Ataman AP16 Compact - wow!

I was enjoying shooting my Ataman last fall, after modding it a little, adding a red dot sight, rubber grip, Picatinny rails, and a moderator.
Those changes really inspired me to get it out and shoot it often again, after a pretty long hiatus.They are such solid pistols, imo.
But I have to admit, that I haven't touched it since purchasing a Huben GK1 .22 for my Xmas present, lol.
I'll be back to the AP16 of course, after the Huben newness wears off. 😉

Here's a couple pics after my changes.
Have Fun!
Ataman AP16-04~02.jpg
Ataman AP16-04.jpg

Reactions: AJ_Roberts
I was enjoying shooting my Ataman last fall, after modding it a little, adding a red dot sight, rubber grip, Picatinny rails, and a moderator.
Those changes really inspired me to get it out and shoot it often again, after a pretty long hiatus.They are such solid pistols, imo.
But I have to admit, that I haven't touched it since purchasing a Huben GK1 .22 for my Xmas present, lol.
I'll be back to the AP16 of course, after the Huben newness wears off. 😉

Here's a couple pics after my changes.
Have Fun!
View attachment 435504View attachment 435505
Here’s my mod

IMG_1957.jpeg

Reactions: AJ_Roberts
  • Love
Reactions: Genob and Modski66
😂yeah I was stretching it with the Notos but the Tequila Gun is very similar to the AP16 and probably more durable. I’ve been communicating with the maker of that gun who by the way lives in Texas and he says he designed the gun after the AP16.
I can say for fact, that the Tequila Gun's "basics" were started from the AP16. The guns insides are "similar" to the AP16, only because there's only so...much that can be done to make a PCP gun work, especially in a small package. !!!

During the guns design, the Tequila Guns design went through MANY...changes before it hit the market. I know...I was there.

One thing, I have two AP16's, and one Tequila Gun.
My AP16's have been in my position for over two years. My Tequila Gun has been in my position for about 8 or 10 months. My Tequila Gun needs seal(s) replaced ! It's currently unshootable. And that's with less shots through it than my AP16.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm bad mouthing my Tequila Gun, I'm not...really. I very much like the gun, I was there during it's design, it has some of my direct influence in it. But the fact is, it failed (seal(s) way too early.
Both of my AP16's are still going strong.

1712988881399.jpeg

1712988860296.jpeg

Mike

Reactions: Genob
I can say for fact, that the Tequila Gun's "basics" were started from the AP16. The guns insides are "similar" to the AP16, only because there's only so...much that can be done to make a PCP gun work, especially in a small package. !!!

During the guns design, the Tequila Guns design went through MANY...changes before it hit the market. I know...I was there.

One thing, I have two AP16's, and one Tequila Gun.
My AP16's have been in my position for over two years. My Tequila Gun has been in my position for about 8 or 10 months. My Tequila Gun needs seal(s) replaced ! It's currently unshootable. And that's with less shots through it than my AP16.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm bad mouthing my Tequila Gun, I'm not...really. I very much like the gun, I was there during it's design, it has some of my direct influence in it. But the fact is, it failed (seal(s) way too early.
Both of my AP16's are still going strong.

View attachment 455087

View attachment 455086

Mike
I had three AP16’s that all failed ( seal leaks ) within a few months or less and all were returned. The AP16’s aren’t even sold by any vendors now. If the Tequila gun seals leaked so quickly that should give you an idea about the reliability of these guns. I’ve been shooting my Huben GK1 about 200 rounds a day for months and haven’t a single problem with it.

I had three AP16’s that all failed ( seal leaks ) within a few months or less and all were returned. The AP16’s aren’t even sold by any vendors now. If the Tequila gun seals leaked so quickly that should give you an idea about the reliability of these guns. I’ve been shooting my Huben GK1 about 200 rounds a day for months and haven’t a single problem with it.
I've been an airgunout (pun intended) for more than 45 years, one thing I know is there are only two things with air guns. Those that have leaked and those waiting about leak, lol. Nice set up you got there.

To have 3 AP16s that have leaked is surprising. I've had the one in the first post since 2020 and not a single leak. Owned others before it and they never leaked as well. You can't find them in the US any longer because they are a Russian brand - but the AP16s are still some of the best pistol sout there along with the HW44.

To try and compare Ataman's to the Huben GK1 is silly though. We're talking 9-15 fpe pistols compared with a 30-80fpe pistol. It's just not a fair comparison. Both are awesome in their own ways, but the Huben certainly doesn't make the AP16 a useless pistol - they both have their place.

Wow, you've been around haven't you ?

"Stuff" happens, or are you living in a fantasy world ?
New seals fail, even in $3000 guns, or don't you read other forums? I know, you are a one forum guy.!

While yeah, a little annoying, in NO way am I going to put down the Tequila Gun for a single seal failure
A gun that shoots well and accurately, aims well, "has" held air, no mechanical problems whatsoever, I have no real complaints. When I get some time, I'll fix it and move on, like real people.

Mike

Mike help me to debug the mechanical design. He shared with me a lot of tips to do it more robust and consistent. I approached his skill and experience to do the project successfully. When I designed the gun I never have contact with the PCP world, so I did some mechanical error, but them were solved when mike take a look of the prototype and sent me his recommendations.
Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genob
Mike help me to debug the mechanical design. He shared with me a lot of tips to do it more robust and consistent. I approached his skill and experience to do the project successfully. When I designed the gun I never have contact with the PCP world, so I did some mechanical error, but them were solved when mike take a look of the prototype and sent me his recommendations.
Thanks Mike.

Ah, thank you for the kind words.
It was a fun challenge helping your project along. It also gave me more insight into the heart of the PCP world.

I actually got my gun apart this evening, since my car project was halted by the impending rain tomorrow. Drag racing and rain...don't go together.

A simple o-ring swap, and I'm back in business. I do need to brave the rain tomorrow to get some "current" Loctite though, so I can reassemble it.
After taking it apart, everything else looks good. No damage or concerns about any of the moving parts surfaces at all. A little cleaning, and back together.

Mike