compass heading, pressure, temperature, built in level…

I mean this thing is a technology treasure trove. I debated keeping it just as a spotting scope… the photo and video recording is also very convenient.

The night vision is also pretty decent. The included 3 scope rings are a very nice touch but the included ir light while bright enough for 30 yards should have included a rechargeable battery.

In short, if your shooting under 35 yards and need nightvision, this is great but past that ymmv.

Reactions: THFD
I have the

with the latest firmware 3.1.03.271 and have decided to return it.

My main complaints is for what this thing cost (and I ordered the rangefinder that attaches to it as well but haven't received it yet), I expected better.

note: regarding the rangefinder, I had ordered it with the scope but it has been out of stock the entire time I've had the scope. Funny thing is that about 10 minutes after submitting my RMA request, Opticsplanet sent me a shipping confirmation that it was ready to be shipped out from IL... HAHA.

So I found the digital zoom just too grainy for my taste. Glass quality is meh. At 20-35 yards it's fine but at 50 it's unacceptable. My previous scope on my air rifle was an Leapers UTG Accushot Premium Scope 30mm 6-24x 56mm 1/8 MOA Adjustments Side Focus Zero Lock 36 Color Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle with Max Strength Rings Matte

So here is the picture at 50 yards with a 20 shot group if I recall (2 mags) from my .22 Vulcan Tactical shooting JSB 18gr diabolos.

I am using the highest magnification with the extended setting in the advanced menu, about 50x.

1543074129_20275113075bf971515d7829.38929792_ATNX0010.JPG

(ignore the time stamp, it resetted while I was trying to edit my profile in the menu and I didn't notice. This was yesterday.)

I also had the screen freeze on me several time that required a long press (10+ sec on the power button) to shut down. The image on the screen while still visible, you are unable to zoom or gointo the menu. In addition I had wifi connection issues with my iPhone 8 that required me to forget this device and resync. In total, I had 4 freezes and 2 connection issues during the 2 times I used this feature. Firmware (while improving I hear) is still buggy.

I did really like the zero reticle feature, really easy to use. I love the HUD showing wind, inclination, compass heading, pressure, temperature, built in level…

I mean this thing is a technology treasure trove. I debated keeping it just as a spotting scope… the photo and video recording is also very convenient.

The night vision is also pretty decent. The included 3 scope rings are a very nice touch but the included ir light while bright enough for 30 yards should have included a rechargeable battery.

In short, if your shooting under 35 yards and need nightvision, this is great but past that ymmv.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Very good review, CmdCtl. 

I have that scope with the 3-14x magnification. I've experienced the issues you touched on. However, I have decided to stick with this technological marvel, shortcomings and all.

By the way, of my 12 PCPs -- last count, I think -- I keep the scope on my Vulcan Gen IV tactic .22 cal..

Digression: Very accurate rifle. I was about to purchase the Kalibrgun Cricket Mini carbine, until I realized the Vulcan looks a lot like the Vulcan Tactic. As such, I will try to wait for the next shipment of EDgun Matador R5m laminate to come in to EDgunWest.

Cmdctrl and I were shooting yesterday. I had the same scope except the 3-16 version.

I agree with him, the zero setting is awesome, but use a sled to make your life easier. I used the sled for the first shot and after moving the target back attempted to rezero using the Bipod. When you attempt to use the dial or buttons the image moves as expected and it might take a while to get the cross hairs aligned correctly. Yes, I found out later I could zero at X distance and use the rangefinder. DUH.

Now to the important parts to me. A scope should be clear and bright - FIRST. I'm not sure if it's one of three things, but I think it's the combination. One - Optics, Two-Sensor, and Three- Display. The display is bright and will need to be adjusted lower for night shooting, it will kill your night vision in short order. Day shooting, the image displayed is grainy, the 16X zoom didn't feel like it was a 16X magnification. I don't have any Optical Targets to test with so an honest review will have be left to others. There is not an lens in front of the sensor, so I believe the magnification is all digital.

I love the "stuff" if comes with, angle, range, tilt, compass, etc. etc. etc. but it should be a real scope first and then add the silly things like wifi, GPS, etc. etc.

I'm not sure at this point wither I will keep it or ship it back. The $600.00 price tag has me leaning a particular direction. My inexpensive Athlon 3-16 would make a better day scope so it may go back on. I may keep this just for video or night shooting, unless someone has a better answer.

Smitty 

I’ve had none of the issues you faced, but I also work with digital cameras quite a bit, so I know what will work and what won’t. It’s a digital scope, so expecting it to be like glass is setting yourself up for disappointment. With that said though, that video quality is terrible... so I get why your intitial thouhts are what they are...

some suggestions:

1) put the sun shade on. This is really a digital camera... reducing the amount of light will help sharpen things up. This is step / option 1. Option 2 is to get a cap and drill a small hole in the center. I don’t like this, as IMO you’re just putting a band aide on a faulty scope. 

2) ditch the included IR and get a higher powered one... you’ll see the individual hair on a racoon at 80 yards. All night vision depends on IR.

3) call ATN support and have them help you with the setup/settings. What your showing on video is pretty bad... so I get why you think it’s junk. That’s not what it should look like at all. There is either something you missed within the settings, or that scope is a lemon. Calling them and walking through it will allow the support team to either help you fix it, or they will see it’s broken, and will start the process of an exchange.

Oh wait... I see another major issue. You have the extended zoom enabled. Turn that off. I’m not even sure why they offer that... it will make things so grainy.

to save yourself time... I’d just call them and walk through each settings screen with them. They will tell you what to enable, diable, etc... but in the meantime, turn off the extended zoom

Reactions: Smitty911
I’ve had none of the issues you faced, but I also work with digital cameras quite a bit, so I know what will work and what won’t. It’s a digital scope, so expecting it to be like glass is setting yourself up for disappointment. With that said though, that video quality is terrible... so I get why your intitial thouhts are what they are...

some suggestions:

1) put the sun shade on. This is really a digital camera... reducing the amount of light will help sharpen things up. This is step / option 1. Option 2 is to get a cap and drill a small hole in the center. I don’t like this, as IMO you’re just putting a band aide on a faulty scope. 

2) ditch the included IR and get a higher powered one... you’ll see the individual hair on a racoon at 80 yards. All night vision depends on IR.

3) call ATN support and have them help you with the setup/settings. What your showing on video is pretty bad... so I get why you think it’s junk. That’s not what it should look like at all. There is either something you missed within the settings, or that scope is a lemon. Calling them and walking through it will allow the support team to either help you fix it, or they will see it’s broken, and will start the process of an exchange.

Good Call, I'll call them on Monday. I was just on the ATN website and the videos they show are definitely much clearer than what I was seeing. If it can be corrected, I'll keep it.

Smitty

Thanks, I realize that the extended zoom setting would result in very low quality video but he it's there so I had to try it.

I just got my Deadshot fieldpod tripod so I thought I'd test it out with a couple more setting on the ATN.

https://youtu.be/IfmOGaXDEWI

I noticed that the audio cuts out when zooming as someone had previously stated.

https://youtu.be/N9Cl7vsgClM

https://youtu.be/Hj_di8-FqMA

https://youtu.be/R6ijOHEAUAY

https://youtu.be/8mghSuluw40

Thanks for all the info, I’ve been looking at this for awhile but not owning a laptop has kept me from buying one for now but in the mean time I ran across this unit that might just be the ticket for yote hunting without spending 600.00 plus still needing a laptop, it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like a ATN but I’ll be able to see at night.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/04/laser-genetics-ns-300-laser-designator/#axzz5Xpi9COsa

One day this scope will be amazing , I mean a real game changer, but it's not there yet

#1 it needs to have.a GA drag profile added to the ballistic software 

#2 it needs to connect via wifi direct to a laser rangefinder 

3 it needs a better reticle option 

With these options added to this system our pellets guns will be on automatic mode, just ranging and the scope will dope for you. Add some weather software a kestrel and you'll just need to pull the trigger

ATN told.me they were working on these upgrades ,

Maybe a Kestrel 5700ab Elite.
1f44d.svg

Imold,

I was a Weather Observer in the Marine Corp, I can still tell when it's raining (I get wet), When the suns out ( I get burnt), When it snow (Californians have straws in their nose and are on all fours), When the wind blows (I lean), etc. etc.

I'm not spending $600 on a Kestrel 5700ab Elite. 😂

Thanks.

Smitty