Ataman AP16 Compact - wow!

I'll see if I can get some distance shooting this weekend, but nothing over 15 yards so far. I'll be perfectly honest and say that the HW44 is a more accurate pistol, but I enjoy shooting the AP16 more. It fits my hand better.

So I have one complaint which is the AP16 barrel seems to get leaded up every 2-300 pellets and needs a few pull throughs. The near hole on hole group spreads out all of a sudden.

I have the compact and with 15.9gr pellets tuned to 600 fps I can shoot 3 full mags. I believe you may get about the same in the standard as it is tuned more to shoot the 18gr pellets. 

My HW44 was a .177 and I could get 2 solid 10rnd mags on it before needing to refill. But the HW44 only filled to 200bar down to 120bar - so it was definitely more efficient with air.

In terms of repeatable accuracy I knew the HW44 would hit exactly where it was aimed every time. Easily hole in hole out to 30 yards rested on a bag. I think it's the HW44's trigger that really makes the difference. Amazing precise light 2-stage match trigger. The trigger on the AP16 is just a little more vague - nice trigger just not great. 

When I put the AP16 into the P2C conversion kit it is very accurate - but that's not a fair comparison against the HW44. I'm talking about shooting both in there pistol form. 

The one reason I sold my HW44 was the grip. It just didn't fit my hand. Even though it had a bulge in the palm area it was overall to slim for my hand causing my fingers to wrap too far. I would have to pull my trigger finger back out a bit for a good position on the trigger, but it wasn't the most comfortable. The wood ambi target grip for the AP16 fits my so much better. 

I have the compact with an extra standard barrel. 4X M8 scope and they shoot the same accuracy. Trigger on mine is EXCELLENT. Had to send it back twice because the magazine paw didn't fully rotate the mag into the detent every time. Kinda pissed me off because I sent pictures and full explanation what was going on and they only replaced the mag..still same problem.Fixed it myself by silver soldering a little build up on the paw and filling it to work correctly. It has not jammed up since :)

50 yards on a rest:

1591532869_1984987735edcdd45892b14.40144307.jpg

50 feet, offhand:

1591532925_3176221615edcdd7d16b3f6.96918010.jpg

...I just received a "tan" compact model and have a question aboot the safety...

...it safety on mine is very loose and easy to push in flush with the receiver which is too far as it re engages the safety...

...in figgering this out I pulled the safety button/bolt free...it is not a captive part on my pistol...

...the fit is not very snug...I could see this part getting lost......is this normal...???...

...thank you for your replies...I can see just removing the bolt and eliminating the safety, as the function of the safety IMHO suks , but not if it is holding stuff together...

...I am a bit discouraged at some of the attention to detail here at this price point but I am not returning it if the function is correct...

...the trigger is light but it suks too...I didn't bother aboot the cosmetic blemishes (damage) in the finish...

...and the desert tan is more like faux gold...yuk...I wish I got a titanium one...

...if nothing else that would hide blemishes and scratches better...

...that said it seems I may have bought the last AP16 currently available in the USA, so if it works, I am going to just shut up and shoot it...

Hapo - a few thoughts for you:

- Have you tried to adjust the trigger? The details are available (PM and i can help). It also helps to remove the side cover so you can see what your adjustments are doing. You can't do much with it in terms of stages but you can adjust weight, travel, etc. 

- It's Russian design, I believe their premise is aesthetics come second to function. So complaints about a finish blemish will fall on deaf ears. 

- As far as your magazine issue, did you get the adjustment tool and guide for the magazine? I had a similar issue with one magazine and simply turning in the center about 1/8 turn fixed it. You said all they did was send you a new magazine - so I'd take a look at the adjustments if you haven't already. 

- As far as color goes that sounds kinda yuck, but if it's all that's available (and even Krale seems pretty out of stock across the board too) it's just a color. 

- If you plan on ditching the safety (not recommended) you might as well adjust the sear to go off with a minimal pull. 

From what little detail I can find 1911 grips appear to fit. Maybe buy a really inexpensive set to make sure they do fit before dropping $$$ on a Crimson Trace grip.

...I cannot see why they wouldn't...

...that is an excellent Idea, by the way...if this new pistol pans out I am looking into that next...

...I do not know why it did not occur to me until I saw your post...LoL...

...the Russians applied the finish well enough and then beat upon the gun with tools...LoL...

...the trigger is light enough but creepy as Joe B...I think it needs to get stoned...

...Time is Truth...I will just shoot it for a while...