Athalon Heras ?

Oldsparky,
I am not sure there is a 2.5-12 Heras. I think it’s a 2-12.
Also, perhaps you may want to consider the Helos BTR Gen2, also 2-12x42. I say this because it has that eye-friendly red center circle and the Heras does not. It is a few more bucks, but the scope is a bit better from what I hear. If I am missing something, the more knowledgeable on the forum will let both of us know. S7

I am inquiring about the 2-12. I saw they were on sale @ Cameraland but wondered If I would be able to see the reticle. I am thinking about it for a 1720T FT distance
I don’t own one and am only going by the data on Athlon’s page. I am now seeing that the Heras is SFP. I cannot weigh in regarding that distance. My Athlon, the Ares ETR, has a different reticle than both the Heras and the Helos 2-12. I can see pretty well on 3x at 100 yards. S7

Had a Midas Tac & it was excellent, but didn't like FFP. Reticle was borderline too thin at 16x & not illuminated. Sold it & replaced with a Heras, which ticked all the boxes.
It's heavy for class (most Athlons are judging by specs), but in this case it was fine by me (I like some weight on a field target rifle).
Not typically a fan of Chinese scopes, but really impressed by the two Athlons I've had.

I have a Midas-Tac, Helos BTR Gen II and Heras SFP 6-24X. All have excellent glass but the Midas' reticle is the finest of the lot and is not illuminated. The Helos' reticle is completely illuminated and the Heras, in the power range you are looking at, is not. I do prefer SFP scopes because the reticle stays the same size throughout the total magnification range. Now that I own all three, my preference is the Heras.

I have the Helos 4-12 g2 BTR. It’s my first FFP and I really like it.

Yes on 4x the reticle is small, but if I am on 4x I am fixin for a quick shot and I’ll have the IR on. It’s like a big red dot that you can actually see.
Not so small that you couldn’t see the hold over if you needed,

But I run 10x most all the time, so clear. The turrets are outstanding.

It’s the most I have ever spent on a scope and it’s worth every penny.

I will likely buy the Heras next because it’s springer rated.

I own the 2-12 Heras. I’m 55 and I need readers to read. The reticle is on the thinner side and I was worried I would lose it in the trees limbs, as I use it for squirrel hunting. I have been on one hunt with it and had no problem seeing the reticle in the trees. Not sure about early morning or late evening light yet. I am really impressed with it so far, the only thing I would like to see is the middle dot or hash to be illuminated when needed. I will buy another. I bought mine from CameraLand for 369. That’s a good deal they are running now.

Last edited:
I have the scope you're thinking about. I'm in my 60's, wear progressive eyeglasses. I like the 2-12 very much, reticle works well for my eyes! I bought mine off Amazon from a dealer that accepted returns. I've had one not so great experience with Cameraland: I bought a scope that didn't work well for my eyes. They said I could return "no problem," but they never reversed my credit card charge. I ended up having to file a dispute which took several weeks to clear up. I'll pay a few more dollars from an Amazon dealer that issues an immediate refund.

If the reticle was any thinner in the MIL version Heras 2-12 I'd probably sell it.
Though as is I'll keep it.
The. 07 mil dots are about right for this scope since it's SFP.

Want a thick easy to see reticle from 3x and up then the Helos G2 2-12 is the way to go. Plus it has illumination.
I used mine last year to win the PFT Hunter division in AZ so it does range well.

So I got the Athlon 2-12 Heras. I lightly put it in rings with teflon tape as an anti scratch. Today I sat out back and looked at targets. The reticle is too faint for my eyes. It seems when I can't see the reticle well my eyes go into a mode trying to focus on the reticle switching back and forth to the target. I am including this to say the scope will not work for me. Especially looking at a black target, I would have a hard time seeing the aiming points. I don't know if you can take my review as knock on the scope. It's just not for me.

So I got the Athlon 2-12 Heras. I lightly put it in rings with teflon tape as an anti scratch. Today I sat out back and looked at targets. The reticle is too faint for my eyes. It seems when I can't see the reticle well my eyes go into a mode trying to focus on the reticle switching back and forth to the target. I am including this to say the scope will not work for me. Especially looking at a black target, I would have a hard time seeing the aiming points. I don't know if you can take my review as knock on the scope. It's just not for me.
That’s too bad, Old Sparky.

The upside may be that you can sell them and perhaps get a Helos Gen 2 2-12? I always thought you’d like this reticle better. Steve says here that he recommends it to you, and he has both scopes. And again, it’s illuminated, and it has that nice red circle. I thought the Helos would be good for you. I have my eye on one myself. I am now going to do a bit of Father’s Day searching for sales.

Let us know. S7

Reactions: SHOMER
I have the same problem Sparky. This scope was on my “try it and see” list. Not no more. Thanks. Uj

I am interested in the 2.5-12 Heras. Is the reticle easy to see for aging eyes. As an example I don’t think the Midas is easy to see for me. But I am wanting to inquire about the Heras
Athlon Optics 6-24x56 Heras SPR APRS9 FFP, .1MIL, 30mm Tube  Pyramyd Air.jpg