Athlon Ares BTR Gen.2 4.5-27x50 question

I live in a rural area with no Athlon dealers close by. There is no opportunity to go look through an Athlon. The reviews I've read about the Ares BTR Gen. 2 have all been very positive. The one thing I have not seen discussed is the close focus. I know the parallax adjustment is 25 yards to infinity. Has anyone here on Airgun Nation ever looked through an Ares BTR Gen. 2 4.5-27? Will the scope provide a clear image at 20 or 15 yards if dialed back to less than maximum magnification? Thanks for sharing.

George

I have one of these scopes. This is the Athlon that I've been the least thrilled with. Mine isn't that sharp past 20X. At no magnification is it as sharp as the BTR 2.5-15x50. I was able to shoot it at 10X at 20 yards, and it was sort of sharp, but far from ideal. If you are going to be shooting at distances closer than 25 yards, you may want to reconsider this option.

I have one of these scopes. This is the Athlon that I've been the least thrilled with. Mine isn't that sharp past 20X. At no magnification is it as sharp as the BTR 2.5-15x50. I was able to shoot it at 10X at 20 yards, and it was sort of sharp, but far from ideal. If you are going to be shooting at distances closer than 25 yards, you may want to reconsider this option.
I have to agree, I have this scope and while it works fine it’s not particularly clear, my Midas BTR is better ( although second plane).

I feel the same way.

Though OP if hunting you won't miss due to a slight parallax error or a fuzzy image that close in.
If target shooting a bunch it gets annoying quickly that close in.
Definitely better choices out there.

I have a Midas Tac 6-24X50 and have been pleased with it's performance so far. It will go a little less than 10 yards on the focus. The reticle is great for holdovers, it's in MOA. No illuminated reticle but I never use that anyway, got it on sale at midway for under $600. Most of the Athlon's I looked at focus down to 10 yards, so I would recommend looking at their line up on the website for a 10 yard model.

I have and use the Athlon 4.5-27x50. I first thought it was a great Optic (as this was my first "Quality Optic" that I had ever owned).

After Purchasing a few different Athlons and Arkens I don't see where the Price Tag of the 4.5-27x50 Ares comes from. It's 3x the price of an Arken SHV4 and really doesn't even keep up with Arken Clarity at higher Magnifications.

Would not recommend the Ares BTR unless you can get one for under $400.