Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 6-24×56 APRS6 FFP IR MIL Review

Chuck: Thanks for the link to the Vortex flip up for the objective lens. Now my problem is finding something that will be a good fit for the diopter end of the scope. That seems to be a bit tricky because, although the diopter shouldn't need to be adjusted once it is set for me, my buddy will be wanting to "take turns" (maybe a couple of mags each before switch off). Sorry for being a pest, but do you have any suggestions for the diopter end of this scope? Thanks man -- every little bit helps.

Hi Scott,

What aspects of the reticle are you not liking?

#1 The APLR2, APLR3, APLR4, APLR5 reticles all have the horizontal MOA marks and numbers running out to 40. I liked that. The newer APLR6 only goes out to 30. That’s my main complaint.

My thinking is that if I have to aim that far out for wind I'd be dialing the solution for it. Normally I wouldn't go shooting in those conditions because it's very unpleasant by that point.

You are making an incorrect assumption that I think I need the greater numbers for wind hold off.

That is not the case.

My thinking is that if I have to aim that far out for wind I'd be dialing the solution for it. Normally I wouldn't go shooting in those conditions because it's very unpleasant by that point.

The same reasoning applied to the moa marks in the reticle on the horizontal. It's easy to see where 5, 10, 15, etc, of moa holdoff is in the reticle but without those marks the reticle appears cleaner. 

But I certainly understand a persons preferences and that we all see this differently! Thanks for the input. If the APRL6 doesn't sell well this year Athlon will likely cancel it. That's the way it goes, aye.

In the APLR6 I like how the 1 moa marks get slightly larger within 5 moa then repeats that pattern which helps at a glance to see whether you are at, say 2 vs 3 moa. It gives a more district visual.

As well as the numbers crossing over from one side to the other side of the tree making odd or even number holds quickly discernable. Many times I've heldover using the wrong line with them being on the same side of the tree which has been extremely annoying to me! 

My bud likes the APLR4 moa the best but I only use mil so my preference is the APRS6.

So we are clear, I'm not talking about wind holdoff.

For target size vs target distance situations, the +/- 40 MOA reticles gives you a 33% broader limit than the +/- 30 MOA reticle.

1) Imagine a smaller target sitting on a vehicle at 300-400yds but you need to estimate the distance precisely in order to make the shot (and you know that the vehicle wheelbase is 130").

2) Imagine a Gamo field target at 10 or 11 yards and you want to verify the distance to hit the 3/8" KZ (and you know that the faceplate is 7.2" wide or you see it sitting on a 7.625" wide cinder block).

3) Imagine paper targets on 36" wide moveable backstops and you want to see if the distances measure exactly of 40, 60, 77, and 100 meters for sight in verification.

The +/- 30 MOA comes up somewhat lacking in those three examples, but the +/- 40 MOA is just right. In my normal use, instances 2) and 3) come up often enough that I would miss the +/- 40 MOA reticle.

I say that the extra 10 MOA per side can be useful and save time while using the range finding reticle, so why eliminate those extra marks?

"...The same reasoning applied to the moa marks in the reticle on the horizontal. It's easy to see where 5, 10, 15, etc, of moa holdoff is in the reticle but without those marks the reticle appears cleaner...."

Cleaner? - I don't care about that. If someone wants a clean reticle, a simple dot, crosshair or duplex reticle is cleanest. I prefer numbers that are easy to read with speed and precision. The extra numbers can facilitate that. I missed a shot today because the scope (not an Athlon) I was using had no numbers and I mixed up the 5 moa holdover stadia with the 7 moa. That would not happen if there were numbers on at least the 10 MOA line. I was OK with the numbers on one side (APLR2). Not so sure yet about some on the left and some on the right as on the APLR6. Time will tell. I think I'd prefer that they were on both sides, rather than alternating sides.

"...But I certainly understand a persons preferences and that we all see this differently! Thanks for the input. If the APRL6 doesn't sell well this year Athlon will likely cancel it. That's the way it goes, aye...."

The gen2 Helos is so much better than the gen1 Helos, that it will probably sell better even in spite of that MOA reticle. The reticle is not bad, but could be better. Because the gen2 APLR2 Argos has the +/- 40 MOA, I'm still thinking of going with that Argos for any new FT guns. If the Helos gen2 had the +/- 40 MOA, I would probably stick with it for everything. Now it's a tougher choice.

"...In the APLR6 I like how the 1 moa marks get slightly larger within 5 moa then repeats that pattern which helps at a glance to see whether you are at, say 2 vs 3 moa. It gives a more district visual...."

I think I like that new feature.

"...As well as the numbers crossing over from one side to the other side of the tree making odd or even number holds quickly discernible. Many times I've heldover using the wrong line with them being on the same side of the tree which has been extremely annoying to me!..."

I'd prefer to have them on both sides.

"...My bud likes the APLR4 moa the best but I only use mil so my preference is the APRS6...."

I like it too. One reason that I like the Midas Tac 6-24x50, but it appears to be slightly thinner (a little too thin in my opinion), especially at 16x with no reticle illumination. The thing I like about it is the 0.2 MOA center dot instead of the 2.0 MOA center cross.

Ideally, I'd like to see the +/- 40 MOA horizontal stadia marks (as is present on the APLR2, APL3, APLR4, and APLR5). And the thicker reticle (as is present on the APLR2, APLR3, APLR6). The center dot (as is present on the APLR4 & APLR5). And maybe the 1 MOA marks that get slightly wider (as is present on the APLR6). Maybe have an APLR8 reticle combining the best of all of them?

APLR8-01.1626055377.jpg

That said, the Athlon APLR? MOA series of reticles is already the best FFP MOA reticles available (in my opinion), but they could be even a little better.

Ah Scotchmo, now I understand and I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I recommend you contact Trent Keller of Athlon Optics here at [email protected] and share all of your thoughts about this reticle with him. He is one of the owners of the company and truly appreciates this kind of real world feedback, and he is able to make your wish about improving this reticle come true if he is convinced that it is worth doing...

Meanwhile you may like the reticle in the Athlon ETR 4.5-30x56 APLR2 FFP-IR-MOA - https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-etr-4-5-30x56-moa/https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Athlon-APLR2-FFP-IR-MOA-Reticle-Manual-Ares-ETR.pdf

APLR2-FFP-IR-MOA-PWR.1626050751.png

Or you may like the reticle in the Athlon ETR 4.5-30x56 APLR5 FFP-IR-MOA - https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-etr-4-5-30x56-aplr5-ffp-ir-moa-copy/https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Athlon-APLR5-FFP-IR-MOA-Reticle-Manual-Ares-ETR.pdf

APLR5-FFP-IR-MOA-PWR.1626050991.png

These Ares ETR scopes retail for $1199.99 and I promise you both of them will totally blow away the heavily promoted Nexus 5-20x50 scope selling at $1500...the difference is absolutely stunning! So rather than wait for the Helos 6-24x56 to be upgraded you may consider just moving up to an Ares ETR!

Meanwhile you may like the reticle in the Athlon ETR 4.5-30x56 APLR2 FFP-IR-MOA - https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-etr-4-5-30x56-moa/https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Athlon-APLR2-FFP-IR-MOA-Reticle-Manual-Ares-ETR.pdf
...So rather than wait for the Helos 6-24x56 to be upgraded you may consider just moving up to an Ares ETR!

I already have an Athlon ETR 4.5-30x56 APLR2 FFP-IR-MOA on my long range slug airgun. I like it. It does not focus down to 10yds, so not really suitable for FT.

For new FT guns, it's between the Argos APLR2, Helos APLR6, and Midas Tac APLR4.

The Midas Tac has nice/better glass (at least compared to my gen1 Helos), but when comparing at 16x, the gen1 Helos has a lot wider focus ranging area when moving between 45 and 55 yards. I would have to compare the Helos gen1/Argos gen2 focus ranging against the gen2 Helos before making any decisions about using the Helos gen2 in FT. Right now my gen2 Helos is going on my 50-100yd benchrest/EFT gun. Range finding via the scope is not so important on that gun.

Aha! I see that I am preaching to the choir here! :) I recently acquired a new Midas TAC 5-25x56 APLR4 FFP MOA scope out of curiosity and am just blown away by this scope! It retails for $849.99 and I swear it is every bit as good as the ETR's except it does not have an illuminated reticle. But for $250 less than an ETR there are a whole lot of guys that can live without the illumination! I have been using it for the last couple weeks to put it to the test before I review it and I am super impressed with it so far.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-tac-5-25x56-aplr4-ffp-moa/

APLR4-FFP-MOA-5x-25x 1.1626054623.png

Aha! I see that I am preaching to the choir here! :) I recently acquired a new Midas TAC 5-25x56 APLR4 FFP MOA scope out of curiosity and am just blown away by this scope! It retails for $849.99 and I swear it is every bit as good as the ETR's except it does not have an illuminated reticle. But for $250 less than an ETR there are a whole lot of guys that can live without the illumination! I have been using it for the last couple weeks to put it to the test before I review it and I am super impressed with it so far.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-tac-5-25x56-aplr4-ffp-moa/

That Midas Tac looks nice (according to the specs). The Midas Tac 6-24x50 is the only one that I have had my hands on to compare. Unlike the 5-25x56, the smaller one focuses down to 10yds. It also has nice glass and just a little more costly than the Helos. The Helos 6-24x56 has a 34mm tube and a 56mm objective. It's the first Athlon with either of those features that also focuses down to 10yds. That makes it a particularly interesting scope for Hunter Division FT shooters (especially if it focus range finds at least as well as the gen1 Helos).

Yes the Midas TAC 6-24x50 with 30mm tube does focus all the way down to 10 yards and it has the APLR4 reticle so there is a lot to like for a mere $669.99! Here is a link for those that might want to check it out: https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-tac-6-24x50-aplr4-ffp-moa-scope/

Scotchmo, I had a Helos Gen2 6-24x56 with 34mm tube and absolutely loved it, but a few weeks ago someone contacted me wanting to know if I knew where he could purchase one because all the retail outlets were sold out. He desperately wanted one for his new Hunter Field Target rifle and couldn't find one anywhere so I went ahead and sold him my scope. I used the funds from that towards this new Midas TAC I have but I believe I am going to sell this Midas TAC and get myself another Helos Gen2 6-24x56! :)

The main reason I like the Helos Gen2 better than the ETR's and this Midas TAC is that the reticle is much bolder and easier to see with my old eyes. The reticles in the ETR's & TAC's are very nice but just way to fine for me...I am an old guy wearing trifocals so I don't like having to squint to see the reticle at its low magnification setting. The guy who bought my Helos Gen2 6-24x56 really loves the scope and he liked the fact the the number "16" is showing on the magnification adjustment ring - I guess that is somehow important in that sport?

I have purchased several of Athlon's new scopes this year in order to check them out. The one I personally prefer over all the others including the Cronus, Ares ETR, and Midas TAC is the Helos Gen2 6-24x56 APLR6 FFP IR MOA. I love the big bold illuminated reticle, and I really love the locking pull-up turret caps and of course the great glass and the 34mm tube - and for a mere $600 it is a real bargain. As for the quality of the glass...I can barely see any difference between the Helos Gen2 and the more expensive ones...definitely not enough difference to matter to me. After using 34mm scopes it is really hard for me to use a 30mm scope anymore...guess I have become a 34mm snob? :)

The same reasoning applied to the moa marks in the reticle on the horizontal. It's easy to see where 5, 10, 15, etc, of moa holdoff is in the reticle but without those marks the reticle appears cleaner. 

But I certainly understand a persons preferences and that we all see this differently! Thanks for the input. If the APRL6 doesn't sell well this year Athlon will likely cancel it. That's the way it goes, aye.

In the APLR6 I like how the 1 moa marks get slightly larger within 5 moa then repeats that pattern which helps at a glance to see whether you are at, say 2 vs 3 moa. It gives a more district visual.

As well as the numbers crossing over from one side to the other side of the tree making odd or even number holds quickly discernable. Many times I've heldover using the wrong line with them being on the same side of the tree which has been extremely annoying to me! 

My bud likes the APLR4 moa the best but I only use mil so my preference is the APRS6.

For target size vs target distance situations, the +/- 40 MOA reticles gives you a 33% broader limit than the +/- 30 MOA reticle.

1) Imagine a smaller target sitting on a vehicle at 300-400yds but you need to estimate the distance precisely in order to make the shot (and you know that the vehicle wheelbase is 130").

2) Imagine a Gamo field target at 10 or 11 yards and you want to verify the distance to hit the 3/8" KZ (and you know that the faceplate is 7.2" wide or you see it sitting on a 7.625" wide cinder block).

3) Imagine paper targets on 36" wide moveable backstops and you want to see if the distances measure exactly of 40, 60, 77, and 100 meters for sight in verification.

The +/- 30 MOA comes up somewhat lacking in those three examples, but the +/- 40 MOA is just right. In my normal use, instances 2) and 3) come up often enough that I would miss the +/- 40 MOA reticle.

I say that the extra 10 MOA per side can be useful and save time while using the range finding reticle, so why eliminate those extra marks?

"...The same reasoning applied to the moa marks in the reticle on the horizontal. It's easy to see where 5, 10, 15, etc, of moa holdoff is in the reticle but without those marks the reticle appears cleaner...."

Cleaner? - I don't care about that. If someone wants a clean reticle, a simple dot, crosshair or duplex reticle is cleanest. I prefer numbers that are easy to read with speed and precision. The extra numbers can facilitate that. I missed a shot today because the scope (not an Athlon) I was using had no numbers and I mixed up the 5 moa holdover stadia with the 7 moa. That would not happen if there were numbers on at least the 10 MOA line. I was OK with the numbers on one side (APLR2). Not so sure yet about some on the left and some on the right as on the APLR6. Time will tell. I think I'd prefer that they were on both sides, rather than alternating sides.

"...But I certainly understand a persons preferences and that we all see this differently! Thanks for the input. If the APRL6 doesn't sell well this year Athlon will likely cancel it. That's the way it goes, aye...."

The gen2 Helos is so much better than the gen1 Helos, that it will probably sell better even in spite of that MOA reticle. The reticle is not bad, but could be better. Because the gen2 APLR2 Argos has the +/- 40 MOA, I'm still thinking of going with that Argos for any new FT guns. If the Helos gen2 had the +/- 40 MOA, I would probably stick with it for everything. Now it's a tougher choice.

"...In the APLR6 I like how the 1 moa marks get slightly larger within 5 moa then repeats that pattern which helps at a glance to see whether you are at, say 2 vs 3 moa. It gives a more district visual...."

I think I like that new feature.

"...As well as the numbers crossing over from one side to the other side of the tree making odd or even number holds quickly discernible. Many times I've heldover using the wrong line with them being on the same side of the tree which has been extremely annoying to me!..."

I'd prefer to have them on both sides.

"...My bud likes the APLR4 moa the best but I only use mil so my preference is the APRS6...."

I like it too. One reason that I like the Midas Tac 6-24x50, but it appears to be slightly thinner (a little too thin in my opinion), especially at 16x with no reticle illumination. The thing I like about it is the 0.2 MOA center dot instead of the 2.0 MOA center cross.

Ideally, I'd like to see the +/- 40 MOA horizontal stadia marks (as is present on the APLR2, APL3, APLR4, and APLR5). And the thicker reticle (as is present on the APLR2, APLR3, APLR6). The center dot (as is present on the APLR4 & APLR5). And maybe the 1 MOA marks that get slightly wider (as is present on the APLR6). Maybe have an APLR8 reticle combining the best of all of them?

APLR8-01.1626055377.jpg

That said, the Athlon APLR? MOA series of reticles is already the best FFP MOA reticles available (in my opinion), but they could be even a little better.

Ah okay Scott, I get where you are coming from now, it makes perfect sense in light of how you want to use these reticles. 

Those are nice additions you added to the Scotchmo reticle! Very good insight for FT and you'd be the expert as far as FT goes!!

Now if we could only get Athlon to design a super nice FT specific scope with your design like a 10-50 or something similar. I've been asking them since the Co came out but they didn't put 10Y focus on their 10-40 even though I insisted, lol?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn, I need to just quit procrastinating and sell my G1 Argos and get that G2 Helos 6-24. 

Thanks for your reviews on ""all""" these Athlon scopes CHUCK!!! 

Oh Steve you are most welcome my friend...I know you love Athlon scopes as much as I do and you have given them a ton of good advice on reticles. One of the ideas I am currently pushing for is the addition to at least one scope in each of their different lines with the reticle in the Second Focal Plane. There are a lot of target shooters and other people that prefer the reticle in the SFP including me...this allows a full view of the reticle even under the lowest magnification. I would also like to see more of their scopes able to focus all the way down to 10 yards.

So for all you Athlon scope lovers that want to share your ideas for improvements and other changes please send your ideas to Trent Keller - [email protected]. He appreciates the input because he realizes us airgunners buy a ton of scopes each year and this is a huge market for his products.

Now if we could only get Athlon to design a super nice FT specific scope with your design like a 10-50 or something similar. I've been asking them since the Co came out but they didn't put 10Y focus on their 10-40 even though I insisted, lol?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn, I need to just quit procrastinating and sell my G1 Argos and get that G2 Helos 6-24. 

After doing a little more comparison, I think I prefer the Gen1 Helos for FT. The angular rotation of the Gen1 focus knob is about 50% greater compared the Gen2 Helos. The Gen2 might be fine or even better at ranging, I don't know. But it would take a much larger sidewheel to see if it could. I prefer a larger spacing on a smaller sidewheel, like on the Gen1.

My next Athlon for FT will likely be the Argos 6-24x50 APLR2 as it seems the closest to the Gen1 Helos APLR2 which is no longer available. I won't know for sure until I get one for testing. Does anybody know the angular rotation of the Gen2 Helos focus knob.

After doing a little more comparison, I think I prefer the Gen1 Helos for FT. The angular rotation of the Gen1 focus knob is about 50% greater compared the Gen2 Helos. The Gen2 might be fine or even better at ranging, I don't know. But it would take a much larger sidewheel to see if it could. I prefer a larger spacing on a smaller sidewheel, like on the Gen1.

My next Athlon for FT will likely be the Argos 6-24x50 APLR2 as it seems the closest to the Gen1 Helos APLR2 which is no longer available. I won't know for sure until I get one for testing. Does anybody know the angular rotation of the Gen2 Helos focus knob.

Scotchmo, not sure if this is what you need, but my Gen 2 Helos 6-24x 56 focus knob is right at 180 degrees from start to stop. From 10 yards to 55 yards it is 111 degrees. I calculated this from my 6 inch round 3d printed sidewheel using my range marks. For ranging precision I believe it is certainly more consistent in the 40-55 yard distances than my previous UTG 4-16x56 scope. My hunch is it ranges similar to your Gen 1 Helos. It has the APRS6 reticle and I like its .2 mil graduations much better than the 1 mil on my UTG.

but my Gen 2 Helos 6-24x 56 focus knob is right at 180 degrees from start to stop. From 10 yards to 55 yards it is 111 degrees. I calculated this from my 6 inch round 3d printed sidewheel using my range marks. For ranging precision I believe it is certainly more consistent in the 40-55 yard distances than my previous UTG 4-16x56 scope. My hunch is it ranges similar to your Gen 1 Helos. ...

"...my Gen 2 Helos 6-24x 56 focus knob is right at 180 degrees from start to stop. From 10 yards to 55 yards it is 111 degrees...."

My Gen 1 Helos 6-24x50 focus knob is almost 300 degrees from start to stop. From 10 yrds to 55 yards, it is 181 degrees. I assume that the Argos Gen 1 and Gen 2 would be about the same as the Helos Gen 1 since they all appear to have similar designs.

My Gen 1 Helos 6-24x50 focus knob is almost 300 degrees from start to stop. From 10 yrds to 55 yards, it is 181 degrees. I assume that the Argos Gen 1 and Gen 2 would be about the same as the Helos Gen 1 since they all appear to have similar designs.

Interesting Scotchmo, I am surprised there is such a large difference. Maybe my new fangled scope is not as good as I had hoped! 🤔. My UTG 4-16x56 that the Helos replaced is pretty close in angle rotation to the Helos, 170 degrees from start to stop, and 112 from 10-55, but always felt I was rolling the dice with it trying to range from 40-55. So far I feel my Helos seems to range pretty well - you once mentioned in a previous thread that you just accept a standard deviation of about 3 yds in the 45-55 yard range on your Athlons and I think my Helos is probably right there too, possibly a tad better. I am still pretty inexperienced in FT so my judgement in scope ranging quality should be considered a little suspect, but my scores are improving some since I started using the Helos. Maybe one of these days I will run into you at a match and we can compare scopes.

This all assumes that the target is facing DIRECTLY to you. If you can confirm that they are, then yes, you would use the sides of the object/target to range. However, it is always better to range the height of an object/target since that tends to be more consistent. 

To explain, I used to run a long range rifle match here locally and conducted a "find it, mill it, kill it" stage in which all shooters were given instructions to find the target, use their mill dot sights (no range finders) to determine the distance, then get two shooters to engage the target. Most missed... why? They milled the sides and always shot high. When the target aspect is at any angle instead of straight on, the width decreases and thus gives the shooter the incorrect range. Both rounds go high. Of the 3 (out of 45) shooters that milled from top and bottom, they scored much better. 

As for this reticle for ranging.. it is the worst. I would never rely on this one at all. There are MUCH better reticles out there. 

...This all assumes that the target is facing DIRECTLY to you. If you can confirm that they are, then yes, you would use the sides of the object/target to range. However, it is always better to range the height of an object/target since that tends to be more consistent. 

As for this reticle for ranging.. it is the worst. I would never rely on this one at all. There are MUCH better reticles out there.

An ideal feature to range from would have the known dimension of the target feature perpendicular to the line of sight. In FT, most targets are +/-5 degrees in the horizontal so known horizontal target features can be a good choice. Vertical features can also be used, but common vertical features on FT targets are less prevalent, and we sometimes encounter vertical angles of up to 25 degrees on elevated targets. Cinder blocks are not always perpendicular, but easily recognized when they are not, and they can be "mathematically straightened" by taking two readings (two different block faces) and doing a little math. Using stadiametric ranging requires that the shooter be aware of those less than ideal instances and act accordingly within any time allotment. Focus range finding is the primary/initial stage of ranging. If the bracket does not corroborate my focus range distance, then I would likely not use it as any form of confirmation.

The OP has the Helos MIL reticle. I prefer their MOA reticle. For my FT use, I find the Athlon APRL? MOA reticles to be the best of any. Your choice might be different. What reticles do you prefer?