Athlon Folks help me pick a scope

I ordered a Midas Tac HD 6-24. I shot a card at 16x yesterday, and I wanted a little more zoom.
I fill fill in on how I like it.
You should like it. I'm an Athlon fan also and the Helos BTR Gen2, Midas Tac and Ares ETR UHD are fantastic lines that I've owned from them. Personally enjoy the Helos 2-12 and 4-20 most just due to illumination compared to Midas Tac line.

I have an argos gen 2 6-24 ffp good scope for the money. I just got 2 heras sfp 6-24 mil and just bought a Helos gen 2 4-20 ffp for a pcp pistol. I was trying to set my wheel yardages today for my tx for a match Saturday and got frustrated on focusing so I quit for now. It focused gods to about 40 yards and I had heck from there. So I quit and the verdict is still out on it

Athlon scopes to me have a tighter eye box than some but most of my experiences with scopes is with prs and hunting.

Thanks
Jon

You should like it. I'm an Athlon fan also and the Helos BTR Gen2, Midas Tac and Ares ETR UHD are fantastic lines that I've owned from them. Personally enjoy the Helos 2-12 and 4-20 most just due to illumination compared to Midas Tac line.
Dairyboy,
As you know, the Ares is illuminated too. I assume you are leaving it out of the comparison and not mentioning that you enjoy it. Correct? Thanks. S7

Dairyboy,
As you know, the Ares is illuminated too. I assume you are leaving it out of the comparison and not mentioning that you enjoy it. Correct? Thanks. S7
I do know that. I had a 3-18x50 and was a fantastic scope. For airguns and my needs personally was just overkill and heavier than I liked. So went to the Helos BTR Gen2 which for airguns and distances used out to say 120yds they work perfect. So I highly recommend just I find the Helos line best for my needs

Reactions: Sanctify7
Steve,
I had to wait quite a while for a (mostly) sunny day in NH to test the illumination for daylight brightness. I would say the reticle is nearly daylight bright on the highest magnification (6) on 3x, depending on what’s in the background. Yes, the reticle is generally easier to see on 3x with the illumination on 6, but again, smaller reticle details would depend on background.
Two things to bear in mind: one, if I point at the sky, the illumination is gone; and two, I still do not have a fully sunny day. I don’t mind at all checking things out again when it’s very sunny. S7

Then not quite like the Cronus illumination is which is easy to see on a sunny day. Though I don't think I've looked into the sky with mine.

I haven't had a ETR in years so thanks for the info.

Last edited:
S7, is your ETR illume daylight bright? Maybe you've done it but is the reticle easier to see on 3x with the illume all the way up?

Just curious is all.
Steve,
Truly sunny days have been a tad rare in NH as of late, but I remembered your question today and it's sunny. I know it is a rather dead issue, but I would now say the Ares ETR's reticle is daylight bright. Take care. S7

Reactions: steve123
I will second the desire to buy Athlon. The Helos versions are the best, in my opinion...best for cost, best for glass, best for features. I need two more scopes and am hoping to find two Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42's MOA to buy. I am looking for a sale on new scopes. Anyone here know of any sales?

IMG_0054.jpeg

I really like the Athlon Talos 6-24 that is currently on my P35-177. I used it last year on my P35-22. The parallax goes down to 10 yards (and actually a bit less) and it is surprisingly clear for the price. I think it is as easy to shoot 30 yard challenge targets with it as it is with a 32X Vector scope currently on my P35-22. It also has a pretty wide range of elevation and windage adjustments despite the 1 inch tube. I got it on sale a couple years ago for about $200 but I think it's $250 or a bit more now - but that is less than other scopes under discussion.

I will second the desire to buy Athlon. The Helos versions are the best, in my opinion...best for cost, best for glass, best for features. I need two more scopes and am hoping to find two Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42's MOA to buy. I am looking for a sale on new scopes. Anyone here know of any sales?

View attachment 379281
Cameraland NY is always running specials and deals, and Athlon is often on sale. They may give you a better price than listed if you call them.

I have also heard that @steve123 might have a deeper understanding of Athlon scopes than most of us...Just saying...
Sometimes and in some ways but that's about as far as it goes.

BTW for those interested in the two new release SFP "very high magnification" target scopes we don't have much longer to wait. Man I hope I get mine before FT season is done at my high altitude location for this year. One or both are somewhat designed around the sport of Field Target and the higher grade one has Ares ETR level glass! There's about as much that I don't know about these than I do so it'll be fun to see how they came out.
I do tend to get excited when Athlon brings out new scopes!

When the time comes I'll get pics up and get a review going.

Don’t listen to all these young guys. The midas tac has a center dot smaller on 24x than the element same for helios and ares
I prefer the argos gen 2. 6-24x50 Look at the reticles on the athlon site and enlarge to the size of a scope and judge for yourself. Any of the athlons are good in my opinion buy to me the ctr dot in the reticle is pretty small

I have had a pile of Athlon scopes from all price points, and they are ok. However to my eye they don’t match what Hawke produces. Have you considered a sidewinder?
I'm a Hawke fan, I have several Vantage and Airmax scopes. Doing research I found people that claim to own both the Midas Tac and the Sidewinder. A high percentage said the Athlon is a superior scope in the class.