Athlon Heras SPR 2-12x42 AAGR1 MIL

Most of a year ago I was privileged to test the pre production line of Heras scopes to see what I thought of them. Of them all this one stood out to me the most.
Why??
It's because it's a SFP low to mid magnification scope with a .2 MIL hash reticle which is a rarity in the scope world and provides a certain amount of interest to me. So I had to have one, LOL!

Here are some of the spec's and a reticle illustration. For more info please go look up this scope over on Athlon's website.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATION​

MAGNIFICATION​

2 - 12x

OBJ. LENS DIAMETER​

42 mm

TUBE DIAMETER​

1 in

EYE RELIEF​

3.6 "

FOV @ 100 YDS​

55.7 - 9.6 ft

PARALLAX ADJUSTMENT​

10 y

CLICK VALUE​

0.1 MIL

LENGTH​

11.8 in

WEIGHT​

23.5 oz

1681680843291.png

I also own two Athlon Helos DMR 2-12x42 FFP scopes in MIL that I've had for 2 years. One is on a long range AR and the other is on a Steyr ProX semi auto pcp bullpup. I like these scopes on these guns but especially like using the ProX with the DMR on it. Where the DMR's excel to me is for fast shooting on steel. The reticle is thicker with a .3 mil center dot so you can pick it up quickly. Great scopes for what I use them for!

I brought up those DMR scopes because for the most part they cover my needs for this kind of 2-12 scope. However it occurred to me when looking at my favorite 1970's vintage 22 mag rimfire, a HK300, that the scope on it, a Nikon 3-9x40, was severely lacking for longer distances - I like to shoot it out to 300 yards sometimes. So I got the Heras ordered with the original intention of using the scope on it. I like that its lighter than the Helos G2 2-12 as well. Edit- Oh and I have the proprietary 1" rings for that gun so I needed a 1" tubed scope for it.

In the mean time, since I received the Heras almost two weeks ago, I decided to try it on my FX Royale 400 in 22 caliber for a while.
The first test was at 10M in my friends garage with the gun set on 12 fpe. We shot offhand on Olympic match paper targets. I found that even though the bulls were black that I could still see the reticle plainly. My concern was that it would be hard to make out the reticle but it was fine.

Today was more interesting though. I put the FX on 30 fpe and sighted in JSB 18 grainers on the wood 2x12 in the photo at 25Y. It was no problem seeing the holes appear in the dark piece of old wood at 12x.
Then I shot offhand on 12x and 10x at 25Y on those 1.5" white painted steels. It wasn't so easy to hit those small steels but I managed to get 5 out of 7 a few times. The reticle stood out enough to allow a decent score. I seriously doubt I could have done any better with any other scope or rifle in my collection?? Because the scope is reasonably lightweight it kept the weight down on the rifle so I didn't fatigue as quickly as I normally would compared to the 5-25x56 scope that I had mounted previously on this FX. I also felt that 10x with this reticle helped me seem more steady vs using more magnification which magnifies any movement.

Next I plinked on the same steel at 38Y off the bench. It was nice using the .2 mil hashes once I saw where my shots went due to the wind blowing. Aiming off .3-.4 mil helped center hits on the steel. It was still easy to see the 22 cal holes in the wood when I missed at 12x.

Then I set the steel at 53Y. For the fun of it I used 2x, 3x 4x, 6x, 8X, 10x, and 12x.
I could well see where on the wood I missed on 12x which was nice. Using the reticle to measure with I corrected which was usually .6 to .8 MIL to center up on the steel.

I was surprised that I could see a pellet hole in the wood at 3x and a cluster of shots on 2x at that distance. That says something about the glass in the Heras line!

The nice thing about SFP in this case was having the reticle full size on lower magnification. Working my way down from 12x to 2x I still found the .2 mil hash marks useful. The MIL values changed with each magnification but once I saw where a miss went I had a reference point to make a judgement call holdoff with. This helped at 2x because when I hit in the dirt I knew by about how far out to aim even though those .2 MIL hashes from one to the other appeared about the size of the steel. In other words the steel was approx .2 mil wide on 2x magnification.

Wrapping my review up...
Glass;
The IQ is great for a scope of this price! It's clear edge to edge, it's bright, has good color rendition, no CA that I could see, lacks any odd optical weirdness(which bothers me most about compact scopes), and is generally pleasing to look through.

Reticle;
Relatively simple.
The .2 mil reticle hashes are useful at all magnifications.
I like that the center dot and the other dots are .07 MIL. Not too big or too small. Also even though the reticle line thickness is .03 mil the amount of hashes makes it appear thicker than it is. If it were any thinner it wouldn't work for me but after using it for hours I found I liked it. The ability to take advantage of the precision of your rifle is there with this reticle.
I will rarely use more than 2 mils of holdover or holdoff with this reticle so I like that Athlon kept the MIL line numbers out of the way of using holds of less than 2 mils. This makes the center area of the reticle cleaner looking.

The controls;
Typical Athlon. All were great in feel and function! The stand out was the turrets, these were exceptional in all ways. Very distinct, audible, lined up perfectly with the line on the housing, etc, absolutely nothing to complain about. Even the size of them are an appropriate size for a scope like this. I am impressed!!!
The locking feel on the windage turret was the same way.
Tracking was on point near as I could tell. I'll find out better when I shoot long range with the 22 magnum.

It's cool that Athlon made the 12x magnification indicator red so you know where the MIL's are correct at.

I don't know if the FOV is more than most other scopes on 2x but it seems HUGE to me on 2x. I've had LPVO's that go down to 1x but I "don't" find myself using 1x so I'll leave it at that. Sure would like to take aim at a running rabbit on 2x!

There's nothing else I can think of to mention but if something comes up I'll get back to this post and do so.

20230416_125106.jpg
20230416_125115.jpg
20230416_125523.jpg
20230416_130136.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the great write-up Steve! I put the MOA version on a Compact Veteran and am enjoying it very much. I agree with your opinion of IQ. Really good value for the money. I'm contemplating buying the 4-20 to use on a prairie dog rifle

You're welcome H. Glad you like it on your Vet.

I have the Heras 4-20x50 as well. I feel the same way about it as the SPR 2-12. The 4-20 was a great upgrade compared to the Talos 4-16 that the 4-20 replaced on my 5mmFBI varmint rifle.

If this scope had illumination and possibly a 30mm tube I would buy it yesterday. As it is, I'm sticking with the Helos 2-12 DMR FFP for now.

But...maybe this would be a fantastic fit for my HW50 Springer...hmmm....

I know what you mean.

Both great scopes and uniquely excel at different tasks.

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
I know what you mean.

Both great scopes and uniquely excel at different tasks.
I still like that illumination. The ability to stalk bunnies and other critters at night is really awesome. On the other hand, why must all of my air rifles be capable of that? Hmmm...definitely this Heras 2-12 SFP is growing on me.

Reactions: steve123
I got to cleaning up my shop so I went to put the Heras 2-12 box away in storage and realized I forgot to mention that this scope comes with flip up caps which seem higher quality than the ones I used to get with my Argos G1 scopes and "ALSO" a sun shade.

Getting excited to try it on another gun I put the Heras on my HK300 22 mag today. That'll be a fun Wednesday shootfest experiment.

If you pretend that the sunshade and the scope caps aren't on the Heras you'll notice it's the same length as the old Nikon 3-9x32.

Also as you can see for my LOP and type of mount if I had tried to use a super compact scope it wouldn't have worked ideally because I've got the rear ring and scope as far back as this mount will allow to get the eye relief correct for me.

20230426_104525.jpg

Short range report;

What a difference this scope made on my HK yesterday - It was Huge! I had to hold off 2.5 to 3 mils at 250Y because it was so windy but no problem making hits on a fox sized animal steel.
Same with making hits going up the hill on smaller steel of various shapes from 50Y to 150Y.

12x compared to the 9x I was restricted to before is revelation when looking through the scope.
This reminds me of my past LPVO scopes, the 1x-?x24mm experiences I had when comparing 6x to 8x to 10x.
Ok I can't really quantify the visual aspect but I prefer at least 12x/ I like how 12x looks, I see better on 12x, and it gets the job done better than lower magnification for the type of shooting I do most of the time.
BUT I have 2x on the bottom end for fast critters while hunting when the occasion arises.

This scope transformed this particular rifle, it was like having a new gun all over again.
Man it is just a perfect fit for it if one wants the versatility like I do! Plus the HK deserved a scope worthy of it.
Vintage rifle married to modern scope.
Funny that it took so long for this scope/rifle combo to dawn on me.
I guess it was because I don't shoot the rifle much, plus it was hard to shoot farther out with the previous scope so I didn't grab the gun out of the safe but instead chose others to shoot. It won't live in the dark recesses of the back of the safe anymore.

I better find more ammo on sale!
20220401_105944.jpg
20220204_133419.jpg