ATN: Spring Airgun Hunters

I just signed on to this forum and don't see a section for springer enthusiasts. 

How many guys on here are springer airgun hunters? Many air hunters and target shooters have gone to PCP in the last several years. However, I know there are some dedicated springer airgun enthusiasts like me still around that love the challenge of hunting and target shooting with a spring or gas ram gun. I really like the challenge of shooting my gas ram RX2.

Done a lot of hunting with both of my RX2s over the years and bagged hundreds of squirrels and other critters. I've shot a PCP gun before and find them to be deadly accurate since they have no hold sensitivity like a springer, but I like the ability to hunt the woods with my gas ram and leave it cocked & ready without the worry of having to get air refills. I also like the challenge of overcoming the hold sensitivity of the rifle and the reassuring thump of the ram.

Anyone else? 🤔

-T-Bone

RX2.1616593071.jpg

20 years ago I bought a .177 Gamo Hunter at Big 5 for about $200. It came with a cheap 4X scope and was advertised to shoot at 1400 fps. Although I now own many other air rifles and pistols, that Gamo has taken more ground squirrels and tree squirrels than all of my other airguns combined. I gave it to my 87 year old uncle when he had a tree squirrel problem and you should have seen the smile on his face when he shot it for the first time. He was smiling like a kid after taking his first squirrel.

frankly, taking an animals life is serious business and i want a serious tool .. not an outdated toy to go play games with killing things ..

It's the skill and judgement of the hunter that insures a well-placed shot, not the power of the weapon. Kindly give us credit for having enough respect for our quarry to know our limits and only take the shots we can confidently make.

frankly, taking an animals life is serious business and i want a serious tool .. not an outdated toy to go play games with killing things ..

I killed 100's of squirrels with a R-1 20cal carbine back in the day before there were many pcp's and never had a problem. Then bumped up to a RX-1 20cal at a whole 20 foot pounds thought I was doing well, back in 2001........... but I guess not. They all died and were eating by the way. I still have an HW85 which can take a squirrel with no problem. 

When my neighbor Larry was dying of cancer, he had a evening marauder helping himself to his birdfeeders every night at dusk. Larry was very frustrated.

Without my knowledge he bought a cheap 17 caliber Chinese rifle. Nothing you would want to shoot at a raccoon with from 12 feet.

After I heard Larry‘s plan, I volunteered to sit with my Theoben Cro-Magnum 25. One shot behind the ear, end of story after a bit of flopping. The pictures are long gone.

cheers

mike

Substitute pictures:

E09CD343-8ABC-43EE-A770-261D7251C62D.1616635223.jpeg

9FDE50AB-2C39-4462-9D4A-4312B689A7E0.1616634948.jpeg
0CE6BE59-9481-4FBD-90FC-0C2C6D30F115.1616634949.jpeg

Have you handled any new springers or NP? Have you shot one recently? At 20 FPE I can easily take all small game up to raccoons even in .177. I've NEVER had one suffer or escape to date. 

I won't take a shot I'm not certain is a kill zone shot with a projectile incapable of performing it's function.