Ataman AP16 Compact - wow!

Hapo -

As I'm sure you know testing moderators is very subjective. It's not only about the db rating but also how the moderator shapes the frequencies. Even at the same db one which removes the higher frequency pop and leaves a low frequency thwump will sound quieter than one with more higher frequency output. I believe this has to do with the directionality of sound - the same concept as to why you can place a subwoofer anywhere in the room. Higher frequency sound are very directional and the human ears can easily detect and locate where the sound is coming from. Low frequency sounds are more omni directional and harder to locate the source location.

I'll run a db meter on the moderators and give you some numbers. Right off the bat I'll tell you the Huggett Atom is going to be the smallest choice but will still have some pop to it. 

As far as that whole choking a barrel with a homemade press - I'll leave something like that to the pros.

I've been using this simple dovetail to pic adapter with my Holosun 407, https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Picatinny-Weaver-Adaptor/dp/B007BNHFLQ, and it holds well with no shifting.

...actually I did not grok much of that before this explanation...thank you...

...at this point I have pretty much decided to buy the Tanto, but noticed that the advise to buy one size over the bore size of your pistol has been removed from the web site...

...so now I don't know if I should get the .22 or .25 size...I am waiting on a response from DonnyFL...I asked what had changed...

...I assume I would want a 1/2 x 20 Bolt end cap...

You'll need the adapter from Donny for the 1/2x20. You can get whichever design endcap you want as long as it's 1/2x20 threads.

As far as caliber selection here is what I have learned. You can go up one caliber to prevent any clipping, but it will be a little louder as sound can leak around the pellet. I've generally gone same caliber and I'd say I've had two clipping situations across many different setups - and resolving the issue has been just swapping moderators between two guns. 

I have a Tanto and had accuracy issues. .22 cal mod on a .22 cal. The issue isn't from clipping, its from the design of the moderator with the flat back end cap installed. The first "baffle" is very closely spaced from the muzzle and the air that it strips off has nowhere to go. This caused issues for me. I can say this was the issue, because after boring out the first baffle the issue was totally gone. 

None of my other mods have this issue, and none are made this way. A lot of guys love the DonnyFL stuff but mine isn't great. The thread tolerances are very loose and sloppy on the barrel and the fit of the parts isn't great. Obviously I'm the minority since other people love them, but I have to wonder if that's just due to easy availability? Either way, that's my two cents worth.

1593448401_20821717395efa17d15da967.43345588.jpg

1593448457_32302595efa18098224c7.31378875.jpg

The fix:

1593448982_4166060125efa1a16bc7bf3.62242575.jpg

Interesting - I've never had a complaint with the machining or tolerances on Donny's work. They seem to fit no better and no worse than the handful of Huggetts I have.

I did have one setup which experienced something similar to your "air trap". Mind you this has nothing to do with the brand of moderator. It was when I was adding a Donny adapter to my Ataman BP17. There is no shroud at all and the stock moderator is nothing more than a can with one plastic baffle in the middle. When I got the adapter I tried it two ways. First was unscrew the end of the stock moderator can, add the adapter and then the moderator. This setup worked just fine. For the second setup I unscrewed the entire stock med can but left the barrel attachment part on, screwed the adapter on the barrel mount piece, and then the moderator. This was pretty loud even with a decent size moderator. I determined that the stock barrel mount and the Donny adapter were creating a pocket about 1" long with an internal diameter just under an inch which would leave the expanding air nowhere to go. 

Moderators are really a bit of trial and error. You never know which one will quiet which gun best or impact precision and repeatability of the shot, and sometimes you are surprised. 

The Tanto is surprisingly effective for its size, especially for airguns under 700 or so fps. The Tatsu is an oddball for me. It works really well in some applications and just meh in others - I can't predict it. 

@ctshooter

...I am understanding it has something to do with stuff like flow dynamics and harmonics...

...I feel like a bushman standing in a field watching jumbo jets cross the heavens...

@thumper

...do you think the cone shaped end cap would help that issue any...???...

...you guys have me rethinking my order...LoL...

...I am not finding Donny all that accessable...I left a message this morning and the site has not even acknowledged it yet...

@ctshooter 

I fully agree with your post. I wasn't bashing Donny's product, you are right it can happen with any brand. However it would be nice if things like the "air trap" situation were considered in the design process. I'd imagine most guys are putting them on shrouded guns anyway so it would be a non-issue there most likely. None of my other mods have a setup like that, but that's not saying much as I have no idea who made them! LOL BUT, none of them are disassemble-able either so that needs considered. But again, most people seem to either not mind or not have any issues. It's all good and it worked out fine. 

@Hapo

Well I have no idea. I haven't seen one in person. But if it makes a little more airspace between the muzzle and first baffle, it might. 

...in touch with Donny now...he seems to be a night owl...LoL...

...I will probably just do what he thinks is best here...

...methinks he may have set up an Ataman AP16 before...

...I went with a #S43 because he recommended a .25 and I didn't want the tapered end cap of the #S45 to make the gun/moderator any longer than it had to be...

...and it looks better...(grin)

...if this turns out to be a mistake I will try the tapered end cap before we bore out any baffles...

EDIT 10:20 am 6/30/20

...it looks like he gets up early too...he shipped my order already...shipped in less than 12 hours...I placed the order @ 11:58 pm last night...

@ctshooter

...one thing I should have asked you before I placed my order is what type of endcaps are you using on the Donnies...???...

...I just assumed that you are mounting these mods on your new AP16 compact …

@ctshooter

...FWIW the Uncle Mike's holster arrived as well as the compact Barska optic...

...with the optic mounted I can fit the AP16 in there with 7.5" to spare...

...this means I could stuff a Koi mod in there never mind the Tanto...

...it also means I could still use the Tanto in this rig when I install a standard barrel...

...I would really like it if you could elaborate on the sound levels between these two...

...Donny has me a bit concerned with my choice as he recommends the Sumo for this gun...

...that can is too fat for me but I thought the Sumo and the Koi might be comparable...???...

...I was afraid the Tanto @ 5" OAL would be a tight fit but I forgot how TC Contenders are configured, at least in regard to OAL...they basically have no action...

...this means I will likely send the Tanto back for a Koi...but maybe not...a lot of youse seem to think the Tanto is quiet enuff...

...the Tanto is already bigger than I want...a standard AP16 would fit into this rig with a Tanto...I plan to acquire a standard barrel...can you see where I'm goin' with this...???...

...I figger I'd be going against Donny's advise at my own peril...

...when I solicited his humble opinion he said " I'd get the Koi. The AP16 is a loud gun."...but wft does he know...(grin)

...he also said on an old thread that he can't really pick a mod for anyone because he really has no Idea of their expectations, situation, or some requirement...

...fuk if that don't put it on the user n' poop...LoLoL...!!!...methinks ctshooter picked mine for me... .!.😃.!.

AP16s are obnoxiously loud. That's what you get when you try and get rifle power out of a 8 inch barrel. If you want it very quiet, you better not dick around and go ahead and get something on the bigger end of things. 

Mine was quiet enough for backyard duty with a Tanto, but not SILENT like some folks demand. Again this is where the "expectations" part comes in. 

I can say that if you turn it down to about 9fpe it's a lot quieter and much more efficient and easier to shoot. It will be extremely quiet with a Tanto this way. But I already know that's off the table. 

@thumper

...that would be fine for some of the shooting I do but some of the critters on the list are a bit tough for a pellet gun...

...I would not want to detune the AP16 very much...

"DonnyFL Tanto .22 – pretty darn quiet – probably the best combo of size, weight and quietness."

-ctshooter

"Mine was quiet enough for backyard duty with a Tanto, but not SILENT like some folks demand. Again this is where the "expectations" part comes in."

-thumper 

...these biased opinions are just what I was looking for here, and indicate that the Tanto my well meet my expectations, (that it will work), suit my situation, (not alarm the neighbors), and fit my requirements, (fit into my holster in both configurations)...

...it is likely I would have bought the standard model if I'd had the choice...

...I was still perseverating when I realized that the tan compact I was looking at was one of the last two AP16's left for sale in the country, and one of them just sold, so now there was one...

...I made an unauthorized credit card purchase...LoL...!!!...

...I am not sure that is what I need...it would be desirable but but I would want it for free...

...as others have pointed out and I have experienced with other guns it seems to quickly get to the point where sound of the mechanics and the pellet strike are the loudest sounds involved...even when there is still some pop to the gun...

...once it reaches that point any further reductions seem redundant...I just don't want people coming outside to see wtf is going on...