• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Athlon Talos Review + Updates

JoeWayneRhea

Apr 5, 2015
Ok guys I promised a review if good , bad , or ugly so here it is . First let me say I've owned scopes from old Weaver steel bodies to 30mm Euro scopes and most everything in between . .. So not my first rodeo ... First packaging, top notch and nice box and includes a couple coupons on future purchases from optics planet . . The usual literature and literature that lets face it , we all throw in the box and never glance at again. The finish is a nice satin and turrets click positive and seem to hold well ... .. Cross hair nice , maybe for longer ranges a tiny bit chubby but nothing like cheapo scopes .. ...Wait what's that ?? Will it pass the box test to see if all tracks properly. ??? I'll be damned if I know .....
After mounting carefully on a known one hole rifle ( my FWB 300) it was shooting 3 inch groups at 35 yards .. No problem I thought . I just regreased entire rifle and spring so it's just settling in ......NOPE ....
I went to focus eyepiece more carefully and it's flopping around like bolt in a oversized nut . locked gun down and with almost no pressure POI on target was moving all over the place ... Disappointed is not the word I feel . So I emailed Athlon asking for a replacement or refund. Would have loved to tell you guys I found a diamond for a Pet Rock price ...... But it appears to be just another scope in a rather nice box . I'll update when I hear from Athlon ......SO AS PROMISED HERES THE UPDATE ...Emailed me right away to make sure I k ew they were in top of the problem ...Then Kevin from Athlon personally called me to assure me that new scope was going out today ,AND they are creating a shipping label so I'm not out any $ to return .......... Ok guys gotta say !!! Thats about as good as any customer service I've ever heard of ! Impressed for sure with their follow ups

Thanks for the review and sorry to hear your experience. Let's hope this one is a lemon and not the standard for the Talos. But then again it should have never left the factory and the dealer (who I think is also the maker of the scope) and should have been checked before going over to OpticsPlanet. I have an Athlon Argos on order with OpticsPlanet since March and anxiously waiting to see how your issue is resolved....is it a lemon....or a bad scope from the start?

Yeah I honestly am not one of those " Never buy Chinese " guys at all . But quality can be a hard thing articulate at times , but you kinda know it when you see it type deals ....I will keep an open mind .. . I'm sure that their higher end stuff is no doubt nicer .
Never dealt with Optics Planet before , hopefully a refund is not a big deal to them ...I wish I had the extra throw away money I did when I wouldn't mind an 80 hour work week to make some extra toy money .. I'd do what I used to and order me something from Leupold custom shop :)

Sorry to hear it's coming apart Joe. I have an Argos on order I'm hoping to see before I'm to feeble to mount and try it. I'll be putting it on a PCP though. Putting it on the FWB 300 was defiantly the acid test. I spent yesterday shooting my FWB 124 and that gun is just plain violent. I would assume your 300 is the same way. I have had at least 2 scopes that it has literally disassembled. Right now I'm shooting a Vortex on it that has about 1500 rounds through it. The gun has been deadly accurate, but this year my groups have opened up a bit. I've been thinking it was my hold and I just haven't been shooting it enough. Now I'm wondering if the scope is starting to loosen up. 

Well quick update ....Athlon reached out to me first thing this am and is sending me a NEW scope out today ...And I will return mine when new one is received . Guess that's all anyone could ask for ..Bummer the scope didn't work right . But I work in Quality Control at my job and realize any thing can happen . I have to give two thumbs up so far to customers service for sure !!!!

" HEY JOE" Pulled the trigger on that Nikon 5-20 by 44 scope. just a few minutes ago. was going to get it from Nikon themselves but the funny thing is they don't do pay pal. even though it is posted on their site. GO FIGURE. would have had to pay tax and shipping there also. so i perused optics planet. and scored that Nikon tax free and free shipping. SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not trying to highjack your thread here either. The windage on that Varmit scope gave up it's ghost last night wonder if hawk will fix it or replace it????????????????????

So just got my Talos BTR 4-14 in the mail yesterday from amazon and mounted it just right now and the reticle is tilted. If the scope elevation knob is at 12 o'clock then the top of reticle is at 1 o'clock. Was gonna return it to amazon but decided to call Athlon instead. They gonna email me a shipping label and hopefully I'll have a replacement by next weekend. So besides the tilt the rest of the scope is nice but is a little "cubby", lens is clear and the reticle is pretty cool.

New scope is a Winner !!! Very good glass and great focus from edge to edge. Plenty of recticle available movement and it passed the box test not oncebut twice ... Eyepiece and side focus both turn smooth but are not sloppy . Focus to my eye is right for distances marked on focus knob. It also does something else that I don't think guys talk enough about for springers , when you move the cross hair if moves and then stops !!! It doesn't have to "settle in" Owners of Bushnell and Burris scopes will know what I'm talking about . Overall i d say the scope is a REALLY good value . To rank it with the scopes I have on hand I'd rank it right along with my Nikon EFR 3-9 and better than any of my 3 Bushnell AR scopes . It is better than my Aeons , I've owned a couple . Is it as good as my SWFA SS or my 2 Leupold scopes ... No , but to be fair it's not targeted at that price range . Now for the real TEST , would I buy if again after owning one ? Absolutely I would and it WILL be what I buy for my next Airgun . Nice product , Incredible customer service , and dollar for dollar a LOT of scope . Athlon made a believer outta my one eyed ass.