Athlon Folks help me pick a scope

Hi Guys,

Here is my thoughts - from a guy who probably throws way too much money at this hobby. Currently have 12+ scopes… Athlon, Arken, Sightron, Hawke, etc..

If I could start from scratch…

For a general purpose scope (pesting & target) at airgun distances out to 75 yards - get a 6x24 Athlon Midas Tac. It is a benchmark scope at its price point (IMO). I believe that you will find you have to spend over $1,000 to noticeably improve on your Midas Tac. Should be able to find a Midas Tac in the $600 range.

For pure target shooting at fixed distance (25, 50, 100 etc) - get a Sightron SII 36x42. Its a benchmark scope that has been used successfully in 50 yard rimfire competitions for years. You can get this scope from Scott at Liberty Optics for less than $500 delivered. The precision that you can achieve with this target scope at 36x at this price point will blow your mind vs. a general purpose scope. For example, the clicks are much finer in adjustment than most general purpose scopes. The center dot and crosshairs are extremely fine - so will not obstruct your view of tiny targets.

Then you have 2 scopes, a general purpose Midas Tac 6x24 and a dedicated target 36x Sightron.

Then you can tell me how much more you had to spend to significantly improve on these two scopes… trust me, I already know how much more you will have to spend, lol.

-Ed

Anyone using a Talos BTR Gen 2 10x42 on a compact hunting set up? Daystate Huntsman, for example? It looks like it would be a good fit...

I got to test this scope at the same time I tested the Heras preproduction line. I found it equal in glass to the Heras scopes so you get a lot of scope for the money! Fixed 10x is not for me but many would like the simplicity this optic offers.

Reactions: Kilmouski