• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

At what distance do you typically shoot your airgun?

• Total voters
I just shoot for fun. For paper target shooting, I set up at both 25 and 50 yards. For the most part, I like my 25 yard target. I just get in my zen mode and shoot groups as tight as I can. Other than that, metal targets out to 75 yards. When other guys show up, we'll often compete playing horse (remember shooting baskets in the driveway when we were kids - like that, only with a rifle). The other day, a friend and I were shooting out on our range and 5 hours went by before we knew it. Shooting is just plain fun. Orv.

A lot of it is hold and trigger control. Tune can help, so can adjusting the physical balance of the gun. My pistol shooting has improved vastly in the past 3-4yrs

As for distance, I'd say on average I most often fall somewhere around 30 yards. Pistols or rifles, doesn't matter.
Getting a rifle zeroed at any distance will allow you to use a ballistics calculator and dial to any distance. You will need a chronograph as the muzzle velocity and projectile weight will determine your dialing. The bc of the projectile can be determined if you can measure fps at different distances.

Usually from 30 to 50 or some more meters, depending on where the chickens are. When they are all visible, its the long one if not the short one that has good pellet/slug stopper....

IMG_1546.jpeg

I think 20 to 50 is kind of the sweet spot for airgunning in general. There is very little drop if any, and accuracy at this range is very good with quality equipment. I would prefer to shoot longer ranges, but am limited to the space in my backyard. That said, it takes some additional effort to maintain accuracy once you start approaching the 75 to 100 yard range. I'm not one to really want to measure and sort my projectiles to achieve maximum consistency.

Reactions: rcs9250 and L.Leon
Are you shooting pellets or slugs, What kind. Currently have a gauntlet 30, and i am looking for a challenger pro

I'm using these Griffin 64 grain slugs. They're one of the few slugs I've found that easily load into the breech, and the accuracy is spot on. I was getting pretty close to MOA at 110 yards a couple days ago.

The Challenger Pro is less picky when it comes to slugs but I use NSA 61 grain .303 sized for that one, at least most of the time.

If I could only keep 1 of those guns it would be a tough decision, but something about the way the Guantlet fires (trigger, recoil, sound etc) I find to be a more relaxing and satisfying experience. The Challenger Pro 30 has a bit more twang and pop... but does have a slight advantage in power and adjustable regulator, power wheel, etc.

Reactions: albertogta
I'm using these Griffin 64 grain slugs. They're one of the few slugs I've found that easily load into the breech, and the accuracy is spot on. I was getting pretty close to MOA at 110 yards a couple days ago.

The Challenger Pro is less picky when it comes to slugs but I use NSA 61 grain .303 sized for that one, at least most of the time.

If I could only keep 1 of those guns it would be a tough decision, but something about the way the Guantlet fires (trigger, recoil, sound etc) I find to be a more relaxing and satisfying experience. The Challenger Pro 30 has a bit more twang and pop... but does have a slight advantage in power and adjustable regulator, power wheel, etc.
thanks for the info I'll give them a try

I would think that the question should have categories:

Offhand iron sights Co2 Pistol - 10 to 25 feet for me indoors

Scoped pistol under 20fpe - 10 yards to 65 yards for me

Scoped rifle under 20fpe - 10 yards to 100 yards for me

Scoped rifle over 20fpe - 15 yards to 375 yards for me

maybe more, but that might be enough.. most of us have lots of different air guns to play with.