At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

• Total voters
I have two Impacts set up for ELR. A MK2 and an M3, both are 700mm. Originally they were both in .22 and most of my shooting has been done with 28-29grn slugs.
A huge part of my setup is using adjustable scope bases with the Absolute MOA Digital Readout System so that I can dial to nearly any range with absolute precision just as easy as most can shoot at 50 yards.
I have several threads in the ELR section here on AGN showing what my MK2 is capable of, including sub MOA groups at over 400 yards and some 615 yard soda can kills.
I've recently converted my M3 to a .25 and have been experimenting with some prototype high BC slugs to make the job a little easier. This morning I was able to connect with the steel swinging targets at our local range at 300, 400, 500, 550, and 590 yards with relative ease compared to the more traditional .22 slugs I've been using.
View attachment 391277
You should try out for the SEALS. S7

I voted 20-50 yards because that is/was the best answer for what I have been shooting/pesting for the last 6 years.

However, now that I am tuning my .177 Akela for longer range (out to ~100 yards) relatively successfully, I think the poll should have allowed multiple answers or should have given more ranges.

Lately, most of my shooting IS at ~90 yards+. Just practice as I have found a small window where I can safely shoot at those distances where I live.
I still pest at the shorter distances, but killing a chipmunk recently at ~89 yards started me on a quest to be more consistently accurate at that distance.

Of course, the majority of my pesting has been from 5-35 yards with a good amount of that from 35-60 yards, but the poll didn't allow for those answers.

Anyway, now that I am able to shoot .177/10.3 pellets above ~750fps, the longer ranges (up to ~100 yards) is a lot more doable and compared to trying that at ~750 fps, a LOT easier and more consistent!

I now understand and appreciate setting up a scope much more than I did at the shorter ranges and totally understand why a good bubble level on the scope (set up properly) is a MUST at the longer distances. At the shorter distances (under 50 yards) it was never really a big problem not using one.

YMMV... (grin)

Last edited:
I shoot at 15 yard in my cellar which is about 20 yards long. Problem is a good back stop With the smaller calibers I had a piece of steel which stopped the pellets pretty good but I bought a 9mm AEA and it blew right through the weakened steel So I built a stop out of 4x4 pressure treated wood the 9mm is making a mess of the wood and hitting my cement foundation. (gotta get some steel plate)

Wooo Hooo, I'm in the majority! :LOL: My springers and 'small guns' like my notos are zero'd at 30yds because I've got six spinners set up at various distances from my 2nd story deck just for fun. My huntin' guns are zero'd at 40yds since I'll be more or less shooting at those ranges in the woods. I'm still working on setting up my Huben for long range.

I shoot a solid 10m indoors in the cold months and am limited to 25 yards max in my suburban yard, though mostly I shoot from a chair at 20 meters outside, using the chair arm to prop up my supporting arm. My mobility has drastically diminished over the past year so I am very grateful that manufacturers have remembered "short shooters" like me in their offerings. I also appreciate how interest in quiet shooting has driven the development of airgun moderators, with the result that clever, inexpensive sound solutions have come into the market. Shooting lower power guns with little-to-no bark is a blessing to all us suburban shooters with either no access to or no capacity to stretch out our shot distances.

40 yards. For all cal. pellets and arrows.
20231023_182955.jpg