Athlon does it again !!!

Got my Helos BTR Gen-2 2-12X42 scope in and installed it on my Huben 22, It feels super light but really its not all that light at 25.4 oz , But compared to the 34.5 oz 6-24x56 Helos I took off its lighter. I will miss the head shots on the sparrows at 48 yards and a little more, Or watching the Euro doves eyes blink before the pellet hits them,, The 2x12 scope reticle is super fast for me to pull the shot... Oh the glass well its a Athlon Helos scope that tells you for the money its one of the best , (I Think)
I like it so much I may be looking around for a sale and put another 2x12 on my Prophet Compact,
Did I say I love the reticle on that scope,
For the value the Athlon scopes are almost impossible to beat
Mike

Athlon is an awesome brand. Dollar for dollar they destroy the competition in either features, customer service, or both.

I had to use their warranty on a used scope from Amazon that came broken. It was barely a week from the day I shipped it to the day I got a new one in the mail.

Their Argos BTR is hands down the best budget FFP scope out there, mainly due to their turrets. They are insanely crisp for the money and rival optics 2x-3x the price. Even the $150 Talos 3-12 that I picked up recently has blown me away, considering it's only $20-$30 more than a lot of UTG scopes and it's echelons higher in quality.

Athlon is an awesome brand. Dollar for dollar they destroy the competition in either features, customer service, or both.

I had to use their warranty on a used scope from Amazon that came broken. It was barely a week from the day I shipped it to the day I got a new one in the mail.

Their Argos BTR is hands down the best budget FFP scope out there, mainly due to their turrets. They are insanely crisp for the money and rival optics 2x-3x the price. Even the $150 Talos 3-12 that I picked up recently has blown me away, considering it's only $20-$30 more than a lot of UTG scopes and it's echelons higher in quality.

That's funny, I just picked up 3-12 Talos. Your not exaggerating on the turrets. Great tracking as well. Took 4 shots to be on 1" dot after mounting it. And its fairly light at 16 oz. That small nub under the scope did prevent me from using my low mounts but medium ones cleared easily . The side focus is spot on for me in yardage . The glass is good for the price and heavy enough reticle for the woods. Great warranty and a great price. I paid less for mine.

I have a 3x12 utg swat with lit reticle with your choic of color. It's a heavy beast. I'm pretty sure it costs more than the Talos . It's worked well for years but the adjustment is getting sketchy .

Anyway thanks for the recommendation.

Got my Helos BTR Gen-2 2-12X42 scope in and installed it on my Huben 22, It feels super light but really its not all that light at 25.4 oz , But compared to the 34.5 oz 6-24x56 Helos I took off its lighter. I will miss the head shots on the sparrows at 48 yards and a little more, Or watching the Euro doves eyes blink before the pellet hits them,, The 2x12 scope reticle is super fast for me to pull the shot... Oh the glass well its a Athlon Helos scope that tells you for the money its one of the best , (I Think)
I like it so much I may be looking around for a sale and put another 2x12 on my Prophet Compact,
Did I say I love the reticle on that scope,
For the value the Athlon scopes are almost impossible to beat
Mike

Congrats on your new scope. I'm glad you like the reticle as well as the concept of its niche use.

I bought another HG2 DMR 2-12 shortly after I had the first one because I felt the same way you did. I haven't regretted it.

The dot will be pretty much a half inch in size at 50Y but there are some work arounds to see hits better for this larger dot if need be.
If you still want to watch those head shots just dial up .2 mil of whatever your dope demands and use the top of the dot at the bottom of the sparrows head. Or dial down two mils of your dope and then use the 2 mil line intersection, like as if holding over, as the crosshair to aim with.

Often the windage needed is .2-.3 mil for 25Y to 40Y shots in average quartering winds using heavy pellets in 50-75 fpe airguns so I've used the edge of the dot or just off of it when shooting at small steel to get hits.
The dot is kinda handy in this regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2L8
Only complaint i have with my atholn is it's weight.. the heaviest scope i got and can make a gun feel top heavy..

Thats about it outside that Been good clear rock solid as a scope can be. One of the few i feel i got my monies worth. And thats springer use ... Its hard not to recommend one of them. May try there cheaper neos for a kick around scope next .

I only have one Athlon, a Talos 6-24, but I will probably buy another one next, possible the 3-12 Talos for a lighter weight hunting scope. A think I like about my one Athlon is the parallax focusses down to less than 10 yards, better than it's rathing. I have one Vector, the cheapest line, in 8-32 which will not focus down to 10 yards despite it's rating. I don't hate the Vector but the glass is enough better on the Athlon I think it is about as clear at 30 yards despite 8X less magnification. Vector makes a popular 3-12 too but my experience with the higher powered scopes has me planning on getting the Athlon.

I only have one Athlon, a Talos 6-24, but I will probably buy another one next, possible the 3-12 Talos for a lighter weight hunting scope. A think I like about my one Athlon is the parallax focusses down to less than 10 yards, better than it's rathing. I have one Vector, the cheapest line, in 8-32 which will not focus down to 10 yards despite it's rating. I don't hate the Vector but the glass is enough better on the Athlon I think it is about as clear at 30 yards despite 8X less magnification. Vector makes a popular 3-12 too but my experience with the higher powered scopes has me planning on getting the Athlon.
Its not lighter weight unless they changed somthing from the last a bought.. 3x12 is the one im referring to above ..lol. Its a tank. What is it showing at athlon , like 26 oz..
IMG_20210625_173250260.jpg

Its not lighter weight unless they changed somthing from the last a bought.. 3x12 is the one im referring to above ..lol. Its a tank. What is it showing at athlon , like 26 oz..View attachment 340472
The 3-12x40 Athlon Talos shows 16.2 ounces on the Athlon website and 1.01 lbs on Amazon. I just noticed that the Athlon website does not show the mil dot reticle I prefer. Maybe I better get one soon.

Thats better cause we discussed its weight at gta back when and it was the 20+oz ..

Ill go look at the papers i got with it and see if it in that anywhere..

Wish i had a way to weigh it myself to see for sure.

One more thing of issue i ran onto on this scope is the nipple thing in the bottom of the body , the athlon specs/clearance drawings dont account for it and you buy a one piece mount and it hits/ rubs the base .. that was a bummer.. back to amazon..

Nope dont say on its weight.. maybe they figured out to reduce it on todays..? Still would i buy again? Darn right i would.

Lol.. a review at athlon..

My only disappointment is the weight as specs show 16.2 ounces but my digital scale says 19.4 ounces. The 12" length is accurate.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-talos-3-12x40-mildot-sfp/

But hay... Mine dont have that "cheap" feel .. more you got somthing solid built..😉. Ive more then got over that heavy anyway now..

Last edited:
One day ill get my a nice little digital scale , one day.

Using the bulky one piece mounts dont help on that , but of the low and medium hight this medium mount was the only one that gave me clearance on that nipple/ plug thing.. the others it would hit and you could not level the scope.. 2 piece rings dont seem to be a issue so i guesd id call it a tallish medium mount?
athlonnipple.jpg

Last edited:
For those looking at buying the Talos I suggest spending the extra money on the new Heras 2-12 because its a much nicer scope with better glass, reticle, turrets, and well pretty much everything! After all its the latest generation scope whereas the Talos is a 1st gen scope with possibly slight improvements made to it.

I used a Talos for years and it served me well but the Heras is well above it and worth the extra money by a lot. Look at it like this. Your going to spend almost $200 anyway to get the Talos but for $170-ish more you can have a really nice scope in comparison.

For those looking at buying the Talos I suggest spending the extra money on the new Heras 2-12 because its a much nicer scope with better glass, reticle, turrets, and well pretty much everything! After all its the latest generation scope whereas the Talos is a 1st gen scope with possibly slight improvements made to it.

I used a Talos for years and it served me well but the Heras is well above it and worth the extra money by a lot. Look at it like this. Your going to spend almost $200 anyway to get the Talos but for $170-ish more you can have a really nice scope in comparison.

While I agree with the sentiment, let's not forget you can find the Talos SFP models for ~$150-$180. At that point, another $170 is literally double the cost. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but if anyone is reading this and they can only afford a $150 scope, you're not doing yourself a disservice going with a Talos.

While I agree with the sentiment, let's not forget you can find the Talos SFP models for ~$150-$180. At that point, another $170 is literally double the cost. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but if anyone is reading this and they can only afford a $150 scope, you're not doing yourself a disservice going with a Talos.
Yep I agree.
At some point the Heras will be found a bit cheaper too on sale which will even out the cost difference some.

At the same time I feel like a year from the purchase date the extra money spent will be insignificant. I know on occasion when I spent less on some scopes in the past to save money I was sorry I didn't get what I wanted to begin with. Some broke immediately, some had this or that which I found I didn't like after owning them for a while.

I try, and not always successfully BTW, to match the level of the scope to the gun. I had my Talos on a good rifle but the glass wasn't what I normally would be satisfied with. It did the job but....
When I put the Heras on the gun I felt the gun was all new again and it was a more appropriate fit for it. The Heras compliments the rifle now whereas the previous Talos was more of a stop gap.

Reactions: UCChris
Ouch.. when i bought my last one it was 135 or so. I guess thats buy den omics ..

As im glad i buyed it den then now🤤

Id probably be as good with this neos at 104$ no milldot but big woop. I use the centerx type recital on other stuff no issues

Last edited:
I try, and not always successfully BTW, to match the level of the scope to the gun. I had my Talos on a good rifle but the glass wasn't what I normally would be satisfied with. It did the job but....
When I put the Heras on the gun I felt the gun was all new again and it was a more appropriate fit for it. The Heras compliments the rifle now whereas the previous Talos was more of a stop gap.

This is the key here I think. I grabbed the Talos because it's going on a cheap PCP and there was no sense on putting a $400 optic on it. But I would never put it on a $1000 PCP.