At what point does a pellet become a slug?

That would be a near perfect weight for a 25 cal of that design. I'd like a 308 cal to be over 100 grains. But, how about this one in 135 grain. My Cothran makes 185fpe with it. I know, it's a slug.
NOE 308.jpg

But wait...if the gun has riflings, ALL projectiles shot from it are spin stabilyzed...skirt or not. In a rifled barrel, the skirt just expands out to fill the riflings to better seal the projectile in the barrel. But weather at the nose or at the base of the projectile, it IS spin stabilyzed. The only gun that could truly say it's projectiles are drag stabilyzed would have to have a smooth bore... So now it becomes gun dependant, if rifled, it's a slug, if smoothbore, it's a pellet.

Chris

A tiny skirt still produces drag/lift, so those "slullets" technically still are "pellets".
Spin is for slugs.

Matthias

View attachment 280934
257pellet-05.jpg

Not because they would be any better than slugs, but because some matches (100yd airgun benchrest for instance) only allow "pellets", and I'd like a "pellet" that will shoot good in my .257 barrel.

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
I've been shooting these JSB "Beast" pellets in both 177 (16.2 grain) and 22 (34 grain) cal. They are really, really good, hit hard and fly repeatably. I have also used what are called slugs with less success. Some weigh more, some less. What is the determining factor? Is it a shape? Does the use of a skirt automatically preclude the name "slug"? Some "slugs" have a hollowed base that I think does the same thing as a skirt. Or is it a weight thing? If so, what is the threshold?
In the powder burning world, the term slug is used as a kind of catch bucket referring to all projectiles. But I'd bet the term was originally coined to describe "lead" bullets. Not to say there aren't lots of different sub-categories... FMJ, HP, HPBT etc etc etc.
So, what is the determining factor that separates pellets from slugs?
Chris
I think the main thing .pellets are best shot with speed up to 920 fps may be a bit faster. Anything more it become unstable and the range is shorter because of the aerodynamics or bc, A slug can be shot speeds well above the 920 fps and the range is farther and the bc is better for the longer range. Thats the best i can do,lol here is a pic of both, skirted= drag like a birdie in badminton, and a slug.

IMG_20220817_154314844.jpg

Last edited: