• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Assistance needed with FX Wildcat MKIII

I got a shipping label today to send my wc mkIII sniper in to get looked at, for maxxing out at 51fpe.

At the same time, they are accepting and reviewing my old metal-backed mag that they still claim should fit, for review and possible replacement.

This is a screenshot from FX’s website it says that the .25 Sniper MKIII’s power is 

“up to “ 70 fpe

1591221253_12614477445ed81c0548b4c6.77545601.jpeg

“up to”

I could be completely wrong, but “up to” could mean a lot of different things. I think “up to” is insinuating that it is possible with modifications, future parts (plenums), dual transfer port, the right power tuning, etc.

Out of the box though, FX usually stays on the conservative side on power for there airguns.

I don’t know, but I’m just saying. Were you expecting 70 fpe out of the box? I don’t know everything, but what I do know is pretty solid.

Nothing wrong with getting it checked out by a professional. Hope that your end results are satisfactory!

When FX Support called me today, I explained that I had adjusted the hammer spring to coil bind, then backed out half a turn, PW on 7, and I was dropping FPS at 140bar due to low hammer spring. He said that was not right, and it should be getting more power. Max power at 820fps with 34gr pellets (51fpe) at 135bar was underperforming according to the tech.

My inital request was "what do i need to do to get 70fpe" so I wasn't expecting it out of the box, but I was expecting to reach that with factory parts.

When FX Support called me today, I explained that I had adjusted the hammer spring to coil bind, then backed out half a turn, PW on 7, and I was dropping FPS at 140bar due to low hammer spring. He said that was not right, and it should be getting more power. Max power at 820fps with 34gr pellets (51fpe) at 135bar was underperforming according to the tech.

My inital request was "what do i need to do to get 70fpe" so I wasn't expecting it out of the box, but I was expecting to reach that with factory parts.

I sincerely hope you get there, but I don’t see it in stock form. My gun stock form was shooting JSB King Heavy 33.95 grain @ 830 fps for 51fpe. Which is actually perfect through some eyes (not mine). After some of my power tuning tatics I am getting the below results.

1591235213_14749601475ed8528d736157.99886331.jpeg

Marvelous, but still not 70fpe, so...

idk?

JoeKool do you have to take the stock off to adjust the reg. and do you think a shot count of 36 is low from factory settings the specs say 60

Do you have the Compact or the Sniper MKIII?

36 is great for the Compact.

36 is low for the Sniper.

I’m guessing your regulator is set 140-150? I’ve found 125 -130 to be a sweet spot for the Sniper.

Depends where the regulator adjustment hole is. If you can’t see it or access it with the stock on then yes the stock must come off.

Counter clockwise increases reg pressure

Clockwise decreases reg pressure

It doesn’t take much, to make the regulator gauge needle move. A very slight turn of your Allen key can move the regulator pressure 5 to 10 bar. Watch the gauge closely while you make movements. After small decreasing (clockwise) movements you may have to take a dry fire shot for the gauge to reset.

people don’t break your guns... lol

or hurt yourselves, HPA is dangerous!

Before I state this... *Disclaimer*

FX probably set your Wildcat MKIII up perfectly from the factory. You don’t have to change anything and just shoot it as it is.

Now then. There are so many ways to do this but this is my way, and I am only sharing it because you asked me. I like to help people out.

(On power #7)

Quarter turns on the adjuster at a time (counter clockwise), then chronograph a few shots.

Is the speed increasing?

You want just enough hammer tension to reach the MKIII’s highest velocity with the AMP regulator’s pressure setting. No wasted air! Wasted air causes inaccuracies and poor efficiency.

Quarter turns are the moves you make then chronograph a couple shots, whether adjusting up or down. Find the top speed while power level # 7 is selected.

Now, here comes the efficiency part...

When and after you find the highest speed ( on power level # 7) Turn your HST wheel down to power level # 6. Take a few shots over the chronograph on power #6. You should see a 10 to 20 fps slower velocity. If you don’t, then you have got too much hammer spring tension. In other words you are adjusted too far out, which wastes air.

Dial it back... (clockwise) Quarter turns and take a few shots (Over the chrony) on power #7 and power #6. Until you see a 10 to 20 fps difference between power #6 and #7.

*BUT* You still want power # 7 to be at or around that highest velocity that you where reaching. But power #6 is a slower velocity. 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 power levels should all gradually be slower and slower fps.

Make sense?

Look at my power levels 1 through 7. Using Air Arms 25.4 grain pellets?

1591201937_3572706855ed7d0917ee034.52009935.png

Remember:

If there is no difference in speed of power 7 and 6 you’ve got too much hammer spring tension, and power 7 is wasting air. You want your highest setting to have just enough regulated air and hammer strike (tension) to the valve to give you your top speed. Nothing more nothing less. Every lower setting will fall where they fall, but gradually get slower down to power level #1.

I don’t use Hybrids sorry. Probably the best slug ever invented, but I need more in the box than 100 rounds. I shoot too much, and would literally go broke. To each their own, I am not a hater just a lover of how much is in my wallet.

Joekool thanks for all your feedback on the new Wildcat! Are you on the .25/.30 setting on the power wheel (if it has a similar power wheel to other FX airguns)? Can I ask what lowering it to "low" does to the FPS? 

Joekool thanks a lot for your valuable postings . Now still something on the powerwheel is not clear to me.

it the small allen screw adjustment in setting “ adjust” the main hammer spring tensioner with the 7 wheel settings as fine tunes or is it the other way around ? I find that I can turn the 1-7 positions cw or cc wise endlessly . This makes me believe that I do not tension or release the hammer spring with these settings . Am I coreect ? If so what exactly is happening with the 1-7 setting changes ? And can I indeed keep turning the wheel around in one random direction and will a specific number ( e.g. 3 or 5 ) over and over again represent the same setting ? 

sorry for my question but I can find no answers at FX or anywhere else thus far

thanks in advance 

yalel

Joekool thanks a lot for your valuable postings . Now still something on the powerwheel is not clear to me.

it the small allen screw adjustment in setting “ adjust” the main hammer spring tensioner with the 7 wheel settings as fine tunes or is it the other way around ? I find that I can turn the 1-7 positions cw or cc wise endlessly . This makes me believe that I do not tension or release the hammer spring with these settings . Am I coreect ? If so what exactly is happening with the 1-7 setting changes ? And can I indeed keep turning the wheel around in one random direction and will a specific number ( e.g. 3 or 5 ) over and over again represent the same setting ? 

sorry for my question but I can find no answers at FX or anywhere else thus far

thanks in advance 

yalel

1591618968_17307742565ede2d982f5d71.03264685.jpeg

If you where to remove the hammer wheel and look at both sides of it. ( the numbered side, and the side opposite of the numbers). You would see that each position representing the adjacent number on the opposite side slightly increases in depth relating to the numbered side. Setting #1 has a the shallowest depth, setting #2 is deeper, and #’s 3 through 7 all get slightly deeper still. As the numbers increase the amount of compression to the hammer spring also increases (when the airgun is cocked). Yes, the wheel spins freely when not cocked there is no stop. (It is designed to do this) When you pass up power # 7 and click to the adjust position (turning clockwise) the opposite side of the wheel is basically flat. Then at power position #1 it begins to increase hammer spring tension or reduces the area in which the spring has to be compressed. So on and so forth.

1591618872_8202359095ede2d38a08708.68377168.jpeg

The adjustment allen screw allows you to make micro adjustments (aka fine-tune)

1591618910_20288992765ede2d5ee88780.44230630.jpeg

The numbered wheel positions allow you to make macro adjustments (larger power changes 10 to 20 fps changes sometimes even more)

That is the best way I can explain it, hope it makes sense. It’s simple genius and it just works! I have always wondered how FX could implement external adjustable power settings to the Wildcat platform?? IMO, they did a great job!

JoeKool

Super thanks !!

when using the allen wrench I would say is stronger adjustment than a slight more pressure from the turning knob isn’t it ? I have the wildcat mk3 in 5.5 short version and installed the power plenum and hima pressure gauge to your example ! Thanks for the tips !

now I have bought Nielsen 17,5 grain slugs and want to shoot these at a nice speed . Would think 950 f/sec would be nice do you ?

what regulator pressure would you recommend me to start with in order to get as fast as possible to,the best tune for this. Do you recommend to have this most wanted speed at dial settting 7 or for example have some room upwards and have it under dial setting nbr 5 for example ?

last one ..... where is the egulator adjustment screw . Do not see any visible on the air tube ...

have a good day

yalel

Super thanks !!

when using the allen wrench I would say is stronger adjustment than a slight more pressure from the turning knob isn’t it ? I have the wildcat mk3 in 5.5 short version and installed the power plenum and hima pressure gauge to your example ! Thanks for the tips !

now I have bought Nielsen 17,5 grain slugs and want to shoot these at a nice speed . Would think 950 f/sec would be nice do you ?

what regulator pressure would you recommend me to start with in order to get as fast as possible to,the best tune for this. Do you recommend to have this most wanted speed at dial settting 7 or for example have some room upwards and have it under dial setting nbr 5 for example ?

last one ..... where is the egulator adjustment screw . Do not see any visible on the air tube ...

have a good day

yalel

I don’t know what regulator pressure you need, sorry my Sniper has a different barrel length which will change the dynamics of the tune altogether.

You installed the plenum extension and don’t know where the regulator hole is??? For real?? Don’t mean to sound rude, but you had to handle the air cylinder quite a bit to install the plenum extension and then put it all back together. It may be hidden behind the bracket assembly which tightens to secure the air cylinder.

I don’t recommend that anyone try to mirror what I have done to my own gun without experience. 

I have made the following statement a few times before, but I’ll say it once more.

I don’t power tune to reach the most absolute power that a gun is capable of. I power tune for my airguns to reach slightly higher power levels that they are tuned @ from the factory. Keeping the airgun somewhat efficient. I love the trajectory of heavy pellets and lighter slugs shooting in the low, mid, and upper 900’s. I have found “for myself” that accuracy is still very good in the 900 velocity speed range with FX’s STX barrels.

IMO, the Compact WC MKIII will probably work at it’s best and have the best usable accuracy at speeds around 850 to 900 fps. Due to the 500mm barrel, because very high regulator pressures and the paralleled high hammer spring tensions required to open the firing valve under those high regulator pressures will result in a excessive turbulent air blast. This will throw your projectile off it’s axis and you will most likely lose accuracy.

If I owned a MKIII compact I would tune for 890fps and be satisfied, it may perform at it’s best around there. That’s an opinion, not a proven fact. The Sniper MKIII is a whole different animal...

Research, educate yourself, or let a professional tune it, be 100% sure before you try these things. What “I” do is what “I” do, not necessarily what you “should” do...

Don’t break your airguns or hurt yourself mimicking me... I share what I do and have learned, it is not intended to be a professional airgun instructional tuning guide.

Joe

Joe thanks again . The local dealer had put in the power plenum for me on my request hence I did not notice any regulator adjusment “ hole” .

i believe when I just take the stock off I will find it later on today. 
i will be careful but as I read external regulator adjustment I expected some very simple job here without havimg to touch any other screw or bolt.

as I choose to start with a very light slug 17.5 grain I do not expect very much barking and blowing to get those in the 900’s with the WC short with powerplenum. I will let you know how this works out when I go,with your tuning method.

cheers

Yalel

Joe thanks again . The local dealer had put in the power plenum for me on my request hence I did not notice any regulator adjusment “ hole” .

i believe when I just take the stock off I will find it later on today. 
i will be careful but as I read external regulator adjustment I expected some very simple job here without havimg to touch any other screw or bolt.

as I choose to start with a very light slug 17.5 grain I do not expect very much barking and blowing to get those in the 900’s with the WC short with powerplenum. I will let you know how this works out when I go,with your tuning method.

cheers

Yalel

Best of luck !!

1591639455_21219094575ede7d9fb89779.01163913.jpeg
1591639455_9931085125ede7d9fde57d6.02129536.jpeg
Hope you can help me once more. I have started to “work” on WC compact with power plenum. I told you that the shop installed the power plenum and I took off the stock to see for the regulator adjusting hole. I do see the inser indeed but now it is at an impossible position to reach with an allen wrench. I believe that this is due to the installation of the power plenum. Can you please give me your opinion on what you think what is happening and potential reason / solution .

i hope I can adjust ( rotate ) the tube a bit as indicted in the pics in order to get the hole on the side and not under the rod/ mount

JoeKool do you have to take the stock off to adjust the reg. and do you think a shot count of 36 is low from factory settings the specs say 60

I am seeing the same thing with my mkIII .22 compact. It looks like FX is specifying shot count is measured@ 30 fpe vs max 40 fpe.
So I assume the hammer setting is much less than 7 to get the listed 60 shot count

1591639455_21219094575ede7d9fb89779.01163913.jpeg
1591639455_9931085125ede7d9fde57d6.02129536.jpeg
Hope you can help me once more. I have started to “work” on WC compact with power plenum. I told you that the shop installed the power plenum and I took off the stock to see for the regulator adjusting hole. I do see the inser indeed but now it is at an impossible position to reach with an allen wrench. I believe that this is due to the installation of the power plenum. Can you please give me your opinion on what you think what is happening and potential reason / solution .

i hope I can adjust ( rotate ) the tube a bit as indicted in the pics in order to get the hole on the side and not under the rod/ mount

You’re on the tight track. That is exactly where mine was and that is exactly what I did when I only had one DL power plenum installed. FX / Earnest Rowe I believe may be coming out with WC / Streamline plenum extenders made a little longer than those for the DL. I turned / tightened the cylinder just a hair more and then used a set of these type allen wrenches to adjust the Amp regulator... No problem.

1591646089_21131947105ede9789c56290.76542872.jpeg

https://910airguntuningandrepairsllc.com/

https://910airguntuningandrepairsllc.com/collections/frontpage/products/fx-wildcat-fx-streamline-plenum-single-extension-pre-order-only

I am seeing the same thing with my mkIII .22 compact. It looks like FX is specifying shot count is measured@ 30 fpe vs max 40 fpe.
So I assume the hammer setting is much less than 7 to get the listed 60 shot count

It came from the factory shooting 30.6 fpe for 36 shots. 

Super ! Good to hear that things move as they should. i will try slight turning . Do have the specific allen wrench set. In case the elongated plenum comes out would you please be so kind to give me notice ?

by the way I have left the regulator on 105-110 area ( also placed HUMA gauge) and shot the 17.5 grain nielsen slugs with 270 m/sec ( 885 ft/sec) 

55 shote from 220 -120 bar !!!

when turning back the powerwheel per step the decrease is a fine 10-20 ft. As you indicated. Think this is accidentially a fine tune for the riffle / ammo combi. Accidental because I could not adjust the regulator anyway...😅.

keep it this way as power is dine for my purpose. I want to be able to adjust the regulator anyhow hence will find a solution for the “ hidden” adjustiment hole. Furthermore due to the fact that the tube has come forward because of the extra plenum the Donny moderator does not fit anymore due to the diameter . At this setting the sound is that low that a smaller moderator is fine so I will find a well fitting one.
all in all I am blown away with the WC mk3 and hope this will be a long lasting love .....

You cannot or at least should not turn the power dial when the gun is cocked so first shoot it to release the tension and then you can dial it to your preferred setting again. 

When you have cocked the gun and loaded a pellet inside the barrel you can also just take the shot. When you only want to take the shot at preferred power dial setting than take the tension off the system by bringing the cocking lever backwards again , take the magazine out , then whilst you hold the cocking lever backwards pull the trigger and release gently the cocking lever back in starting position ( forwards) . This way you have released the tension without double loading a pellet. Now you can adjust the power wheel again to your preferred setting. BUT as your pellet was still in the barrel first shoot it our in a safe direction before you reinstall your magazine again !!!!

cheers