Athlon Talos 10x42 vs Arken LH4 4-16x44

I'm changing some things around with what I have now scope wise. I have 2 scopes right now, an Athlon Helos 2-12x42 on my Taipan and a Helos 4-20x50 on my Tikka T1X. SwampFox red dot on the Evol Mini. What I'm going to do is I think put the 2-12 back on the Evol, the 4-20 might go on the Taipan but I'm not sure yet. Regardless I want one more scope but don't feel like spending a bunch. I can get in to either of these with scope, rings, caps and bubble level around $280. I don't need to wait for the Athlon though.

I've been a big Athlon fan for years they are great scopes. Also a big fixed power scope fan. This one being side focus over rear focus of SWFA is a big plus. And has a zero stop. And just stupid simple, no magnification change or illumination. Just turrets and side focus.

Arken I've had a few and have enjoyed them but nothing to me has beat there original 4-14x44 SH4 they had. I really kick myself for selling that one. I've owned the SH4 Gen2 4-16x50 and EPL4 4-16X44. Again nice scopes but didn't beat my Athlons to make the cut. I like this one as I don't really dial ever and price wise is really nice. But I do wonder if it'll be the same where I like it but just not.quite as much as my Athlons.

Anyways I'd like others opinions on these 2 scopes if you have one or the other chime in. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Athlon but keeping an open mind.

I have a couple of older Leupold fixed scopes, they are great and the thing for me is they have AO and are very light.I always buy used so the prices are in my price range. Sorry for not answering your question,but to me weight is always a factor in my decisions..oh they are not side-focus . My Arken scopes are always on the heavy side.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I've never owned or looked through a Athlon Helos but I own a Athlon Talos 6-24 and an Arken EPL-4 6-24. I think the Arken has better glass and I think it responds better to adjustment. I got my Talos for $200 on sale and I paid $330 for the Arken. So I would expect the Arken to be a bit better. I like both scopes, however. I also think the Helos is a higher priced, presumably nicer Athlon line than my Talos.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I have a couple of older Leupold fixed scopes, they are great and the thing for me is they have AO and are very light.I always buy used so the prices are in my price range. Sorry for not answering your question,but to me weight is always a factor in my decisions..oh they are not side-focus . My Arken scopes are always on the heavy side.
Weight wise both are in the 21-24oz range I believe so nothing there really difference. My Arken have been heavier also but likely will use it on my Tikka and that's a beast as is. Will actually be a lighter scope compared to what I have had on it.

I've never owned or looked through a Athlon Helos but I own a Athlon Talos 6-24 and an Arken EPL-4 6-24. I think the Arken has better glass and I think it responds better to adjustment. I got my Talos for $200 on sale and I paid $330 for the Arken. So I would expect the Arken to be a bit better. I like both scopes, however. I also think the Helos is a higher priced, presumably nicer Athlon line than my Talos.
Yeah the Talos line is definitely more budget especially compared to the EPL4 line. The LH4 line is Arkens real budget scope also. My Helos are great for the money. Talos is a step down but being fixed scope it's usually better glass when compared.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Back when I critiqued the Heras pre production line they had sent me the Talos 10x to try out. It was right there with the Heras scopes in IQ and build quality which surprised me, specifically to the Heras 2-12 that I did side by sides against. I don't know if there were any changes to the Talos but I liked it a lot. 10x fixed isn't my thing but if it was I'd have one.

I'm trying to remember better but I had a 10x SWFA almost two decades ago. It was a Tasco made mildot with moa turrets and glass not very good so I sold it soon afterwards. Going off memory I like the Talos 10x more but am curious how the comparison would be if against the newer SWFA 10x??

Back when I critiqued the Heras pre production line they had sent me the Talos 10x to try out. It was right there with the Heras scopes in IQ and build quality which surprised me, specifically to the Heras 2-12 that I did side by sides against. I don't know if there were any changes to the Talos but I liked it a lot. 10x fixed isn't my thing but if it was I'd have one.

I'm trying to remember better but I had a 10x SWFA almost two decades ago. It was a Tasco made mildot with moa turrets and glass not very good so I sold it soon afterwards. Going off memory I like the Talos 10x more but am curious how the comparison would be if against the newer SWFA 10x??
That's good to hear about the quality on them. Athlon is a great price for the quality you get. I liked the SWFA back when I got into airguns 7-8yrs ago as for the price they were hard to beat at $300. Now I gotta say I'm impressed prices over the years have never risen even with inflation and all that. But there are alot of great scopes in that price range nowadays and while good I do like others in that range. The Talos I think would be a great improvement not sure glass wise I'm sure very comparable but features for sure.

Anyways I decided for myself. I used 10x42 SWFAs for a couple years on guns and loved them. Have since switched to various variable scopes and while I do keep my scopes usually on 10x if I have a pest close I need to eliminate I feel so tunnel visioned. I played with my scopes this weekend on 10x and in different scenarios realized I did use low power alot on anything under 25yds. So I decided to try out the Arken. For $260 delivered with scope, scope caps and bubble level. Got some rings from bass pro with a gift card as I never know what to get from there. $50 doesn't go a long ways there lol

@Dairyboy I could never seem to fall in love with the Athlon Helos 2-12x42. Mine just sits. It feels heavy to be so short. I wasn’t super impressed with this scope, albeit I didn’t leave it mounted long. Vector Veyron are good enough for me aside from not having a true illuminated reticle. I haven’t tried the 4-20x Helps. The 10x fixed SWFA has had a home on a Bulldog for a couple years and generally doesn’t move. What’d you end up deciding to do?

@Dairyboy I could never seem to fall in love with the Athlon Helos 2-12x42. Mine just sits. It feels heavy to be so short. I wasn’t super impressed with this scope, albeit I didn’t leave it mounted long. Vector Veyron are good enough for me aside from not having a true illuminated reticle. I haven’t tried the 4-20x Helps. The 10x fixed SWFA has had a home on a Bulldog for a couple years and generally doesn’t move. What’d you end up deciding to do?
For now I have the 4-20 on the Taipan Veteran. I'm not sure if it will wear it full time only will see once I get then Arken. But for now I have no idea when I'll get it so it'll be determined when I get it what I'll use permanently on the Taipan. The Mini has the 2-12 on it. And I understand about the weight. It's no light weight despite being so compact. But I really like it and love the reticle. Works so well at lower powers rarely shoot it above 6-8x even at 80yds on birds. But not a scope for everyone. But I did go with the Arken simply as I played around with being stuck at 10x I felt claustrophobic on closer shots lol