At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

• Total voters
I shoot pistol and occasionally rifle currently at a 30 yard spinner.. rifle 50 yards spinner.. but I love to shoot 100+ yards just at reactive targets.. like metal cans so you see movement and hear the hit.. this is currently.. and I will very occasionally get a varmint at whatever distance I see it...
I don't hunt so the gray squirrels in my yard only have to worry about my blue heeler trying to round them up 🤣
I'm working on setting up a permanent 100 yard range with distance markers to try different distances with different size targets..
but I really want to get back into shooting 1/4 mile.. my American tactical liberty nova 22 looses it at 170.. I think tumbling..
but I've been trying to find out what rifle I can afford to I'm assuming slugs and get out to a 1/4 mile distance.. so far no luck on figuring out what rifle..be great if someone has a suggestion..I also have to find a clearing in the woods next to me that is long enough for a safe shot and stop.
mark

I shoot pistol and occasionally rifle currently at a 30 yard spinner.. rifle 50 yards spinner.. but I love to shoot 100+ yards just at reactive targets.. like metal cans so you see movement and hear the hit.. this is currently.. and I will very occasionally get a varmint at whatever distance I see it...
I don't hunt so the gray squirrels in my yard only have to worry about my blue heeler trying to round them up 🤣
I'm working on setting up a permanent 100 yard range with distance markers to try different distances with different size targets..
but I really want to get back into shooting 1/4 mile.. my American tactical liberty nova 22 looses it at 170.. I think tumbling..
but I've been trying to find out what rifle I can afford to I'm assuming slugs and get out to a 1/4 mile distance.. so far no luck on figuring out what rifle..be great if someone has a suggestion..I also have to find a clearing in the woods next to me that is long enough for a safe shot and stop.
mark
Hey Mark,

What were you using to shoot 1/4 mile before? And yes, if you want to do it with airguns, you WILL need to use slugs. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

mark
Hey Mark,

What were you using to shoot 1/4 mile before? And yes, if you want to do it with airguns, you WILL need to use slugs. (smile)

You mentioned "tumbling", but I think you meant "spiraling". At 170 yards there are a lot of thing that can happen with pellets.

All I have been able to do with .177 pellets is just under 100 yards and spiraling was an issue if there was wind and the fps was approaching 870fps.

Never tried pushing it faster because I need to keep it quiet and anything past ~850fps with my guns (no moderators) simply gets too loud.

All my best!

Kerry

Hey Mark,

All my best!

Kerry
22 LR Henry golden boy.. but even if I can't stretch 22 PCP that far it sure would be nice.. I shoot both but I prefer PCP and well I probably wouldn't shoot the Henry hardly ever if I could just somehow find a way to get a mustang lobo lever action.. it's really close looking to a Winchester 30-30.
at a prior place I had a range that I shot across a canyon but it was safe since you could see all the sides and open in between .. big rock in the back and dirt on all sides.. took awhile to get where I could put pretty much every round in the magazine in the 1 gallon can.. and no one realizes how tricky and how much practice it takes.. you are well over 30 ft low on the normal sight and if you get a decent wind it could be 30 ft to the side.. plus with the canyon it was well over 100 ft deep so you don't know what the wind is doing there..
got pretty good at it and usually a sight in shot and good to go.. if you miss you could see the dirt kick up.. and a very rewarding tink what seemed to be a minute after the shot, but I don't ever remember timing it..
I was originally thinking about the gauntlet 30 caliber but I have been told that I would be better with 22 and heavy slugs and tuning to get enough power to push the slugs fast enough.. the person said that 22 would have a flatter shooting arc than 30 caliber.. I am sure 177 would be flatter than 22 but I have matching golden boy 22 and 17hmr and of course the 17 shoots flat 300 yards but if there's much wind it goes off course easier than 22 so I don't take 17hmr out of there's a breeze..
so basically I want to do similar with airgun.. and I don't know, I might not be able to find a clearing that I feel safe enough to shoot the full 1/4 mile.. I want to know where the lead stops and I don't want any chances of hitting a deer because of too narrow a view.. safety first..
anyone who has done long distance shooting.. knows what it is like shooting and then waiting for impact and then sound of impact..
I've had people tell me that 22lr is not powerful over 50 yards but at 1/4 mile the bullet is a pancake when it hits a rock.. now I know that airgun will not be as powerful.. but there's no reason to cause injury.

I hope I'm making it clear, not trying to get powder guns talking about but trying to do similar things with airguns.. just like people are now using big bore airguns to hunt, well pretty large game..
also no I don't want to hunt or paper punch at that distance.. just a air gun, pellets.. umm well slugs and a tin can..

I don't know why it wouldn't be possible because I do like watching the Quigly bucket challenge with airguns.. pretty much all are airforce texan 45.. but I don't want recoil so I'm hoping someone can point out a gun that I can hopefully afford .. I was sort of thinking about the avenger or avenger X.. but I welcome some suggestions
Mark

@markhooper

I think/know 1/4 mile is possible with an airgun, but forget .177. .22 slugs might get you there, but I would suggest a slug gun in at least .25 or .30.

Having said that, as you may already know, all I shoot is .177 pellets, so what I have said reflects what I have read. Not any real world experience.

I understand what you mean about the wind. With .177 10.3 pellets, even at 93 yards, the slightest wind (and it does swirl where I can shoot) can make a huge difference, especially in windage, but not so much in elevation... most of the time.

Anyway, health issues kept me up all night and I am finally sleepy... so... good night/morning!

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: markhooper
ma
@markhooper

I think/know 1/4 mile is possible with an airgun, but forget .177. .22 slugs might get you there, but I would suggest a slug gun in at least .25 or .30.

Having said that, as you may already know, all I shoot is .177 pellets, so what I have said reflects what I have read. Not any real world experience.

I understand what you mean about the wind. With .177 10.3 pellets, even at 93 yards, the slightest wind (and it does swirl where I can shoot) can make a huge difference, especially in windage, but not so much in elevation... most of the time.

Anyway, health issues kept me up all night and I am finally sleepy... so... good night/morning!

All my best!

Kerry
Matthew at pyramid said that he thought the gauntlet 30 was a good choice, but I don't remember who told me here on the forum that I would be a lot better with 22 and heavy slugs..
I guess another issue is my budget.. there's no way I can get a brocock, FX or daystate..
so it's like avenger, avenger X, or umarex gauntlet gen 2.. or possiblity something that's not so expensive..
thank you for your input.
Mark

Reactions: BackStop
I've got an LD pistol, seemingly capable of uncanny accuracy, that I shoot off hand, (sitting), at a pair of 5 inch stainless plates positioned 50 yards distant. Makes a pretty good "clank". Had to go to steel cause I was blowing right through the coffee can lids and aluminum pie plates at that distance. I enjoy the feedback from watching the plates jump around, and the clank when hit.

I've got an LD pistol, seemingly capable of uncanny accuracy, that I shoot off hand, (sitting), at a pair of 5 inch stainless plates positioned 50 yards distant. Makes a pretty good "clank". Had to go to steel cause I was blowing right through the coffee can lids and aluminum pie plates at that distance. I enjoy the feedback from watching the plates jump around, and the clank when hit.
Gutshot,
I have a piece of 1/16” thick stainless steel I found laying around. It’s 5”x7” with a 1/4” hole in top two corners for a light chain. I hang it at 50 yds. It makes a nice clang and swings pretty good with impact.

Reactions: Gutshot