• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

ASP20 in for repair

I’ve shot my Sig ASP20 a lot. I sure like the power, accuracy, fit and finish. That said, I just shipped it off to Sig to repair the first stage trigger travel ( it keeps shifting) and, it takes way to much force to close the barrel. So much so, I fear I’m going to break it. I didn’t see anything obviously wrong after a minor inspection. I asked Sig if I could just locktite the 1st stage travel adjustment and they said no, as it will void the warranty. Otherwise I like the rifle quite a bit. 

I've been thinking of getting one for awhile; how did you acquire yours?

Considered one myself but Ironox's need to ship it to Sig for repairs was one thought that put me off. The others are pretty much everything voids their warranty and they will not sell you parts. While I fully realize some shooters aren't bothered by the idea, I am...lol.

I like tinkering with and tuning my own guns and absolutely no parts availability would leave me with an expensive door stop.

My gun had a period where shutting it became so difficult I contacted sig (I too thought I would break it, and hurt my palm to try to close it) I lubricated everything including the spring loaded lock up, and it worked wonderfully after.

Love, love, love my asp20.

What did you use to lube the lockup Glen ? The barrel lockup on the Sig is very rigid and tight. A testament to it's accuracy. Many say it's hard to break the action but I don't anymore. It's all about technique.

My gun had a period where shutting it became so difficult I contacted sig (I too thought I would break it, and hurt my palm to try to close it) I lubricated everything including the spring loaded lock up, and it worked wonderfully after.

What did you use to lube the lockup Glen ? The barrel lockup on the Sig is very rigid and tight. A testament to it's accuracy. Many say it's hard to break the action but I don't anymore. It's all about technique.

I'm on vacation right now, so I'll have to check when I get home. Its a black bottle with I think a yellow label.

Hey Glen, I believe that it was you that mentioned last year that you prefer a strong grip and shoulder pressure-more than normal for a springer, to shoot it well. It took me months to use that method, and I found the advise spot on. Thanks

Glad it worked for you! It's the one springer I shoot that way, and given that I am SLOOOOOW to learn it took a helluva lot of shots to figure this gun out. Not nearly as tight or as strong as when I shoot my firearms, but definitely firmer than my other springers. In fact, if I hold my Diana 48 like the sig, it shoots all over the place, lol.

I stopped counting how many rounds I have downrange with the sig, but its WELL north of 9,000 at this point and everything is just as snug as day 1. Not a huge fan of the finish on the barrel or the stippling on the grips, but they grow on you. I also do not usually like branding, but sig pulls it off tastefully. Also wasn't a big fan of the dark stain to the wood at first, but now I like it. Seems like I have a few reasons to not like it, but I love it. Also, the trigger is high level good, but not spot on fantastic. Mine has no creep and is quite predictable. It breaks JUST under 2.5 pounds, but feels lighter than that, and for a hunting gun I feel 2.5 is spot on. When my fingers are cold, dont want a hair trigger..

Still, I can grab that gun and hit a chipmunk at 40 without blinking at this point. Mine is an absolute keeper. I still love my other guns, but this one has become my primary hunting and pesting gun. And I still occasionally shoot paper and spinners with it...

I'm on vacation right now, so I'll have to check when I get home. Its a black bottle with I think a yellow label.

Your not in Puerto Rico lizard hunting are you ? 

I use Lucas Red -N-Tacky grease on all my detents.

Well, yes and no. I am in PR, but my wife BEGGED me to not bring any airguns or go hunting. The reason she won.....it's our 25 year anniversary. Even though I had planned on bringing a gun and hunting, I found it more important to please her. The next trip not only does one of my guns come along and stay here, but I ABSOLUTELY go on a few hunts.

My wife is a keeper, trust me...but it did bum me out somewhat...

Hey Glen, I believe that it was you that mentioned last year that you prefer a strong grip and shoulder pressure-more than normal for a springer, to shoot it well. It took me months to use that method, and I found the advise spot on. Thanks

Glad it worked for you! It's the one springer I shoot that way, and given that I am SLOOOOOW to learn it took a helluva lot of shots to figure this gun out. Not nearly as tight or as strong as when I shoot my firearms, but definitely firmer than my other springers. In fact, if I hold my Diana 48 like the sig, it shoots all over the place, lol.

I stopped counting how many rounds I have downrange with the sig, but its WELL north of 9,000 at this point and everything is just as snug as day 1. Not a huge fan of the finish on the barrel or the stippling on the grips, but they grow on you. I also do not usually like branding, but sig pulls it off tastefully. Also wasn't a big fan of the dark stain to the wood at first, but now I like it. Seems like I have a few reasons to not like it, but I love it. Also, the trigger is high level good, but not spot on fantastic. Mine has no creep and is quite predictable. It breaks JUST under 2.5 pounds, but feels lighter than that, and for a hunting gun I feel 2.5 is spot on. When my fingers are cold, dont want a hair trigger..

Still, I can grab that gun and hit a chipmunk at 40 without blinking at this point. Mine is an absolute keeper. I still love my other guns, but this one has become my primary hunting and pesting gun. And I still occasionally shoot paper and spinners with it...

Good detailed analysis of the Sig Glen. I've always liked the stain and look of the beech stock. Metal finish scratches to easily. On a ten scale I'd rate the Sig a eight overall. That 2 point drop is just because of the finish and trigger. Improve the trigger and finish and you have a solid ten airgun.

Well, yes and no. I am in PR, but my wife BEGGED me to not bring any airguns or go hunting. The reason she won.....it's our 25 year anniversary. Even though I had planned on bringing a gun and hunting, I found it more important to please her. The next trip not only does one of my guns come along and stay here, but I ABSOLUTELY go on a few hunts.

My wife is a keeper, trust me...but it did bum me out somewhat...

You have your priorities in order Glen. Wife first !

Decided to do a better analysis of the Sig for those interested in one. 1-10 scale

Barrel quality and accuracy......10

Stock (beech) Looks great..a little bulky in the forearm......8

Barrel lockup......10

Power....10

Trigger.....8

Metal finish ....7

Weld assembly.....8

Cocking effort.....9 

Customer service.....9

Long term field use...heavy....8

Decided to do a better analysis of the Sig for those interested in one. 1-10 scale

Barrel quality and accuracy......10

Stock (beech) Looks great..a little bulky in the forearm......8

Barrel lockup......10

Power....10

Trigger.....8

Metal finish ....7

Weld assembly.....8

Cocking effort.....9 

Customer service.....9

Long term field use...heavy....8

I think I agree with the above. May drop the trigger to 7.5, but raise customer service to 9.5. Second thought, the trigger is probably an 8 after all..

I agree with the analysis Glen. I own several Sig pistols, and the ASP20 build quality is very much in line with them. Sigs have never been”‘works of art”’or a piece of jewelry. They don’t strive for that..well maybe some of their models in the 1911 line are exceptions. For the most part they are highly functional, solidly built utilitarian work pieces. The ASP20 fit and finish is typical Sig Sauer.