• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Atlas V8 PSR on Wildcat .25 - review with pics

Good day!

I just today received Atlas V8 PSR (BT46-LW17 PSR) bipod which I bought from vikingtactics.de
Before this I used a Harris bipod.

And the Atlas looks very nice! Knowing that B&T does not make half-way products and that this cost me 372€ should give some guideline of how well made this is.

I mounted it to my Wildcat .25 using AGN member Mark_Walt's Picatinny to airtube mount. I found the mount from THIS THREAD.
-I googled at first for good mount candidates from the image search, but found most of them to be inadequate. I ended here to our forum by the mere chance that he sells it here!
-It mounts well, the QD works wonders with it.
-The plastic mount gives a little away when applying weight towards the bipod. I do not feel it would crack any soon though.
-It slides on the tube when tilting the gun, but this could be sorted by tightening the clamp screw. I probably will be spraying a soft layer of rubber compound to the inner side. (*I already did this with an almost empty can, spreading the stuff with my finger. Just a half tea-spoon was enough and it is now holding much better.*)
-If it ever breaks, I will want one done in aluminium.

The reason I started looking for options to replace the Harris was because it would move under the gun with the spinning feet and I could not take a comfortable shot downwards at 7° angle.
Granted I see that shooting should not be a sport where you'd be all the time in your comfort-zone, but this really sucked as I shoot almost all of my shots at that angle.

With the Atlas, these problems have now begone.
-Once set up onto the ground, the bipod is not going anywhere easily.
-It also allows for much lower position to be taken.
-I have not used it enough to give a full review (more points covered in the chapter below) but as I see myself buying powder burners in the future, I will be using this for all of my guns.
-I know that as a shooter I do not really deserve this. :)

12.7.17 Update:
After owning it a couple days, I have noticed that:
-Spring loaded feet on the Harris have no advantage over the Atlas muscle operated feet.
-The feet on Atlas are smooth to operate and feel tactile. Compared to Harris which has far too strong springs for the simple task. After using Atlas it became obvious that real locking is better than spring loading.

-Atlas is not as bulky as Harris.
-This will help with overall usability and with packing the bipod in the case or backbag.
-The Harris is quite wide and it affects how easy it is to fit to a gun case.

-Atlas has maybe 2cm wider position (the distance between the feet) than Harris. I imagine this helps with balance to keep the gun steadier.

-Atlas also has pivot function so if you have targets within wide area or a moving targets, you do not have to move the feet.

Pictures:
-Yes it is mounted backwards, I was not feeling like I had much patience at that moment..
-Yes the mount for Harris bipod is still attached. Taking it off soon, after measuring the height difference. The results are out in the post of mine below.

I AM SORRY FOR THE FLOWERS, I edited off as much as I could.

6bfe38069413b3adfd7090a67edb46d8.jpg

2ffc6933c8a9f3bbde1b32ad844130b9.jpg

14d9f6eec395642ca1f3ef9ca787521b.jpg

For all those interested in how much Atlas helps with lower position, here are the numbers.

From the ground to the bottom of airtube:

Atlas:
-Basic stand: 18,5cm - 7.2"
-Feet at 45° angle forward: 14cm - 5.5"
-and with the gun slightly tilted forward: 15cm - 5.9"

-Feet at 45° angle backward: 14cm - 5.5"
-and with the gun slightly tilted forward: 12-13cm - 4.7-5.11" (!!)

Harris:
Basic stand: 17cm - 6.7"
and with slight tilt forward: 18cm - 7.1"