Athlon Ares ETR APLR6 3-18 question

Has anyone looked thru the Athlon Ares ETR APLR6 3-18 I would like another scope for my Wolverine 177 Cameraland has some sales going on so I figure now may be a good time to try. I have never had a FFP scope that I cared for but I will try one more time. I have a hard time seeing thin reticles so I have looked at the specs of the Athlon reticles and think the APLR6 may have a little easier reticle for me to see on 16x than some of their other FFP scopes. I will post the specs here. 

6AF1565E-5332-4253-B74C-5281AB54B143.1630977383.jpeg

What I do is adjust the diopter/reticle focus a little on the big size. There's a range of adjustment to make the crosshair clear/clean but thinner looking or clear/clean and thicker looking. Dialed out farther is when the reticle gets thicker. The compromise is there might be a tad more parallax error which is a compromise I can live with to see the reticle better on lower to mid magnification.

No perfect scopes out there so we must all pick our compromises. This particular scope has almost nothing which can be complained about! 

I just bought this scope 2 weeks ago. I already had a Midas Tac 6-24x50 with APLR4 reticle and love it, but agree the reticle is a little hard to see at lower powers. I've found illuminated reticles really help me see them better, so decided to try the Ares ETR 3-18x50 with APLR6. At 16x I have no problem seeing the reticle regardless if it's illuminated or not. I'll try and grab some pictures through the scope at 16x at lunch today.

Overall, I really love the scope and would recommend it in a second. Good glass, good adjustments, illuminated reticle, and the ability to focus down to 10 yards checks all the boxes for me.

As promised. Here are photos of the Ares ETR 3-18x50 APLR6 reticle at approximately 16x. There are only marking for 15x and 18x so I set it a little above 15x and erred on the side of below 16x instead of above.

To be honest, the photos I took don't really do either the justice they deserve. The optics on both are much clearer than what is represented. The glass on both does no go out of focus as far from the edge when looking directly through the optics. I suspect that is an artifact of taking the photo with the wide angle lens on my phone. Also, both reticles are much easier to see than is represented by the photos, but I would give the edge to the Ares ETR over the Midas TAC. Hopefully these photos help you make an informed decision.

Comparison of Midas TAC 6-24x50 APLR4 (top) at 16x and Ares ETR 3-18x50 APLR6 (bottom) at ~16x

IMG_6188.1631051679.jpg

IMG_6184.1631051689.jpg

Ares ETR 3-18x50 APLR6 Illuminated on brightness 3 of 6 vs Not illuminated

IMG_6182.1631051815.jpg

IMG_6184.1631051787.jpg

Edited to add which reticle each scope has in the pictures above.

Reactions: oldsparky