• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Athlon Talos Review + Updates

You say clicks and stopping...I have a little 3x9 Redfield made in USA scope I forgot I even mounted to my .243 (as I have never shot it yet). I guess at the time I didnt think to check how the turrents felt on it since they are capped. I took the cap off the top and turned the dial...mush, mush, mush. LOL doesnt even make a clicking sound. I dont even remember where I bought it. It is crystal clear though with smooth zoom and Center X crosshairs and only 12oz! Without having another Redfield like it I cant compair or bother to send it in for warranty because for all I know that model is like that.

So back to the Talos you say you get better groups because of it? Is it due that the target pops better in the new glass? Or holds the zero now with an iron grip? The targets you print dont look very high contrast so I guess since glass is better that now you can judge the shot in more confidence.

Partly its the contrast , mainly its the sharper image because of the better glass . And yes once you stop dialing it doesn't move at all !!! The Bushnell I had on it before didn't loose zero once it settled in ,but it might take 2 shots ,might take 10 shots before it finally decided to stop moving around .
It was frustrating and made it hard to concentrate. When you KNOW that if the pellet didn't hit where you intended its nice to be able to rule out the scope :)
I'm gonna play with my printer later today to see if I can make the targets better contrast . I honestly hadn't thought of it before .

I looked some more through all my scopes, Talos 6-24x, Midas 2-15, Genesis 5-20. Midas bests them all on quality, finish, feel, funtion. However knowing that the Talos is under 200 bucks, the quality is not bad at all. Fit of the turrent caps isnt stellar and I had to work to get the power dial for the illumination to even rotate under shear force. It is tolerable now and should only get looser. The lowest setting of '1' on my Talos is the brightest of all 3 the mentioned scopes so really for me I just twist it on and off. Also 11 is the brightest on the Talos.

The Talos has a warm tint. Earlier I said yellow this isnt true. Warm is a better description. Details are not as sharp as the Midas and the field of view on the same power of 10x is less than the Midas just a bit. I did see the Genesis over 14x shows its optical limits turning to CA fuzz and hazzy details. Before that it isnt bad, just like my SIII on 24x hits a brick wall at 35x.

I looked high and low for a scope in this price range of similar power with a reticle with hash marks as the Talos that is illuminated and also has fully multi coated glass. This sucker is the first one to consider, that I have seen, with all these features and a company that will support the product. My Wildcat is off for trigger work and since I am trying to sell my Wolverine I dont want to knick it up so no other tests for now.
Have a great and safe weekend!

I just bought the Talos 3-12 for my next purchase ( Wildcat.22). The only scope I had to compare it to is my Bushnell Legend Ultra 3-9. For sure it is not quite as sharp as the Bushnell, nor is it as bright. But crisp enough for the money & it is a little shorter than the Bushnell. I also have the Midas 4.5-27 & it definitely is not the same glass, the Midas glass is up there with the best I have owned or looked through. However I think the compact size will look good & work real well on the little Wildcat.