Ataman BP17

I've had one for a coupla years.

Hasn't given me any trouble, shoots well, accurate.

The "canister" (empty !) on the end of the barrel does little to quiet the bark. I did a little of my own experimenting, and got it fairly quiet. The safety is a little iffy, but since I don't use it... It has a single stage trigger. Yes the power is adjustable at the hammer spring. The cocking lever is a little odd, but it works well, smooth, I like it.

Ataman BP17, .22.1650090689.JPG

While like I say, the BP17 is basically an fine gun, the Airmaks Caiman and the slightly longer Caiman X is a better gun, mechanically wise. It feels more substantial at the shoulder. For some reason, for me anyway, it's easier to hold on target while aiming.

I bought the Caiman. Liked it. BUT, I like the "black laminate" stock better, so I bought the Caiman X, since the Caiman doesn't come with the black stock ! Silly...but true ! My only complaint, about both guns, is the small magazines. Both (BP17 and Airmaks) nice, just aluminum discs...nothing to break.

Airmax, Caiman, .22.1650090724.JPG

Mike

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
I second the Caiman or the Caiman X, mainly the X, since that’s the one I have. I have freind that had the Ataman but after he shot my X he sold it. His Ataman was fairly loud, by the time he got it as quite as my X it was the same length. I have my X shooting 46fpe now & it’s louder now but I’ve added baffle & the Airmaks moderator to it. I also get around 40 shots on a fill. 

Sweet looking BP17, is that a dip?

No, it's a vinyl wrap that I did a few months back. Just messing around, something different. It's a "marble" (like a counter top) pattern.

I messed around with the stock baffles, adding and subtracting. Then tried the Huma, M30, then the M40 (2 segment) off of another gun...the M40 stayed on my Caiman ! More quiet than an additional three Caiman segments ! Just had to buy the adapters. So now both my Caiman and Caiman X have the Huma M40, 2 segment suppressors on them.

And yeah, not selling my BP17 !

Mike

lisamike -
How far are you shooting your BP17 ?

I changed the wrap (from the photo above). I also altered the stock a little. I filled in the finger groove on the left side, because I'm right handed. I also filled in the cocking arm cutout on the right side, because again...not needed. Good ol automotive "Bondo".
I like this wrap MUCH better.

1674004824398.jpeg

Mike

There’s a refurbished one at Pyramid Air, I think, and every-time i comes across it, I feel a little more GAS (gear /gun Acquisition Syndrome) for the thing than my rational mind could explain. I’m glad to hear that although the platform isn't perfect, folks are still having fun shooting ‘em
Other than the tiny magazine, nice "little" gun. No problems at all with it, in the almost two years that I've owned it.

Go for it, for that price, you can't go wrong !
I just looked...someone beat you to it.

Mike

lisamike -
How far are you shooting your BP17 ?

I changed the wrap (from the photo above). I also altered the stock a little. I filled in the finger groove on the left side, because I'm right handed. I also filled in the cocking arm cutout on the right side, because again...not needed. Good ol automotive "Bondo".
I like this wrap MUCH better.

View attachment 324226

I have it sighted in for my feeders that I pest from which is around 45 yds, and I’m shooting the jsb 15.9’s and pretty much hit hole in hole, it was to loud for me and I put an adapter on it and threw a Ronin on it lol it looks bulky as hell with it but it is mouse fart quiet now

05611FE8-0C88-455C-B08F-77737A14E6B0.jpeg

FE4855E8-5E09-4E84-9C97-AEAAA4D628E8.jpeg

CD04BB35-CCD6-400E-A7DD-C7634B44B769.jpeg

There’s a refurbished one at Pyramid Air, I think, and every-time i comes across it, I feel a little more GAS (gear /gun Acquisition Syndrome) for the thing than my rational mind could explain. I’m glad to hear that although the platform isn't perfect, folks are still having fun shooting ‘em
Not no more I’m the one who bought it lol

Reactions: FALSECRACK89