Athlon's two new 15-60x56's

Good write-up. My key questions in the search for a great hunter division FT scope are:
- Does it focus to 10 yards?
- How many degrees of focus knob rotation between 40 and 55 yards ranging? How many degrees between 10 and 55 yards ranging?
- How finely can it differentiate yardages between 40 and 55 yards, e.g., can it repeatedly determine 52 vs 55 yards?
- How much does the rangefinding change as scope temperature changes?

I forgot so tomorrow I'll check how much rotation there is between 40 and 55Y.

Reactions: RScott
I should have mentioned that because FT hunter division limits setting scope magnification to 16x, it is best to use 16x when checking 10 yard focus and the ability to distinguish yardages in the 50-55 range. Thanks for all your data collection and reporting.

Looks close to 17 degrees from 40Y to 55Y. Or getting approx .3" from the 40Y mark to the 50Y mark on the Fly wheel.

It also seems the same distances between my marks when using 15x or at least are very close. I haven't started using 15x much yet for ranging because I'm still trying ranging at 60x.

Sure is a nice clear scope though! I like it a lot.

Got the dope down perfectly now as confirmed from 10Y in 1 yard increments to 25Y and in 5Y increments from there to 55y.

Reactions: RScott
😁

20230827_131749.jpg

Reactions: steve123
I looked through the Ares ETR 15-60x56 at the Pyramyd Air Cup last weekend at the Athlon truck stand. There was terrible chromatic aberration (purple fringing) at 40x, along with a brown fringing along the edges. I am wondering if the scope that they had on display was a pre-production version. Are you seeing any of that on the versions you have? I was going to email them and ask about it, as I have a problem with my new Helos holding zero.

Thanks,

Dan

Reactions: qball
After struggling with my Athlon Argos BTR 8-34 gen1 because it can only focus to 15 yards at the lowest zoom, I will not even look at another Athlon.

The glass on mine is "good", not great. But since I mostly (nearly all my shooting) pest in my very small back yard, not being able to focus to 10 yards is a deal killer for me. And YES, I use FULL POWER ZOOM even at 10 yards unless conditions (light, etc) make me zoom out a little. (chuckle)

@qball

I don't think a scope exists that'll range every half a foot from 50-55, at any magnification or for any price.

And if someone is aware of such a beast, please share with us.

Ive personally spent time looking through the gold standard of price/performance in field target (Sightron SIII) and it wouldn't determine 1/2foot increments from 50 to 55. At least not with my eyes. And I own a Falcon X50, another in the $800-1200 range. It's exceptional, but 50, 52.5, and 55 are about the best it can do, again, with my eyes, and that's only at full 50x. Full understanding that there are Marches and Kahles 4-5x more $$$.....but even then, I've looked through a Kahles and it couldn't do the 1/2foot increments from 50-55.

And I think Steve was talking ranging capabilities at 15x here.

Last edited:
I looked through the Ares ETR 15-60x56 at the Pyramyd Air Cup last weekend at the Athlon truck stand. There was terrible chromatic aberration (purple fringing) at 40x, along with a brown fringing along the edges. I am wondering if the scope that they had on display was a pre-production version. Are you seeing any of that on the versions you have? I was going to email them and ask about it, as I have a problem with my new Helos holding zero.

Thanks,

Dan
I haven't seen a hint of CA in my ETR 15-60.
Just yesterday I was showing a friend this scope and got to shooting out to 100y. Literally all our targets are painted white which should reveal CA.

I'm incredably pleased with the IQ in my sample of one and I'm not exaggerating.

Man I hope they wouldn't be silly enough to try to promote this scope using the prototype now that the production model is out???

Last edited:
A scope with 56mm objective lens and 60x magnification AND over 1000 dolalr price tag should range every half a foot at 50-55 yards. Rather disappointing, I was hoping to see a more price friendly FT scope and this doesn’t look like it.
I'll go edit my post above, #49, because I was using 15x at the time.

Yes at 60x it is ranges between 50y and 55y very very well.

That being said I don't have any other scopes of 50x or higher magnification to compare it to.

Reactions: qball
After struggling with my Athlon Argos BTR 8-34 gen1 because it can only focus to 15 yards at the lowest zoom, I will not even look at another Athlon.

The glass on mine is "good", not great. But since I mostly (nearly all my shooting) pest in my very small back yard, not being able to focus to 10 yards is a deal killer for me. And YES, I use FULL POWER ZOOM even at 10 yards unless conditions (light, etc) make me zoom out a little. (chuckle)
The Argos is ok for what it is at its price point but that's as far as it goes, "especially the G1!"
Athlon's first try.....

This ETR of mine is the opposite!
I wish you guys could experience peering through it! You'd feel like I do. It's that good 👍

This is going to be a weird comparison but it's what I experienced yesterday.

I bought a new Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22×50 FFP scope to put on my Thomas HPX to be used for EFT comps and I did so because the scope is so lightweight for its mag range which for that rifle I need for offhand because it's a heavy rifle and it was getting a bit hard for me to hold up with a 3lb scope mounted.
Its a flagship scope/Razor so how bad can it be, right?!

Backing up a bit, and going in reverse a month, I got it out of the box, fiddled with it, peered through it, and put it right back in the box and after a few days deliberating I decided to sell it. But after a month on two sites it didn't sell so I figured I'd get some use out of it if I'm going too take a loss on it anyway so I mounted it on my HPX.

The short of it.
Turrets on my ETR are about as good as it gets, like 97% of the best turrets I've felt.
Elevation turret on the LHT has lash, is somewhat indistinct, and because of that have to be aligned well to be pushed down in the locked position. Reminds me of a $400 scope. The locking turrets on my Helos G2's are superior.
Also the LHT has 6 mils per revolution which i don't like. Why not 5 or 10 mils per turn??
Windage turret is like one on 150 dollar scope, pitiful.

The ETR glass is very very nice on 22x if not excellent.
Comparing, the LHT glass is disappointing for a $1999 retail scope. It's not even close to the glass in my ETR! Its more like they used the level of glass in a Vortex PST???
On the LHT I only like the daylight bright illume, that the elevation turret is low profile, and the scope is lightweight.

Looking back if I had to do it over again I would have spent the extra money and bought a March 4.5-28 even though it's more expensive and weighs slightly more.

• Wow
Reactions: RScott and qball
I'll go edit my post above, #49, because I was using 15x at the time. Yes at 60x it is ranges between 50y and 55y very very well.

That being said I don't have any other scopes of 50x or higher magnification to compare it to.

Ah good to know. Accurate ranging between 50-55 yes with 16x is definitely demanding and very few scopes out there can do that well.

Reactions: steve123
I just wanted to give a quick follow-up report.

My desire was to shoot in Hunter division this weekend in our local FT match.
However yesterday was the last straw for me because my eyes totally wacked out. I'd mentioned earlier that having type 2 diabetes changes how my eyes focus during the day. This problem necessitated changing the diopter setting a quarter revolution to focus the reticle again so any hope of ranging well at 15x was lost. Also yardages askewed.
No choice but to go back to freestyle for our FT match.

Here's my thoughts on this scope for Hunter.
The reticle hashes at 15x are a bit too fine for a serious Hunter scope. Though it does seem to range well at 15x when my eyes are working correctly.
My opinion remains that the glass IQ is excellent.

For Freestyle/Unlimited this scope was awesome 👌. I experimented from 15x to 60x. 60x a tad dim but focused, 50x on a bright day like today the IQ was good, 40x very good, 30x to 15x is super good. I seemed to gravitate to 30x a lot.
I ended the match with a 46/48 for 2nd place from the high score in WFTF of 48/48.

The one nice surprise I hadn't used much was the illume which is a daylight bright center dot that helped me hit all the targets in the shade. Once I tried it I kept it on for the rest of the match.

IMHO this scope would excel in BR more than Hunter FT and would do well in Open or WFTF FT.

If I don't like a scope for various reasons I usually try to sell it. This one I plan on keeping.

Last edited:

The reticle hashes at 15x are a bit too fine for a serious Hunter scope. Though it does seem to range well at 15x when my eyes are working correctly.
My opinion remains that the glass IQ is excellent.

For Freestyle/Unlimited this scope was awesome 👌. I experimented from 15x to 60x. 60x a tad dim but focused, 50x on a bright day like today the IQ was good, 40x very good, 30x to 15x is super good. I seemed to gravitate to 30x a lot.
….
Isn’t this an SFP scope? Hash marks too fine? Reticle should look the same at 15x as it does at 30x, 60x.