Ataman AP16 Compact - wow!

...then it would not fit in shoulder holster hidden under vest...

...have Air Force .25 cal Talon pistol/carbine for that job...is like magnum compared to puny Ataman AP16...

...I found the smallest decent red dot optic I could find and use Uncle Mike's #3 Scoped holster for compact model...

...methinks you would need the #4 size for the standard model...

...there is a "bandolier" option I am exploring...the "size 13" for the TC Contender/ Encore looks like a better fit...

...the mount goes both ways...(Weaver /dovetail)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XSB5C2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71sZW%2BmsZHL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1398195899

463568.jpg

Yay - adapter has arrived. As this is a non-shrouded gun it's putting quite a bit of work on the moderator. I've tried out a few and will list in order of quietness:

• Huggett Atom .177/.22 - Loudest of all, still has quite a crack to it.
  • DonnyFL Tatsu .22 - quieter but still has a good pop sound.
  • DonnyFL Tanto .22 - pretty darn quiet - probably the best combo of size, weight and quietness.
  • DonnyFL Koi .22 - quietest of the group, sound is just a small "thwoop" noise, makes the gun a little front heavy but still manageable.

I like that the adapter threads into the outer barrel and not the inner barrel so there is no worry about barrel sag and different POIs with different moderators.

...I missed this...the search engine here is pretty decent...

...I am seriously considering the Tanto...I was afraid it would not be quite enough, but it is already bigger than I want...

...I am hoping to fit an Ataman AP16 Compact with a small Barska 20mm red dot sight and a small enough moderator into a bandolier holster designed for a scoped Thomson Center Contender with a 14" barrel...I fear the Tanto might be 1" too long...I am sure the Koi would not fit...

...I was considering the Tatsu due to it's shorter length but thought it would be too fat...I was surprised to see the Tanto is quieter...

..."pretty darn quite" is not a very precise term but in the context of direct personal experience with the very items I am trying to compare is valued information...

...I saw there is an app for smart phones for a Db meter...is there any way you could quantify the difference between the Tanto and Koi...???...

...also I noted you used the .22 cal units...it is recommended that one use one size up...I was planning to purchase a .25 cal Tanto for my AP16...

...did you have any issues with pellets striking the baffles..???...they guy that rated his 3 stars did...

...one ironic thing I read in his review was that he basically made his into a .25 and they should have mentioned this on their web site, which they do...that is how I found out...

Hapo - a T1 style red dot will work, of course, but it's designed for tactical AR type mounting and the dot will not be as easy to acquire at a pistol length hold as a pistol red dot. Not saying it won't work, it will, but might be less enjoyable to use.

...I know what you mean but I can't find a good red dot pistol sight with a dove tail mount, nor an adaptor I like and can aquire...the sight needs to be rugged and smooth...

...also the Barska scope features a 2 moa dot...(if it is not a lemon with a smear/star)...I am into it @ $28...I got a "deal"...and I need that small dot...

...I saw some adaptors on another AP16 thread that looked promising...but now I can't find the thread...LoL...I would like to put a Sig Romero reflex sight on it...

...FWIW I used a Beeman P1 for many years to kill hundreds of rats with a Millet 20mm optic on it...

...I am pretty used to it and it amuses me to see other people struggle with it sometimes...

...you do realize that you have picked a moderator for me, eh...???... (grin)

I bought the Ataman modular carbine chasis stock for mine. I would highly recommend it 

...I want to revisit this because I do not want to blow Why off...

...the reason I am not interested in what is an interesting devise is because I need/want as small and portable a package as I can acquire that will still have the accuracy and power I need to hunt small game and pests...

...Ideally it will fit under a vest and I could walk down the street w/o attracting attention...

...around here the Ataman chassis would get me shot by the cops as quickly as my AirForce Talon would...LoL...

...I did notice it and found it intriguing but I am not currently interested in it...I appreciate the benefits it offers over a pistol...

...I can think of many situations where it would be more useful than the powerful single shot Talon...

1593400138_1580832545ef95b4a969551.79423249.jpg
1593400139_14669775365ef95b4ba9b903.15596623.jpg

I'm not much of a pistol guy, but I'm loving this Compact. I stumbled into it for a good deal last year or so. 

It's always been accurate, but always seemed very pellet picky. Yesterday I pulled the barrel and found out why: it had no choke! 

So I added a slight choke and results were excellent. Now it will group most pellets very well. Most importantly it will now put 18gr JSBs in under 3/8" at 15 yards, where before they would be over an 1.5". Success! 

I also turned the power down early on. 14fpe is just silly for a gun with a barrel this length. I keep it at 6-8fpe and it shoots better, is much quieter and a whole lot better shot count. 

Couple days ago I found some scrap and turned out a tiny little moderator for it. Really does a pretty good job at this power level for as small as it is. Weighs virtually nothing. I need to crank the power just to see if it makes much difference there. 

Anyway, these are cool pistols and I'm glad I ended up with one. Glad to see other folks liking theirs too. 

1593400138_1580832545ef95b4a969551.79423249.jpg
1593400139_14669775365ef95b4ba9b903.15596623.jpg

I'm not much of a pistol guy, but I'm loving this Compact. I stumbled into it for a good deal last year or so. 

It's always been accurate, but always seemed very pellet picky. Yesterday I pulled the barrel and found out why: it had no choke! 

So I added a slight choke and results were excellent. Now it will group most pellets very well. Most importantly it will now put 18gr JSBs in under 3/8" at 15 yards, where before they would be over an 1.5". Success! 

I also turned the power down early on. 14fpe is just silly for a gun with a barrel this length. I keep it at 6-8fpe and it shoots better, is much quieter and a whole lot better shot count. 

Couple days ago I found some scrap and turned out a tiny little moderator for it. Really does a pretty good job at this power level for as small as it is. Weighs virtually nothing. I need to crank the power just to see if it makes much difference there. 

Anyway, these are cool pistols and I'm glad I ended up with one. Glad to see other folks liking theirs too.

Nice early Bronco shooting rest you have there @thumper! I have a couple of them as well, in what appears to be the same condition from what little I can see of it.

@thumper

...how does one add a choke...?!?...I apparently do not understand what that term means here...

...the optic on the Broncho Buster is very much like the Millet scope I used on a P1...the P1 eventually kilt it...now it has a $29 Optima 30mm scope on it...that scope's red dot is small enough...

...but now it does not fit in the holster I have for it, so I had to buy a new gun...(grin)

...I believe that I gravitate towards "rifle" scopes because they tend to have small dots...

...red squirrels and rats are primary targets...grey squirrels and rabbits are the largest game I would consider...maybe a woodchuck under the right conditions...

...the .20 cal Beeman P1 w / red dot was/is effective to aboot 20 yards...I am thinking I could push that to 35 yards or so with the AP16...

...methinks the pistol will be up to it anyway...we will not be detuning it any...Hapo like silly power...that was a big selling point...the only real issue with the P1 was/is power...

...I plan to use the JPS Diablo Jumbo Heavy ammo more or less exclusively...I would be discouraged by groups over 1.5' @ 15 yards though...

...I've seen that woo hoo dude shooting better than that @ darn near 600 fps...

@Hapo most airgun barrels that are meant for pellets have a choke at the muzzle. The bore is a touch smaller (tighter) in the last 1/2-3/4" or so. Makes the gun a lot less pellet picky usually. gun would do very tight groups without a choke but only with maybe two kinds of pellets and not the ones I wanted to shoot. But after adding a choke, it will shoot most any pellet acceptably and the ones it preferred before shoot even better. I've done several barrels this way and all of them have done well. 

As for how to do it, well I've heard tell of all sorts of ways. Myself, I use a die I make in a lathe that fits over the barrel snugly. I put it in a press and squeeze it slightly till I get the choke I want. I check it by pushing a pellet through the barrel and feeling the resistance. 

I've been looking for a different optic setup on mine. I want something smaller and lighter. The open sights work well enough, but they won't adjust the POI high enough with the power turned down a little. A reflex type sight may be ideal, but I can't find one that will mount low without a Weaver adapter. This centerpoint red dot is okay, it has a tiny dot which works well. It just loses a lot of light transmission through the tube. 

Before I modified mine, the JSB Match wadcutters shot exceptional in mine. But if you plan to stretch the range out, they may drop faster than you like due to the wadcutters shape. Yours should be very accurate, just have to find the right pellet. 

...thank you for the thoughtful reply...I guess choke is exactly what I thought it was...I could just not imagine "adding some choke"...

...I guess rigging some die to squeeze down the barrel is no big thing to some dude who can whip up a suppressor out of some "scraps"...

...I will need to purchase mine...LoL...

...I saw an interesting adaptor some where that did not raise the sights very much...I can't find it again...

Nice rig! 

Too bad so many of you have to compromise OA length with muzzle devices, just to be able to shoot your guns.

Living on my own 40 acres has me spoiled to hearing exactly what I'm getting, and enjoying shorter, less cumbersome rigs. Like these-

1586584430_18353201845e915b6e2655c4.34957776.jpg

1586584558_14306696295e915bee4bc5f9.51469678.JPG

1586584593_5462168705e915c11dd1036.32575057.JPG

1586584625_1391444665e915c313e42b5.18015594.JPG

1586584690_8951904055e915c72ed3aa7.08755317.jpg

1586584753_14640371295e915cb1ad1247.95703803.JPG

1586584844_9815133835e915d0cd49ec7.21638169.JPG

1586584976_519394275e915d90d127f6.17410990.jpg

1586585049_5035593215e915dd986c202.30886639.JPG

1586585124_5256777585e915e245fbe54.97071111.JPG

Yeah... I sure feel bad for you guys. But if it makes you feel any better, it took me a lifetime to realize my dream. A long lifetime. Consequently, I don't take it for granted.

You can read more about it, assuming you have a strong constitution-

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-custom-classic-and-otherwise-awesome-air-pistols-book/

I'm similar, I live on 36 acres and never use a moderator. There's no one here to disturb. Nice collection of pistols!!

Hapo -

As I'm sure you know testing moderators is very subjective. It's not only about the db rating but also how the moderator shapes the frequencies. Even at the same db one which removes the higher frequency pop and leaves a low frequency thwump will sound quieter than one with more higher frequency output. I believe this has to do with the directionality of sound - the same concept as to why you can place a subwoofer anywhere in the room. Higher frequency sound are very directional and the human ears can easily detect and locate where the sound is coming from. Low frequency sounds are more omni directional and harder to locate the source location.

I'll run a db meter on the moderators and give you some numbers. Right off the bat I'll tell you the Huggett Atom is going to be the smallest choice but will still have some pop to it. 

As far as that whole choking a barrel with a homemade press - I'll leave something like that to the pros.

I've been using this simple dovetail to pic adapter with my Holosun 407, https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Picatinny-Weaver-Adaptor/dp/B007BNHFLQ, and it holds well with no shifting.