• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

ATN X-Sight 4K 5-20x ordered

Coyotes have been killing lambs and calfs at the farms where I pest. I've tried getting them at dawn and dusk but no luck....they are active at "night".

So I will try for them in the overnight hours with this optic on one of my high powered rifles. Main reason I went with the new model was because it uses traditional scope rings, which will allow me to try it on the air rifles if I decide to do that.

Yes the reviews are sketchy (I believe some users are not following the instructions) but I need to do something to try and help the farmer. It seems that this unit will be decent to 200yds.....I will soon find out!

Good luck! I gave up on my 4K and put it back in it's box. Soooo many problems with ATN. They came out with an update, then pulled it with no explanation? With new update, mine would freeze up, no cross hairs in recorded video, and would not hold a zero. Sure I could zero it, min/max focus, etc. etc. spot on. UNTIL you try to use it again, then you have to re-zero. So frustrating. I have one of their older models, X-sight ll, and not near the problems. I may have gotten a lemon, but I dunno. Returning something is such a hassle, and the waiting..... Maybe ATN will come out with a fix in the future, I HOPE!

Bob_O,

Good luck my friend, I wish you well. I've owned and used, on a nightly basis, an X-Sight II HD for 2 years now. I got the night vision working well early on and have left it alone and not even bothered with all the other glitchy features. Night vision is all I use.

Here's a tip that you might appreciate: Instead of relying on the puny infra-red illuminator on the scope, I use infra-red floodlights that brightly (invisible to coyotes) illuminate my kill zones. They work brilliantly, so much so that I removed the on-board IR illuminator. What a VAST improvement. I will post a link to the product so that you can check it out. The nice part about them is, even though you plug them into a 120 volt outlet, 120 volts only runs a 12 volt switching power supply. The 198 IR LED's are run on 12 volts. That means that you can use them mobile, either plug them into a 120 volt converter, or remove the power supply and simply plug them into your vehicle's 12 volt system. You can mount these IR flood lights on your vehicle, or plug them into the 120 volt circuits in farm buildings, or run them off portable 12 volt batteries. On a dark night they illuminate as bright as a full moon for a quarter of a mile. You will see the coyotes coming that far away. And the closer they get, the brighter they get. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-198-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533831969&sr=8-2&keywords=IR+flood+light

I own 4 of these and trust me when I tell you they are the bee's knees for coyote hunting with the ATN Night Vision scopes. If you are interested in them, I will answer any and all questions before you buy. I've owned and used these nightly for 2 years.

Here's something that few even know about. The digital night vision scopes from ATN require some time to process the image; therefore there is some latency of from 1/4 to 1/2 a second, depending on the "sensitivity" setting that you choose in the software program. Use the lowest sensitivity setting to get the least lag, or latency. On a running coyote, 1/4 of a second lag can mean taking a shot when the coyote is not even visible in the display. Unsafe a best! You HAVE to get the coyote stationary somehow!!! I use bait and shoot them while they're feeding. If they move at all, I use a "mouth squeek", a smooching noise with my lips, to get them to stop and look directly at me. If they don't stop and you are tempted to take a moving shot, you must anticipate where he will be 1/4 to 1/2 a second from where he appears to be in the scope. ATN won't tell you this, and most ATN X scope users don't even know about it, much less inform you. To demonstrate my point, and to see this built-in latency for yourself, simply take the scope out on a night when there are thunderstorms close by. Keep both eyes open; one peering through the scope, and the other open to the heavens. When lightening strikes, you will see it live through your eye, but 1/4-1/2 second later in the display.

If you have questions, PM me. I can flatten the learning curve for you.

BeemanR7

1533835153_1528223125b6c7791f27514.24278459_0CE58F8D-8B10-4007-B879-96F739A4B3B5.png
Hey Bob I have the 4K 3-14x. I like the wider FOV compared to the 5-20x especially when scouting big plots of land for bigger game. 

I would recommend an aftermarket IR light if you’re planning on shooting past 50 yards. The included IR light is too weak. Also, it uses CR123 batteries, not the larger 1680 type rechargeable. 

Go ahead and register on the ATN website so you can have access to the latest firmware updates. 

If you plan on shooting during the day with it, you’ll need to buy a scope cover in addition to the scope hood and modify it with about a 3/16” hole in the center to improve contrast, decrease image washout, and increase depth of field. The one I bought is in the picture above. 

Thank you Sir!!

Is the objective lens the same size between the two versions? I got the 5x being the 3x wasn't in stock where I ordered from.

I also bought the ATN IR850 Pro light....hope hopefully that will do the trick out to 200 max.

I still need to decide if I want to have a dedicated night rifle, which if I do then it will be my AR-15. My other option is to put it on my 6.5 Creedmoor and use it for day and night, which will free up my Athlon scope to put back on one of the FX rifles.

Only reason I hesitate to do that is the 6.5 is sooo dialed in right now I really hate to touch it. But I don't really want to lug two centerire rifles around in the car, along with the two air rifles I always bring, and now a shotgun. Five guns in the back seat!!!

I don't like to put any gun in the trunk.

Looking forward to what you think of the ATN.

I used a 22-250 for yotes before my heart attack, used to get a call from my neighbor right before birthing at his dairy farm, We have way to many yotes around here, well everywhere. For long range I have a Savage 12 LRP 6.5 creedmore but the farthest I’ve shot that is only 1000 yards and I have a 45 min drive to that range, our local range only has a 300 for its longest shot.

I’ll sit and wait patiently for your review or thoughts on the ATN, the 5-20 is the one I was looking at but reviews kinda backed me off, my sons and I built a 8x8 deer stand so I can sit up there and wait for yotes to come out, I can use my Buddy heater in the fall and winter if I want to so it’s a win win plus I can shoot my crossbows out of it for deer hunting.