Athlon Argos BTR

Mine is way off too. I spent quite a while last week while I had the range all to myself, lasing and setting a target at every 5 yds, out to 100 yds. Would walk back to the bench and dial in the best parallax for that distance and mark it on the scope dial with a small dot of White Out. As an example, for lased yds vs. dial I get 10/12.5, 18/30, 28/50, 50/75, 70/100, 100/180.

When I got home, I made a tape to match and wrapped the dial with it. Also, at a given setting/range, you may dial in to have zero parallax but the image isn't in focus. If you set for best focus, parallax is enough to cause poor shot placement. Guess that's the trade off for an inexpensive scope. Tho, I have no experience with $1000 scopes to know if they're any better in this regard.

I need to do the same with my Athlon Helos to see how far off it is.

"Trailryder42"I looked at the Emerald, but I seem to be opting for FFP scopes these days. Really like the Emeralds reticle tho.
That was my thought when I bought the Argos. But I tend to leave both the Argos and the Aztec set on 18X about 95% of the time so I'm not seeing much advantage with the FFP. I agree I like the reticle in the Emerald.

Future potential buyers beware.

I looked at both the Emerald and Argos also, chose the Argos because of the FFP. This is my first FFP and its too early for me to tell if I prefer FFP. Recommendations to future scope buyers, know what you're likely getting with the Argos, a highly inaccurate parallax reading. Essentially Athlon, in responds to my inquiry, said ignore the numbers and oh by the way other manufacture's scopes don't even include numbers. Wake up call, Athlon, your's does!

"addertooth"The only possible work around would be to adjust the ocular so that when the sidewheel is at 50 meters, the 50 meter target is in its best focus. This way the numbers are more relevant, however, you lose clarity.

You said adjust it so that at 50 meters, the 50 meter target would be "in best focus" but didn't you mean to say "best parallax"? The numbers on the dial may be more relevant, however, you may lose clarity ( target focus). As I'm experiencing now with the Argos, best parallax setting isn't best target clarity (focus).

Any ideas on how to adjust the ocular? I don't see it being as simple as just pulling the parallax knob and reclocking it.
I haven't looked but I'm guessing there's some kind of fastener under the decal of the knob.

I own 3 Athlon Argos scopes and have had no issues. That said I don't use the yardage on the parrallex due to having sniper wheels on all 3. I have owned multiple high dollar scopes like Hawke 10-50 that wouldn't perform like the 369.00 dollar Athlons do. I use multiple magnifications at multiple ranges during my shooting sessions and not having a change in POI throughout the magnifications is just one more variable removed from the equation. IMO if you want to know a range use a range finder, if you want a good piece of FFP glass for under 400 dollars get an Athlon. If you want to get both buy a Burris Eliminator scope. My point is know your rifle and what it can do. Parrellex can be effected by several variables that can change between shooters so to label a knob for everyone's vision capabilities is not as easy as one may think. I'm just glad I can say my 4 mil holdover at 100 yards stays the same if on 6 power or 24. Can't do that with SFP. IMO for the price point Athlon makes a great product.