• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

ATAMAN AP16 and Red dot

Hi , I've an Ataman AP16 pistol , which is by far the best air pistol I get. I like the "1911" look and I want to keep it like that . Anyway I need to put something to shoot accurately at 30/ 40 yards, without destroying its look ; so I don't want a scope , rather a small Red Dot system , like Vortex Or Doc Star . the problem is almost all Red Dot are fitted with Picatinny rail , an the Ataman is 11mm rail ; moreover I don't want , if possible , an adapter.

One Red Dot fitted in 11mm is the Diana , as you can see on the pic below ; it's not too big but for me a smaller one would be better, without this "scope look". Anyway I get some results with it , shooting a 5 shots group at 30 yards , JSB RS 13.4 gr. Red dot in itself is too large to be really accurate but , well ...that was not too bad .

So , if anybody knows a "smal Red Dot" with 11mm rail ....he'll be welcome to let me know :)

Mike

IMG_1179.1627110607.JPG

This maybe along the lines of what your looking for. Compact dot and adapter works great. This is a Holosun red dot with a UTG adapter installed in the base. below is the adapter. This is off my AP16 that will be reinstalled on the pistol after I find what pellets shoot best, Presently have scope and bipod installed for pellet testing.

100_1141.1627132162.JPG
100_1143.1627132171.JPG

Try "OpticsPlanet". I think that they sell world wide.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/holosun?_iv_gridSize=240

AirNGasman has a very good point...

Stick with the 2mm and 3mm dot size, Stay away from the 5mm and 6mm sizes. The large sizes will "cover" your target, you need to "see" what you're aiming at ! Plus, with the smaller dots, the higher that you go on the brightness, the dot will "appear" larger. A "delta" or closed triangle is a good "dot" shape also. You adjust the sight so the target is at the top of the triangle. They will normally be larger...and that fine in this case. I have a couple, they are great. But they are also usually higher priced.

One nice thing about the Holosun. They (most of'em) have a 2mm dot, OR a 65mm circle, OR a combination of both, just an adjustment away. Many like the circle + the dot. It make for faster target acquisition. After you get used to the sight, you can switch to the dot only if you like. They have very crisp, round dots also, not fuzzy footballs like may cheaper sights. Even for those that wear glasses as I do.

Mike

P.S. - Note that the Holosun sights in general, are a little higher priced than many on the market. I'd say that they are pretty much middle of the road in cost. I have cheaper red dot sights...they are either on the shelf, or on my cheaper/junk BB guns !

Thanks for your advices , MikeW ; I checked on the web and ,yes , Holosun are available in Belgium. I'll ordered mine tomorrow , with an UTG adapter.

A year ago I bought a shoulder stock for my AP16 . It was neatly built in anodized aluminium , easy to install and fited with a UTG scope. The accuracy was improved , of course , but.....the AP16 wasn't a pistol anymore , so I removed it recently to get the real pistol back.The Huma moderator works very well on the Ataman , no POI shifting issues.

Mike
IMG_1114.1627197842.JPG