• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Athlon Talos or Neos to replace a Bugbuster

I have two Bugbuster 3-9x scopes that were mounted on some guns I don't shoot very much and they work fine for what I paid for them, just barely over $100 delivered. I put one on my new Jet 2 for some testing but the mounting area is so small on the scope I can't get it far enough away from my eye to see the full image through the eyepiece. I had to mount it with both rings forward of the loading port because it won't bridge the gap across the loading port to the rear rail section.

I am looking at an Athlon Talos 4-16x or a Neos 4-12x to mount on the Jet 2. Both of them have enough mounting area to work. How do they compare to the Bugbuster as far as clarity? Both of my Bugbusters are definitely on the bottom of the clarity scale for all the scopes I own, but they work OK and hold a zero. If it would fit on the Jet I would probably keep it there. There are some times at 30+ yards that I wish I had more than 9x, so the higher magnification will be nice to have. The extra weight and size of the Athlons isn't a concern.

Last edited:
I have two Bugbuster 3-9x scopes that were mounted on some guns I don't shoot very much and they work fine for what I paid for them, just barely over $100 delivered. I put one on my new Jet 2 for some testing but the mounting area is so small on the scope I can't get it far enough away from my eye to see the full image through the eyepiece. I had to mount it with both rings forward of the loading port because it won't bridge the gap across the loading port to the rear rail section.

I am looking at an Athlon Talos 4-16x or a Neos 4-12x to mount on the Jet 2. Both of them have enough mounting area to work. How do they compare to the Bugbuster as far as clarity? Both of my Bugbusters are definitely on the bottom of the clarity scale for all the scopes I own, but they work OK and hold a zero. If it would fit on the Jet I would probably keep it there. There are some times at 30+ yards that I wish I had more than 9x, so the higher magnification will be nice to have. The extra weight and size of the Athlons isn't a concern.
Unless the Bug buster I have is a real poor example I would says that the Talos is 2-3x better in clarity. The Talos is about the same clarity as my Hawke Vantage scopes.

-Marty

PS. Keep in mind that as you zoom more the picture will get darker.

Reactions: Geezerhood
The talos has mil dot the neos dont.
The latest neos now has a side focus model as well .

If you want mil dot for hold use then talos if duplex is fine matbe neos for budget friendly..

I use the talos 3x12 mildot
IMG_20210625_173301500.jpg

Only gripe i can think of is its weight.

Then built like a tank aint light cheap plastic ...lol

Reactions: SHOMER
The talos has mil dot the neos dont.
The latest neos now has a side focus model as well .

If you want mil dot for hold use then talos if duplex is fine matbe neos for budget friendly..

I use the talos 3x12 mildot

Only gripe i can think of is its weight.

Then built like a tank aint light cheap plastic ...lol

Thanks for the feedback. I am rethinking the added weight of a bigger scope on the Jet 2. The Talos 3-12 might be the best choice of the Talos and Neos models for the Jet 2 at only 2.3 ounces heavier than the Bugbuster 3-9x.

I think its pretty heavy on a rifle so somthing like that notos or jets maybe a bit much .. it does make my r9 feel top heavy vs. other scopes .. then your still in that pistol type use eye relief osdue id think

Did you look or think about maybe a more pistol scope or a compact scope?

Also if you like that buster and maybe a set of offset rings or riser rail can help set back / foreard the scope more for better eye relief.

I am using the Jet as a carbine with 45 degree AR-15 style pop up sights for close shots and want a rifle type scope with at least 12x. I can get good pricing on the Athlon where I work which is why I am leaning towards that brand, plus they have a good reputation.

That looks like a good source for all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the link. It is not showing images on several pages.

I am using the Jet as a carbine with 45 degree AR-15 style pop up sights for close shots and want a rifle type scope with at least 12x. I can get good pricing on the Athlon where I work which is why I am leaning towards that brand, plus they have a good reputation.

That looks like a good source for all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the link. It is not showing images on several pages.
Hmmmm.. all serms to come up for me.. heck ya never know..

https://hammersbinoculars.stores.yahoo.net/piandrescand.html

If your set on the athlon then all you can do is go for it.... It will ether work out well or ot dont.. ... Thats with anything.

i cant knock the quality and they honor that warranty ( bought a display model cheap that needed help and no questions asked they took care of it works great)

This is too big for your application but my Athlon Talos 6-24 is one of the nicest scopes I own - but I haven't spent much more than $200 on any of my scopes. I am not a bug buster fan. The one I had would not hold zero and they did not honor the warranty. So anything is better than that. I replaced that bug buster with a Hawke Vantage 2-7. It is a nice scope and it is small and light. An Athlon Talos would be more clear but I don't know if any are as light and they would cost more. I have never used an Athlon Neos.

how is the talos side focus? hard to turn or no? it doesnt look like they have a wheel as an accesory.
Ya, wheel or sunshade they tell me its comming soon that eas like a year+ ago.

Anyway look up alternative stuff around