Athlon Optics. Finaly we have more scope options. Including close focus and FFP.

Received my Midas 4.5-27 yesterday. I put it on my Wolverine .25, my very first shot was @ 40 yards , was just a lil low. The glass is up there, very crisp & clean. I like the glass better than any of my Leupolds , maybe even my Meopta, which I think is better than Leupold. I don't want to say the glass is as exceptional as that on my March, so I won't . I will have to do more comparing, before I could even make a fair comparison. However want to have a couple friends to look through both w/o knowing which is which, and see what they say. It is hard to be unbiased when one knows. Of course clear optics is not the only thing a scope must do. The SF is spot on for yardage from 30 - 80 where I was shooting. I will definitely use that for a range finder. The only things that I could pick at was while the clicks on the turrets were positive and audible, they seemed slightly weak, or a little too easy to turn. I really like the scope. I will see how it does the next few months and during squirrel season this fall. If it still makes me happy by then , I will purchase more Athlon products.

"fe7565"I read that someone tightened down the turrets on an Athlon and they clicked right after that, but do not know which version it was. I do not know enough about them so I would be careful.

I will check that out. It is not a problem, just a little easier to turn than what I was use to. Thanks

30cal "Nutcracker that’s great news! Thanks for the report. Look forward to your thoughts after you get some time behind it"

Will do, thanks for turning us onto these. It is one fine instrument. The more I am looking through it, the more I like it.

Nutcracker. Thanks for the info. As said before I returned the Midas because the reticle was not what I had ordered.
To me it was no downside that the turrets was easy to turn. I actually liked that very much, and I can confirm all what you have said when it comes to brightness and clarity. Waiting.............

"Gunnertrones"Nutcracker. Thanks for the info. As said before I returned the Midas because the reticle was not what I had ordered.
To me it was no downside that the turrets was easy to turn. I actually liked that very much, and I can confirm all what you have said when it comes to brightness and clarity. Waiting.............

WOW, you must be patient, I have none. I could not have sent it back....Nice instrument for sure.

As far as First Focal Plane scopes go, are they setup to a primary power level to zero it in at? I know all MIL or MOA marks on the reticle are equal throught the power ring so I am guessing it wouldn't matter what power one used over another to zero a FFP scope? A quick Yahoo search just got me to hunting forums that didn't mention such. But SFP the shooter sees a dot on a variable power ring, say the 12x if it's a 6-24x.

I am kind of intrested in the Argos line, as the Cronos out of my checkbook range and it's only 50mm.

"DuncanHynes"As far as First Focal Plane scopes go, are they setup to a primary power level to zero it in at? I know all MIL or MOA marks on the reticle are equal throught the power ring so I am guessing it wouldn't matter what power one used over another to zero a FFP scope? A quick Yahoo search just got me to hunting forums that didn't mention such. But SFP the shooter sees a dot on a variable power ring, say the 12x if it's a 6-24x.

I am kind of intrested in the Argos line, as the Cronos out of my checkbook range and it's only 50mm.
There is not a primary zero magnification for a FFP scope. When you zoom the scope in more on a FFP it appears that the reticle gets bigger which could block your target some if you zoom in to much. Then of course if you don't have enough magnification you wont be able to see what your aiming at. So it is kind of personal preference. On a SFP scope if you are using the reticle to measure where you hit then are adjusting the turrets to get sited in then it matters what magnification you are on to adjust correctly.

KYAirgunner said:

"When you zoom the scope in more on a FFP it appears that the reticle gets bigger which could block your target some if you zoom in to much."

I hear this a lot when people are discussing FFP vs SPF but in reality with FFP the reticle grows and shrinks at the same rate as the target. It's as if the reticle was painted on the target. It cover's the same amount of the target on low mag. as it does at high power.

Another complaint is that the reticle is to small to see the hold over points at low power. This can be true, however if you are at low power you are usually shooting at close range and don't need hold over points anyway as you are at point blank range. And then you can just use the reticle as a cross hair. If it's illuminated then turn up the brightness until you have a nice visible cross hair. Many tactical FFP scopes use an illuminated center dot or chevron surrounded by an illuminated horseshoe with the mil scale under it. At higher mag. you use the mil dots or scale as usual but at low power it turns into a red dot sight. Best of both worlds really. (See this scope for a good example): http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44-ffp-scope-with-patent-pending-r-grid-reticle-eta-nov-2015/p/kt-pa4-14xffp-r-grid/ If you are target shooting then you will be at high power for maximum accuracy and that's when you need the hold over points or dial in.
Bottom line is that a FFP scope needs a properly designed and well though out reticle. That's why I have had such a hard time finding one that meets all my needs for a long range PCP and why I am so excited about the Argos 8-34x56. It covers most of my wants nicely.

Reactions: NMshooter
30cal said:
"I hear this a lot when people are discussing FFP vs SPF but in reality with FFP the reticle grows and shrinks at the same rate as the target. It’s as if the reticle was painted on the target. It cover’s the same amount of the target on low mag. as it does at high power."

Thanks I never thought of it this way but it makes since. Guess I will have to try it out when I get my scope, thanks 30cal.

I had a tough time choosing but I settled on the Talos BTR 4-14x44. It's the best reticle I can find on a FFP with an AO and good glass. Still more than I wanted to spend and it's going to be 2-3 weeks before it gets here, but that's all right as the gun it's going to go on hasn't been built yet. I would have preferred 6-24x50 but that was almost $100 more and the reticle was not as nice IMHO. We will see how it goes, I'm really looking forward to it. 

"Nutcracker"Received my Midas 4.5-27 yesterday. I put it on my Wolverine .25, my very first shot was @ 40 yards , was just a lil low. The glass is up there, very crisp & clean. I like the glass better than any of my Leupolds , maybe even my Meopta, which I think is better than Leupold. I don't want to say the glass is as exceptional as that on my March, so I won't . I will have to do more comparing, before I could even make a fair comparison. However want to have a couple friends to look through both w/o knowing which is which, and see what they say. It is hard to be unbiased when one knows. Of course clear optics is not the only thing a scope must do. The SF is spot on for yardage from 30 - 80 where I was shooting. I will definitely use that for a range finder. The only things that I could pick at was while the clicks on the turrets were positive and audible, they seemed slightly weak, or a little too easy to turn. I really like the scope. I will see how it does the next few months and during squirrel season this fall. If it still makes me happy by then , I will purchase more Athlon products.
Have you compared this scope v/s Hawke Frontier 30 SF? The Athlon Midas has better optics?