Athalon ares etr uhd 4.5-30x56 has Japanese glass

Athalon ares ETR UHD 4.5-30x56 has Japanese glass ! According to the technician at Athalon, and for 1100.00 bucks makes it the best bang for the buck . I have to purchase one soon. My friend has one and I was very impressed , comparing to my other $650.00-850.00 dollars scopes. The difference is more noticeable in shaded are twilight to almost dark target shooting stays brighter much longer and crisper.

The $599 BUSHNELL TAC 4.5-30x50 from SWFA also has a 25 yd min and is 100% JAPAN MADE BTW... They USED TO BE CALLED ELITE 6500 which sold for as much as $1400 then added Tactical turrets and now slashed to less than HALF PRICE. If you're looking for a 25 yard JAPAN 4.5-30x50 scope on the CHEAP that's cheaper than the $1600 Delta Stryker which is not 2.5x better and does not carry a LIFETIME WARRANTY such as BUSHNELL DOES BTW. Made in the same factory in JAPAN too. Yo!

Hi All,

I have the Ares ETR, its ED Glass of Taiwanese origin, depending on who you ask this is, or is not China. The Cronus is ED Glass of Japanese origin. Have a look at TibosaurusRex on youtube. From an optical point of view, ED or extra-low dispersion refers to how light is bent and refocused to give a clear and colour correct picture, some very good optics come out of Taiwan, while generally, Japan produces some excellent ED glass.

The minimum focus is only an issue if you must shoot at full 30X. the scope is perfectly usable at 10 yards if you dial back the mag to 10X. The scope is not cheap, but it's excellent if you absolutely must have ED optics, my other hobby is astronomy, so I, unfortunately, can't use lesser optics, but I have never been able to afford the Japanese stuff either...

I have a feeling that the Athlon, Delta and Bushnell scopes that are 34mm 4.5-30 ED FFP are probably made in the same factory and badged appropriately, this is just a suspicion as I have no evidence other than holding a Delta and Ares ETR side by side.

I've used my Eres under 25 yards. The knob actually goes a little bit beyond the marking. It might not be perfect under 25 yards, but then that's pretty easy shooting. The best scope cam footage I've seen is Matt's ATACR 7x35, followed by his Eres, which he said was not cooperating with the camera. It was still spectacular. This footage, as well as other Eres footage on YouTube, is the best scope cam footage I've seen on YouTube. If you can't afford ATACR or PMII level glass, then an Eres is a close second.

I have to interject this here!, maybe doesn’t belong here moderator feel free to move, anyway it’s funny how Japanese scopes/glass say from L.O.W or J.O. Or DEON, Were second class when I first started shooting BR. Years ago it was Leupold scopes almost exclusively then some of the better Japanese scopes came along B&L, Nightforce, Sightron, Weaver YES WEAVER!, changed things overnight! I was buying Japanese scopes because I couldn’t afford the Leopold or “March” which I believe are Japanese?) I did own a NF BR 12-42x56 for a short while, guy’s would buy a leupold then send them to premier reticle to have a special or specific cross hair installed, and I couldn’t even think about the German glass!!!, but the “good now” Japanese scope brands have really catered to the Airgunners (please Correct me if I’m wrong about March and or Deon?) 

Regarding the minimum focus distance the specs and the dial say 25 yards, but I have an Ares ETR and it will focus down to 10 yards or maybe even slightly below that at the bottom end of the mag range. If you need more than 4.5 power at 10 yards you must be shooting at pin heads :). Regarding the glass, it is not made in Japan, but the quality is quite good. It's not quite in the same league as my NF ATACR, Leupold Mark 5 or Minox ZP5, and not close to my ZCO, but in normal lighting conditions it's just behind everything but the ZCO. I would actually put the Burris XTR3, which is Japanese glass right there with the ATACR at half the price. I recently sold my XTR3, but only because I bought the ZCO and I wanted something lighter for my hunting rig. Personally, I prefer the Burris XTR3 over the Ares, but not by alot, and it is a bit more money. I've never been behind the Cronus, but I suspect it would be very similar to the XTR3. Another plus for the XTR is that other than the glass which comes from Light Optics, everything else is made in Fort Collins Colorado and it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty as does the Athlon.

Regarding the minimum focus distance the specs and the dial say 25 yards, but I have an Ares ETR and it will focus down to 10 yards or maybe even slightly below that at the bottom end of the mag range. If you need more than 4.5 power at 10 yards you must be shooting at pin heads :). Regarding the glass, it is not made in Japan, but the quality is quite good. It's not quite in the same league as my NF ATACR, Leupold Mark 5 or Minox ZP5, and not close to my ZCO, but in normal lighting conditions it's just behind everything but the ZCO. I would actually put the Burris XTR3, which is Japanese glass right there with the ATACR at half the price. I recently sold my XTR3, but only because I bought the ZCO and I wanted something lighter for my hunting rig. Personally, I prefer the Burris XTR3 over the Ares, but not by alot, and it is a bit more money. I've never been behind the Cronus, but I suspect it would be very similar to the XTR3. Another plus for the XTR is that other than the glass which comes from Light Optics, everything else is made in Fort Collins Colorado and it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty as does the Athlon.

The reason I want my scopes to focus down to 10Y is so if I decide to do so I can put one on my Field Target rifle, and well there are occasions I like to plink closer in with more powerful PCP's. 

I know a shot on a critter is doable on the lowest magnification an ETR or any other 25Y minimum focus scope will go but it's ridiculous to me trying to with the reticle so tiny. 

This is why I bought my S&B 5-25 PM2's many years ago because they focus in at 10M on 25x. Damn, that's so much money to have the features I wanted! 

I sold my ETR and my Cronus BTR because I'm done with reticles that have .5mil hashes mixed with .2's, instead I bought more Ares BTR 4.5-27x50's because of the all .2 mil reticle and I can afford them, sucks though that they have 25Y minimum focus! 

I use the Talos BTR 4-14's which focus down to 10Y and have a good .2 mil reticle but it's more of a cheap scope and 14x doesn't cut it for me most of the time.

Can't have my cake and eat it too - after all these years, lol???!!!

I would love to try a XRT3 and a NF 7-35 but the former is 25Y min, and the latter is out of reach right now.

I have a March FX 5-40 but I kinda hate the reticle.