• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Ascending shot string

You need a little more hammer spring I believe. With the airtube full the poppet sealing your valve is being held closed with 3,000 psi, as you shoot it down the pressure drops and the valve is easier to open because it is being held closed by less pressure. 

When you get a good tune your velocity will have a small rise to a peak then a small fall to refill. It’s an unregulated gun regulating itself. Coolest thing about pcps with knock open valves in my opinion.

Beau

What you are seeing is normal for an unregulated marauder, but should not be that low at 3k, IMO. Hammer pretension might be a touch light. Basically at higher pressures, the valve needs more energy to open, likewise it closes faster too leading to a shorter amount of time the valve is open and thus slower speeds. As you approach lower pressures with more shots, the energy required to open the valve is less, and the valve opens longer. This is where the fun of marauder tuning is, flattening the curve or straightening the knee as much as possible. Sounds like you are almost there though. Keep tuning! 

Also check out hard air magazines technical series on pcp’s. Great read for understanding pcp’s. First article below.

https://hardairmagazine.com/buyers-guides/airgun-buyers-guides/ham-airgun-technical-how-pcp-airguns-work/

I’m not a marauder guy, very little experience with them. Did you adjust the throw? It would be the smaller bolt right in the center of the hammer. Backing out the screw increases throw which increases velocity, doing the opposite does the opposite. It gives your hammer more travel. You also may just have to start you string at a lower pressure. You may not have enough hammer spring in the gun to achieve exactly what you want. That’s all I’ve got on the mrod.

What you are seeing is normal for an unregulated marauder, but should not be that low at 3k, IMO. Hammer pretension might be a touch light. Basically at higher pressures, the valve needs more energy to open, likewise it closes faster too leading to a shorter amount of time the valve is open and thus slower speeds. As you approach lower pressures with more shots, the energy required to open the valve is less, and the valve opens longer. This is where the fun of marauder tuning is, flattening the curve or straightening the knee as much as possible. Sounds like you are almost there though. Keep tuning! 

Also check out hard air magazines technical series on pcp’s. Great read for understanding pcp’s. First article below.

https://hardairmagazine.com/buyers-guides/airgun-buyers-guides/ham-airgun-technical-how-pcp-airguns-work/

Thanks for the link, good read

welcome! Imo, 880 max from 900 max isnt that far off for a Hammer spring to be off, even 1/4 turn can do some changes in speed. Try a dry lube coating in the hammer area and hammer, fine graphite works well. Hammer could be slowing, happens in m-rods. If thats not it and your settings are not far off ( the hammer spring pre tension may come out of adj some during shooting, check the striker too)check for a leak at the breech o-ring and transfer port seal, tissue paper over the breech while shooting seems to be the trick. Thats where i’d start. Hope it helps. 

It's fairly involved but I did a Bstaley tune (O rings around the valve stem) to flatten the shot curve of my Prod. I think I used 4 and they were sized to be just larger than the inside of the air tube. I put a light coat of silicone grease on them so they stay in place better. They stick out slightly so your hammer can depress them and hit the valve but when the hammer bounces back towards the valve it should not get there. I had to go to a stiffer hammer spring to get back to where I wanted to be with velocity. I got about twice as many higher power shots with about a 30 fps ES. That is not as good as I normally get from my regulated guns but seems pretty decent for an unregulated.

The other alternative is just to fill to a lower pressure and quit when your velocity is lower than you want. Nothing wrong with this, just not as many shots before a refill.