• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results ASC October Rifle and Pistol Match Report

The sea was angry that day, my friends. Which is surprising, since the Arlington Sportsmans Club is over 300 miles inland. It started raining about 8pm Friday night and it was still raining at 7;30 when I got to the club to see if anyone was dumb enough to come shoot Field Target. Turns out, 8 of us were just that dumb dedicated. We stood under the canopy at the archery range for a while looking at the radar on our phones as a river flowed over our feet. I was the only local in attendance. We had 6 shooters from various parts of central Texas and our Arkansas road dog (Stan) showed up, although it looked like the drive through a monsoon may have aged Stan a little. A couple of locals called to say that they couldn't make it due to road conditions so we decided to go for it once the rain stopped at about 9:30.
Despite the conditions (mostly ground water and sagging tree limbs) the course was very shootable. Unfortunately, the sight in range was mostly under water, so I made the executive decision to allow 5 sighting shots for every shooter before shooting for score. It was a wet, muddy mess and we had a great time. We had two cold lines, one was self declared user error and the other was a case of a reset string getting swept under a beaver damn. The course Troyer was 31.8, which is fairly easy for our typical shoots. It was actually a little easier than that because I decided to change the kneeling lane to a sitting lane due to the muddy conditions. David T took advantage of this and led the Hunter class with a 50 of 56. It should be pointed out that David had the most waterproof boots.

Here are the results for the rifle match"

Hunter PCP​

David TRed WolfSightron SIIIJSB 13.4350/56
Scotty HRAW HM-1000Sightron SIIIJSB 13.4349/56
Jim CRed WolfSightron SIIIJSB 13.4348/56
Ron RDaystate WolverineBushnell Elite 4200FX 10.343/56
Billy DFX CrownAthlon HerasJSB 13.4341/56
Jim BFX ImpactSightron SIIIJSB 13.4340/56

WFTF PCP​

Scott CDelta WolfFalcon T50+AA 8.4443/56
Stan KAA Pro TargetSightron SIIIAA 8.4438/56

After the rifle match, I was ready to call it a day and go home to dry off. Jim C had other plans and insisted on shooting the pistol match as planned. Leave it to an Englishman to seek fun in miserable conditions. Jim and Billy would later redeem themselves by almost single handedly pulling the strings and targets after the pistol match, so I have decided to forgive Jim for making me do what I said I would do. 5 shooters stuck around for the pistol match The other four shot well and I had fun joking around with the guys, so a good time was had by all. The Troyer for the pistol match was around 24.4 with one slightly illegal target caused by Assistant Match Director laziness. Note that Jim C and Billy shared Jim's pistol, and the combined age of Ron and Jim B's pistols was around 130 years old. For real.
Here are the pistol results.

Ron RCrosman 187Bushnell.177?32/40
Jim BSears & Roebuck .22WestHunterFX 15.927/40
Jim C?????????24/40
Billy D?????????23/40
Scott C1720TRiton X3CPL 7.910/40

Thanks to everyone that made it out and to Jeff for helping me setup on Friday. Our next match at ASC will be our GP match, the Republic of Texas, with a pistol match November 16th and a two day rifle match the 17th and 18th. I believe there are still a couple of spots available and we will have nice swag and food, so go here to sign up: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...RE7Y6QBu600WdpgPHVXqyHxg/viewform?usp=sf_link

And now, the photographic proof of our dumbness dedication.

unnamed (1).jpg

Stan, Scott C, Jim B, Jim C (hidden), Billy D, Ron R and Scotty H

unnamed.jpg

Jim B later realized that he had his nice rubber boots in his truck.

20231028_105938.jpg

Stan thinking about tying a fly on the end of his windicator

20231028_105039.jpg

Billy can't believe how "dedicated" Jim C is.

20231028_104843.jpg

David showing his match winning technique to Jim B.

20231028_101315.jpg

Scotty and Ron were on the other side of a mud pit, so this is the best I could do

Reactions: Bill_D
Dang! I’ve quit pretty good jobs for less than that!
I know, right? Walking around in the mud with a bunch of old-ish farts shooting BB guns all day. Pretty good day, all told. The biggest issue was that my wife was out of town and one of my dogs had a little tummy issue. I got home and my dining room looked like the dog poop episode of CSI.

I tried. I had a couple reroutes due to flooded roads after leaving my house. I got a couple miles from the range and CR 525 was flooded out. Looked at alternate routes on my phone and CR 528 was flooded out. I gave up trying to come from the west and decided to go around and try it from the east. I tried two different roads from the east and both were flooded. That’s when I called you. I have installed a new scope and wheel on my rifle since last month’s match and and really needed to come shoot and sort out the final touches as I really won’t have a chance to shoot again until RoT.

Opening deer season this weekend. Not sure it will be sorted out before RoT. After getting home Saturday I jumped on the tractor and plowed. I had about 45 minutes before my wife got home to plant seed. Not much wind and I decided to shoot. I guess the hub on my new JD side wheel shifted/rotated. All my ranges marked on my wheel are way off. Made me want to throw up. I spent a lot of time trying to do it right and tested my ranges twice after to confirm everything and marked my wheel. Then I checked everything again as I sighted in at various ranges. Everything was perfect. It was such a great feeling. Just needed to get a few sight settings at the further distances. Now it’s most likely a total loss. I am going to take the rifle to deer camp this weekend to see if I can rotate the wheel hub back to where it was. Just aggravating. The rifle was shooting great, the scope was ranging great, and I was pumped. That’s why I was trying so hard to get to ASC to try it out for real. Since the last match I spent a bunch of money for a new scope, oversized top turret, and side wheel, and built a new knee rest. I was well on my way to having a fully set up rifle for RoT and it was going great. Now I am just deflated.

I feel ya. I thought at the match Saturday that my wheel had shifted or I had a temp shift. I ranged a 10 yard target and it lined up with my top pin instead of my usual bottom pin. So I used the top pin for the next two targets and I was a yard or two off. That's when I realized that Jeff had set what I assumed was a 10 yard target at 9 yards.
The reason I put in a high pin in the first place is because a couple of weeks ago I went to the range and all of my yardages were a bit off. Since we had gone from 100 degree days to 70 degree days, I figured the scope was switching to winter mode so I added another pin instead of re-doing the tape. Then I realized that the wheel wasn't tight and had shifted 2 mm. Sometimes you love something and it just doesn't love you back.

After I shot that lane, I distinctly remembered you saying when we set it up something like "that may be too close but I'm not shooting so it will be fine".

Remember rule 1 of assistant match directing: If a match director doesn't show up for the match, said jerk shall receive any and all blame for any of the following - targets, trees, grass, weather, current political climate, start time, end time, gun failures, scope failures, acts of God, acts of dog, and physics. I don't make the rules, I just follow the ones I agree with and ignore the rest.