Ataman M2R .357 has exceeded high expectations

Hey all,

I’m a lifelong small-bore airgunner and have done the big-bore thing for about 18 years. Quackenbush, multiple Korean guns, Texan and American Air Arms Slayer. 

Proud owner of a new Ataman M2R .357 from Pyramid. I went with the Tact “Carbine” because (to me) the bullpup version is grotesque, er I mean not aesthetically pleasing. 

Things I like: It shoots like a pellet gun on steroids, that’s on steroids. 145 FPE with JSB 81gn, and one-ragged-hole accuracy at 50 yards. It screams quality. Built like a tank. Love the magazine that indexes flawlessly, and can be loaded as you’re shooting, without removal. Almost super-model attractive to look at (to me) with its walnut stock and adjustable combe/cheek rest. It gets two full mags (14 shots) at full power - more than adequate for a hunting rifle. The side-lever just feels perfect, and I like the precision sounds that come from it while cycling the action. 

67E94148-78BC-4B6F-84AD-0B17F25F7453.1633301346.jpeg

5370460A-B2F4-4502-9CDF-ACEFB65D3B30.1633301388.jpeg

Things I don’t love: I can’t stand staring down the barrel of a gun to read a pressure gauge! It is LOUD - duh, its a .357, but some effort from the factory to tame the noise would have been welcome. Donny FL Ronin to the rescue - night and day difference! BUT it’s money I’d rather not have to spend. The trigger is super light and precise, but has no stages. Just squeeze until it fires. Not what I’m used to, but I’m adapting fast. It’s heavy - maybe because its built like a tank? The extra weight no doubt helps it shoot so sweet, but it’s not a gun I want to carry all day. I knew this going in, and plan on it being a tree-stand or ground-blind gun. It’s about 11lbs with scope, bipod and (7) 81gn pellets. I’d prefer a magazine that doesn’t limit you to shooting pellets (but they do shoot reeeally good) It shoots slugs well, but they have to be single-loaded. Ataman should make a shot tray to make single loading less fumbly. The good news: I’m working with a custom ammo maker to develop a 90-100gn hollow-point meat-puncher to work with the magazine. Will update later.

Overall, I LOVE this gun!

If anyone reading this is on instagram, there’s more on this rifle at my page - @airgunner.usa and much more to follow.

Thanks for reading! - Brian

Reactions: mercado
Ha, I didn’t know that was you on Instagram.

A lot of people that own these guns love them. They’re almost like Air Arms in that they don’t seem to get as much love in the USA as they do overseas. I’ve always wanted to use one for a day to see what I think. They sure look nice and most owners seems to really like them.

Have a good one.

Stoti

Ha, I didn’t know that was you on Instagram.

A lot of people that own these guns love them. They’re almost like Air Arms in that they don’t seem to get as much love in the USA as they do overseas. I’ve always wanted to use one for a day to see what I think. They sure look nice and most owners seems to really like them.

Have a good one.

Stoti

Yep, that’s me. Brian in MI was my handle on the old YF for many years, so I stuck with it here. Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re ever in my area, the gun is yours to play with as long as you want. My backyard range is at your disposal. This isn’t a tester / review thing, its me spending real money on a product and wanting to share my findings. I really do (really) like the gun, and it takes a lot to get me excited. LMK your insta handle and I’ll send you a Sideshot vid of it decimating rimfire silhouettes in rapid succession at 50 yards. It smacks the steel HARD with high-end PCP precision.

Brian

That's a good review on the Ataman M2R .357. Thanks for sharing. So, the manufacturer is going to make slugs available to the masses? What is the longest slug the magazine will accept? It would seem that most .357 and larger big bore manufacturer's can't get the. breech and magazine area large enough to accept slug ammo. It would be nice to see them all make the magazines accept standard slug length ammo, of at least .750" long.

That's a good review on the Ataman M2R .357. Thanks for sharing. So, the manufacturer is going to make slugs available to the masses? What is the longest slug the magazine will accept? It would seem that most .357 and larger big bore manufacturer's can't get the. breech and magazine area large enough to accept slug ammo. It would be nice to see them all make the magazines accept standard slug length ammo, of at least .750" long.

The magazine depth is .450” (JSB 81gn are .427” ish) The other problem with slugs is that they fall out of the magazine because there’s no skinny “waist” section for the mag o-rings to grab. The ammo maker I’m working with - not Ataman - is going do hollow-points that are .430” long, and have a groove in just the right spot for the mag rings to engage so they stay put. Should come in around 95ish grains, and do a lot of damage on game. Polymags aren’t even close to fitting, unless I want to single-load. If I wanted to do that, I’d have bought another Texan, lol. 

And yes, the new slug will be for the masses, not a private run 👍🏻

Brian

Cool review.

It seems the manufacturer didn't foresee slugs being widely used, which is unfortunate.

Does your state allow deer hunting? I sure wish mine would. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a crossbow.
1f625.svg

I think Ataman nailed it with this gun. Right out of the box, it shoots like it was designed around the most readily available.35 cal ammo in the world. Oh wait, it is! Lol. No micro-adjustable dials and infinite tuning options, just a great setup for the ammo that’s out there. Slugs come in all different diameters (in each caliber), lengths, weight.. Designing a multi-shot repeater around every pellet and slug possibility could be problematic to say the least. 

Yep - Michigan allows deer hunting with pcp air guns, .35 cal and up. Exactly why I bought this rifle. My approach has always been to air gun hunt the same way I do with bow and crossbow: Tree stand or ground blind, taking closeups at 15-40 yards. Haven’t lost a single deer with this approach and it works well in the dense cover I hunt, where shots over 40 yards are rare to begin with. 

Brian