At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

• Total voters
I shoot anywhere from 15 yds to 100 yds around my house that sits in the middle of 4 acres , my neighbor across the street sometimes calls me to shoot birds out of her trees and power lines that range from 103 to 200 yds from my house under my car port and the fx m3 22 cal 700mm does the job with slugs I have a gap of 75 yard from east to west to shoot through so I must be careful when shooting that way which is south of my house 🏠 she calls when birds start making a mess at her house...

22 LR Henry golden boy.. but even if I can't stretch 22 PCP that far it sure would be nice.. I shoot both but I prefer PCP and well I probably wouldn't shoot the Henry hardly ever if I could just somehow find a way to get a mustang lobo lever action.. it's really close looking to a Winchester 30-30.
at a prior place I had a range that I shot across a canyon but it was safe since you could see all the sides and open in between .. big rock in the back and dirt on all sides.. took awhile to get where I could put pretty much every round in the magazine in the 1 gallon can.. and no one realizes how tricky and how much practice it takes.. you are well over 30 ft low on the normal sight and if you get a decent wind it could be 30 ft to the side.. plus with the canyon it was well over 100 ft deep so you don't know what the wind is doing there..
got pretty good at it and usually a sight in shot and good to go.. if you miss you could see the dirt kick up.. and a very rewarding tink what seemed to be a minute after the shot, but I don't ever remember timing it..
I was originally thinking about the gauntlet 30 caliber but I have been told that I would be better with 22 and heavy slugs and tuning to get enough power to push the slugs fast enough.. the person said that 22 would have a flatter shooting arc than 30 caliber.. I am sure 177 would be flatter than 22 but I have matching golden boy 22 and 17hmr and of course the 17 shoots flat 300 yards but if there's much wind it goes off course easier than 22 so I don't take 17hmr out of there's a breeze..
so basically I want to do similar with airgun.. and I don't know, I might not be able to find a clearing that I feel safe enough to shoot the full 1/4 mile.. I want to know where the lead stops and I don't want any chances of hitting a deer because of too narrow a view.. safety first..
anyone who has done long distance shooting.. knows what it is like shooting and then waiting for impact and then sound of impact..
I've had people tell me that 22lr is not powerful over 50 yards but at 1/4 mile the bullet is a pancake when it hits a rock.. now I know that airgun will not be as powerful.. but there's no reason to cause injury.

I hope I'm making it clear, not trying to get powder guns talking about but trying to do similar things with airguns.. just like people are now using big bore airguns to hunt, well pretty large game..
also no I don't want to hunt or paper punch at that distance.. just a air gun, pellets.. umm well slugs and a tin can..

I don't know why it wouldn't be possible because I do like watching the Quigly bucket challenge with airguns.. pretty much all are airforce texan 45.. but I don't want recoil so I'm hoping someone can point out a gun that I can hopefully afford .. I was sort of thinking about the avenger or avenger X.. but I welcome some suggestions
Mark

I think a Guantlet 30 with some lighter weight ammo would shoot as flat a curve as some super-high-power 22 caliber with heavy 40 grain slugs.

Am I wrong? Unless you want to go supersonic on that 22 ammo which would lose accuracy, I don't see how the caliber matters that much. And the 30 cal will have the extra power on tap versus pushing the limits on a 22 to even come close.

A Gauntlet 30 will do 1050 FPS on a 45 grain projectile. That includes FX hybrid slugs or other light slugs. That's a pretty flat shot and staying just under supersonic. But your accuracy will improve a little bit if you shoot something heavier in the 900s. Just a little though.

Nice thing about G30 is you can really turn down the power via hammer spring screw and be shooting 30 grain pellets at around 70 FPE. Instead of the 120-ish FPE that is max power. So you can do that 75 yard or less super accurate thing with regular pellets as well.

I have a good amount of airguns but I am never letting go of my Guantlet 30. It's an absolute sweet heart to me!

Reactions: markhooper
I think a Guantlet 30 with some lighter weight ammo would shoot as flat a curve as some super-high-power 22 caliber with heavy 40 grain slugs.

Am I wrong? Unless you want to go supersonic on that 22 ammo which would lose accuracy, I don't see how the caliber matters that much. And the 30 cal will have the extra power on tap versus pushing the limits on a 22 to even come close.

A Gauntlet 30 will do 1050 FPS on a 45 grain projectile. That includes FX hybrid slugs or other light slugs. That's a pretty flat shot and staying just under supersonic. But your accuracy will improve a little bit if you shoot something heavier in the 900s. Just a little though.

Nice thing about G30 is you can really turn down the power via hammer spring screw and be shooting 30 grain pellets at around 70 FPE. Instead of the 120-ish FPE that is max power. So you can do that 75 yard or less super accurate thing with regular pellets as well.

I have a good amount of airguns but I am never letting go of my Guantlet 30. It's an absolute sweet heart to me!
thank you so much for your feedback.. I really appreciate it.. I was on the fence about the g30 vs the 22 avenger X.. I guess my thought also has been that?? possibly?? the avenger X could be tuned for the slugs and then use the hi/low port selector to go to low and shoot regular pellets? that's a big question ⁉️ though and you have a very good point of it not quite having as much power on tap.. and I get that because even if you tuned the avenger X to the same regulator pressure, I'm guessing that it also has a smaller pelenium.. and it is probably why they only go to 25 caliber.. I talked with pyramid about it and I was told that they have no plans for a 30 caliber conversion kit..
so everything you said made sense.. I guess I just prefer side lever over bolt action..
it's a good thing I can't find the mustang lobo lever action dealer, since I prefer cowboy guns.. because I'm guessing that it would bust my bank account.. 🤣
Mark

My 75 yard target gets a workout. Pellets and slugs. I think it’s because at that yardage you’re right on the precipice of looking like a fool if you or your gun is having a bad day. My second favorite yardage is 135. That’s for when I want to judge my gun. When I want to push it, I move to 285 yards. If I could only shoot one distance, it would be 50 yards.
The gun doesn't have a bad day 90% of the time it is human error.