Asking for +

Why? I see this now and then, heres some groups or a post and how about giving me a plus.

Its a hobby, we all spend money on stuff and help each other with info. Why do some of us feel the need to "ask for thanks". Plus should be given when someone feels they deserve it for a great post or being helpful, not because its copy and pasted on the bottom of a post.

Rant over.

Why? I see this now and then, heres some groups or a post and how about giving me a plus.

Its a hobby, we all spend money on stuff and help each other with info. Why do some of us feel the need to "ask for thanks". Plus should be given when someone feels they deserve it for a great post or being helpful, not because its copy and pasted on the bottom of a post.

Rant over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Should the giver of a plus or minus be allowed to do so anonymously?

Although I haven't seen this myself I'm going to back you up on this G.C. I believe when you do something nice for someone, if you don't expect something in return, you will never be disappointed. If however your motivation for doing something nice is because you hope to get something out of it, you now run the risk of being disappointed. As an analogy, if you will allow me to get Biblical for a moment, I will share a story of the Pharisees in the temple. They wanted to be seen doing charitable things so they could be praised by others and have glory before God, but God says that they already received their payment when acknowledged by the public. Forgive the minor inaccuracies as I paraphrase, but you get the idea. If you have to ask for a thank you, your motivations probably need to be re examined. Just my 2 cents also. This is based on Matthew 6:2-4 

Glen, those are the ones that didn’t get enough praises when they were kids, and onto adulthood at work, is all. I’ve run into that stuff all my life.

i wanna tell a story on your tread here, as an example of why people act like they do, if you don’t mind, to prove my theory that it all stems from their time as a kid:

Back in 2010 I applied for the position to be the new field superintendent for the shop I worked for. At the time I was a field foreman, which I enjoyed, but in past jobs when opportunity came to climb the ladder of life I always jumped on those, and always won the position. I figured why not? So I applied, and during the interview I found out that I would be delegated more tasks and responsibilities, but my pay scale would remain the same. Ha! Without officially saying I declined my application for this position, the interviewers could see I was not only not interested, but disgusted with their offer. Thought it was ridiculous.

Anyway, the old superintendent, who was an interviewer, called me two days later to let me know a guy named Eddy got it instead, and not me. I said, okay, thanks anyway. I knew Ed, and although he was an intelligent and skillful individual, he was not the rest of the staffs favorite in that shop. He had some idiosyncrasies that I won’t get into.

so, here’s where this story leads up to a kids upbringing- He calls me that afternoon at quitting time, and I’m on my way home. Here’s the conversation-

Me: hello, Ed. What’s up?

Ed: well, did you hear the news?

Me: what news(I was rolling my eyes, cause I knew what was coming up next)

Ed: I’m the new superintendent! Yeah! What do you think about that?

Me: what do you mean what do I think about that?! Congratulations, Ed.....???

Ed: yeah, that’s right. Are you okay with the decisions of the hiring panel?

At that point, I asked him this question:

Me: can I ask you a question, Ed? Did you play competitive sports in school at all?

Ed: well, no. Why do you ask that?

Me: yeah, I didn’t think so. My point is, when the winning team wins a game, and goes to shake the losing teams hand, they don’t ask them how they felt about losing. You get it?

i think he got all but hurt, cause he quickly told me he had an incoming call he had to take.

so, you see, Glem, it’s all in the upbringing. These guys wanting the atta boys didn’t get that pat in the shoulder enough, lol

My new future-signature:

"If you read this, give me a +. Thank you.. Drive through."

🤣

Sam -

Seriously though, I think the +/- system is actually pretty cool if used correctly..
We've been using it for the Member's Classifieds 'ratings', and that works Great!
I've +'d a few people for their helpful/informative comments before, as well as received a few for the same..
It's nice, but, shouldn't be 'expected'. 🙂👍

Reactions: JimNM
I blame it on participation trophies. I hate to be one of those "back in my day...." kind of people but, I never had a room full of trophies because I wasn't always on a winning team. My grandkids have all kinds of trophies because they get one for just showing up. Their rec leagues don't even play for a championship! I see the consequences as an employer. These kids want praises for just being present and can't take constructive criticism about their job performance. OK, now my rant is over. 

Reactions: scubajeeper
I blame it on participation trophies. I hate to be one of those "back in my day...." kind of people but, I never had a room full of trophies because I wasn't always on a winning team. My grandkids have all kinds of trophies because they get one for just showing up. Their rec leagues don't even play for a championship! I see the consequences as an employer. These kids want praises for just being present and can't take constructive criticism about their job performance. OK, now my rant is over.

👍👍👍!!!

Ahhh yes... "participation awards and trophies"... *Face Palm*

I'm an 80s kid, and graduated hs back in 1999. I rode bmx, skated, rode dirtbikes, shot guns, etc.
I wasn't into 'team sports', but, I had a lot of friends that were, and the ones that 'won' trophies sure deserved it.
Obviously people are Not created 'equal', so not everyone was not going to get handed awards/trophies for their efforts..
It just made everyone try that much harder. Unless they could care less, and just did what they did for the fun in it.

A shop I worked at after school [Action Sports & Awards] used to make and engrave all the awards/plaques/trophies 
so I used to make spoof stuff for myself. So yeah, I guess I had a few cool ones too. hahaha

Fast forward to the next generation . . . OMG, it's pathetic IMO...
The gimmie gimmie, self entitled, butt-hurt generation

I wouldn't have believed it - Until' I saw it and heard it for myself, and even then, I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Ramble over..

😜 

Sam -

If I cared about my +'s I wouldn't be so vocal with my opinions and criticism. I don't need validation from external sources, I find that within...and once its found I then express it. 

TBF I think the accuracy system is more or less a popularity contest, say what people want to hear get a +, say something conflicting or something that may hurt someones feelings, get a -, not all unpopular opinions are wrong, and not all popular opinions are right...so a system of this nature is not intuitive to open discussion, it draws a very thick line that most people rather not cross...JMO.

Reactions: zx10wall
I agree with @Glem.Chally . Although I do have a lot of green balls, I didn't ask for them. It kinda irks me when I see some on here that already have massive amounts of +1s and green balls request "give me a +1 if you like my post" or something similar. I'm always surprised when there is another +1 in my accuracy. I'll admit, I do like to see them, but to ask for them isn't the way I think this is supposed to work... I have in the past received PMs from members that have asked "how" to give accuracy, or what its for, but not to specifically request one...

Yup, I assumed that the +/- system was in place for classifieds also..
Sort of like eBay feedback. Used that way, it is Extremely Helpful.

Then I started seeing non buyer/seller 'Accuracy' points, and thought that was cool too..
Sort of a dual function system..

It's nice to be able to +1 someone for the effort they put into helping others..
I do that all the time [not just when I'm involved]

What annoys me - Clicking on a Youtube video, and having to sit through the intro 
if/when all it is is the person telling me to like and subscribe..
In todays day n' age, I'm pretty sure that people know the drill.

😜 

Sam -

Rant over.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I had been a participant on this forum for months before I even noticed the green and red balls. I didn't know what they were for and didn't investigate either. It wasn't until someone asked for a "+" that it finally dawned on me. Since then I've actually used it a few times as a way to express anonymously my appreciation for something that I learned of great value from another participant. Seems that I've even received a few green balls myself; for what and from whom I am clueless. Just glad that something I wrote helped somebody. It's nice to be appreciated among peers, but I've never solicited a "+". 

I'm inclined to believe that some of those who actively solicit +'s from their peers are motivated more toward making newbies like me familiar with the system and encourage people to use it, and not so much to draw recognition to themselves. Others are obviously and shamelessly "plus hounds". For my part, I'd be least likely to award a "+" to someone who solicited one. 

Rant over.

I agree. I don't understand the significance of it I guess especially when anybody can give you a + or - anytime they want to for any reason. I would rather see an option to "like" someones post if it was helpful or you agree with them...

Reactions: bucketboy