• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Atlas 5h bipod

Love mine for competition Benchrest and filming videos. I don’t use it in the field for anything.

FYI - keep an eye out for a new model coming out from accu-tac with pan, tilt, and extendable legs! I don’t have a release date but have had a close look at the first production model. It’s got my interest, for sure! 

Thanks for the plug, deke!

I have the atlas 5h. Tom's video covers the same likes and 'no so much's' I have with it. If it lived on the gun it would be my go to since most of my shooting is benched in one form or another. My problem is the height, would be the same issue with the accutac. vs my bench height and size. To get comfortable I have to use the 45degree leg setting, but then I'm pushing the edges of my bench. This wouldn't be an issue with a wider bench but mine are basically counter top width. I've been thinking of selling it but I've also been thinking about changing my bench.

That said, it's very stable and if you can leave the cant locked in once it's installed, and not have to take it on/off too often, i'd say it's almost worth the price jump from the standard...

Would I buy one again, prob not. At least until I found one that was less work to put on/off.

I have the 5H too and absolutely love it. The one drawback, which Tomcat mentioned was removing the bipod from my gun. It's a pain. I purchased a 2.5"×.5" quick release riser mount and attach the 5H to it and it to the gun so that removing it from my gun is simple and fast. Takes care of the one flaw with this bipod. I also sometimes attach a 8" picatinny extension on there so the bipod legs are placed farther forward. Not necessary but I do like it set up this way when shooting off the bench. One other mod I did to the bipod... on the front tightening screw, the bipod comes with a piece of bright green cord, kind of useless so I took it off and replaced it with a small nail, that the head was cut off of. I put some electrical tape over it and was done. It makes tightening the front screw easier and you can torque it better. I attached a picture so you can see the nail mod but I didn't have the riser yet. Stoti

1540402183_4924493245bd0ac07a61149.29587009_20181010_184412.jpg

You can overcome the height problem by shortening the legs on the Atlas, any good machinist should be able do it.

Here is mine after "chopping" the mechanism is the same on the 5H, mine is perfect for bench shooting now, both at 45 extended or unextended straight down.
1540419953_20122293505bd0f17123f629.27560120_IMG_0002.jpg

However I still prefer the Accutac after Tom convinced me to buy one, but as above it is no good for a narrow bench.

Accutac does not have a cant adjustment , but the Atlas does. What do you do on Accutac when it is slightly off or your bench is slightly out level.

You can achieve cant correction with an Accu-Tac.

Put the legs at 45 degrees, then use the pan feature to rotate them to one side or the other. This will allow you to correct a limited amount of cant. Should be enough to overcome a bench that's slightly off level.

I'm really glad you were all able to get something out of my video too! 

Tom