At what point does a pellet become a slug?

I've been shooting these JSB "Beast" pellets in both 177 (16.2 grain) and 22 (34 grain) cal. They are really, really good, hit hard and fly repeatably. I have also used what are called slugs with less success. Some weigh more, some less. What is the determining factor? Is it a shape? Does the use of a skirt automatically preclude the name "slug"? Some "slugs" have a hollowed base that I think does the same thing as a skirt. Or is it a weight thing? If so, what is the threshold?
In the powder burning world, the term slug is used as a kind of catch bucket referring to all projectiles. But I'd bet the term was originally coined to describe "lead" bullets. Not to say there aren't lots of different sub-categories... FMJ, HP, HPBT etc etc etc.
So, what is the determining factor that separates pellets from slugs?
Chris

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
I don't think you'll find a mathematical rule that gives you a precise answer for every theoretical projectile.

Pellets have the diablo shape with the skirt. Slugs are a more traditional bullet shape.

Presumably the best definition would be functional. Pellets stabilize like a shuttlecock -- i.e. more drag than spin based. Slugs stabilize primarily through spin.

So, here is a particularly old design originally used for "light plinking and small gaming" in 45-70. Only 150 grains...quite light for a 45-70.

1657481911382.png

Pellet or slug? To me, it's a slug, just a very short one with a single grease groove. BUT, it is shaped somewhat like a shuttle cock. And it flies nice out of my 457 air rifle and 45-70 cartridge gun.
Chris

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Swing360
A pellet becomes a slug when it identifies as such. Pay attention to the pellet's preferred pronouns, whether it flies straight or spirals off to the left, and other identifiable and vague characteristics. Then, forget it all and just accept everything for what it is.
In reality, classifications like this are pretty outdated as is the idea of even needing classifications. They're all projectiles really. It's best to let pellets be whatever they what to be, and in fact, slugs can and should be allowed to be pellets if they so choose.
:unsure:
:sneaky::cool:

So, here is a particularly old design originally used for "light plinking and small gaming" in 45-70. Only 150 grains...quite light for a 45-70.

View attachment 274401

Pellet or slug? To me, it's a slug, just a very short one with a single grease groove. BUT, it is shaped somewhat like a shuttle cock. And it flies nice out of my 457 air rifle and 45-70 cartridge gun.
Chris
I think that's called Collar button. The mold has been sold under that name. I have one of those mold but is new production. From NOE if I recall correct..

Last edited:

View attachment 274401

Chris
I use this Collar Buttons in my Air Force Texan, with excelent results!

I've been shooting these JSB "Beast" pellets in both 177 (16.2 grain) and 22 (34 grain) cal. They are really, really good, hit hard and fly repeatably. I have also used what are called slugs with less success. Some weigh more, some less. What is the determining factor? Is it a shape? Does the use of a skirt automatically preclude the name "slug"? Some "slugs" have a hollowed base that I think does the same thing as a skirt. Or is it a weight thing? If so, what is the threshold?
In the powder burning world, the term slug is used as a kind of catch bucket referring to all projectiles. But I'd bet the term was originally coined to describe "lead" bullets. Not to say there aren't lots of different sub-categories... FMJ, HP, HPBT etc etc etc.
So, what is the determining factor that separates pellets from slugs?
Chris
I have recently started using the 34g beast and are impressed by them, I don’t shoot over 100yds so I sold all my impact slug shooters, and went back to just shooting pellets, the slug craze is getting stupid crazy, my current setup is shooting the beast @ 965fps, that’s like 70fpe from a .22 pellet, so all you slug crazed people out there please tell me why my pellet is not as good as your slug? Yes I know slugs do better past 100yds, change my mind why a slug would be superior for shooting under 100yds, and my current pellet setup is lights out accurate the pic is the difference in height from the monster re-design and the beast

74BA8EBA-901B-4CCC-B54D-42C10F1ACC78.jpeg