• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

At 30 yards what should my grouping be?

I have an ATAC and have had good and bad results with it. It is simply inconsistent at longer ranges. Even with a Tuna trigger (which helps a LOT). 30 yards and under, it is pretty awesome. 9 out of 10 shots where you want it to be....but farther out, it is a roll of the dice. I spanked a squirrel in the head at 60-70+ yards once....but I could not imagine how many times it would take me to recreate that shot. LOL I did find that the heaver pellets always worked best for me in the "super fast" .177 calibers. 9.5 to 10.5 grains. One of my favorite is the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme, .177 Cal, 9.57 Grains, Hollowpoint. They shoot very well out of my ATAC and my X20.

I came pretty close to going the Marauder route for $500, but decided to save up another year (lots of expense checks...shhhh dont tell the wife) and went with the Bobcat .25. No regrets :) My advice is if you want to spend $500.....save up a little more and get something even nicer. I doubt you'll regret it! 8)

"crosman2016"What is the advantage, if any, with a .25 caliber versus a .22 caliber? Why do they make two, so close in caliber size?
When it comes to hunting small game the .25 caliber has much more surface area than the .22 cal. and thus much more knock down power. The .25 cal. also is much less affected by the wind because of the extra weight. The above things generally hold true. There are some good videos like this one to illustrate these facts.

Reactions: crosman2016
I see. Big difference between the .25 and the .22! Man, it looks like they are using the PCP style of rifle to me. I have been doing some research, and the PCP sounds like the way to go with the rifle, but the "start up" cost is most certainly more. If I am going to do it, I think I will want to go that rout. I was planning on buying a rifle to go along with my pistol, next month, but I think I will save a couple more months and go with a little more expensive PCP rifle and some kind of air source as well. I don't want to do this half way...you know what I mean? I have a number of firearms, and none of those are "half baked" set ups, rifles or pistols, so I guess I'll save some more and go with one of the RWS PCP rifles I was looking at, and some form of air charger. The air source seems as much as the rifle does!