• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

As far as field target is concerned, does zero distance really matter?

Take my hw95, its shooting 720fps on average, and given were only shooting 55 yards(harder than i thought with a springer lol), does zero distance really matter? WHen i input my data into strelok pro up or down the difference is only 4.6 MOA on my vortex 6-24, and i have a marker every 2 MOA. Maybe im trying to justify my closer range zero lol.....

I set mine up for 30 yards but 25 to 27 is probably more appropriate on most. This is the apex so ALL holdovers or clicks are up.... no holding or clicking down. It really doesn't matter if you only click but I find it simpler to always have the same base reference. Another option would be maximum point blank range where you define the acceptable size of the window (ex. 1/2") and work out the best distance for holding the most on the center crosshairs. I'm guessing it's going to be around that 30 yard distance but haven't actually worked it out. My wife likes 20 yards for some reason but is willing to accept some hold downs.

Bob

For Open and WFTF Divisions, most competitors re-zero (click) to whatever distance that they estimate the target to be.

For Hunter Division, I have found it best to zero at the trajectory apex. That way you only do hold-over (no hold-under).

I almost always use hold-over, even when shooting Open or WFTF.

Your zero distance does matter if you are using it as a reference. For some of the more difficult targets, a perfect shot only gives you about +/- 3/4moa of leeway.

IMO it absolutely does matter. If you're shooting HFT of course you can't adjust your turrets or the magnification during the match. You have to utilize holdover. Sorry I'm not familiar with Strelok. I use Chairgun but I'm sure they share some of the same features and capabilities. In CG, I choose my zero to be the zenith. My KZ size is .01" as CG won't accept null. I have to put some value in. This gives me the flattest trajectory (least amount of holdover) possible. 

As a point of reference, and all guns will be somewhat different, my BSA is 29 yards and my FX is 27 yards. And yes, I could use 30. The most important thing as JamesD. stated is to know your holdover (if shooting HFT) for every yard from 10 to 55. And yes, you can most certainty use other incremental values such as every 2 or even 5 yards. Just depends on the amount effort you want to go to and affirmation you want to have when you take aim and squeeze the trigger.

FWIW, I did a couple of videos on YT explaining range marking a scope wheel, zeroing, holdovers and bracketing your targets. 

FT is a blast! you'll have a great time. Good luck! 

https://youtu.be/YCdiLCvRTAc

https://youtu.be/-sAKNYTpjdc

https://youtu.be/iwjJNokGAas

ABSOLUTELY !!! In the game of FT we live or die by the accuracy of our D.O.P.E. sheet and that starts with having your ZERO range established at pellets apex of flight.

With a KZ of @ 1/4" We hold OVER from 10 yards out to the beginning of your ZR ( Generally @ 23-24 yards ) hold dead on while in the ZR ( Generally falling in the 24-32 yards distances ) then start doing HOLD OVER again as we go out further.

You can determine what +/- value your ZR is in programs like Chairgun or Stelock, enter scope height, speed and pellets weight etc and get a really good D.O.P.E. sheet with some input data tweaking.

Chairgun will let you experiment with zero ranges, and not have to mess with the gun. I consider it a "lab tool"

Strelok is a shooter's field tool. the Two are a good combo

Use CG to set various distances, check the graphs and tables, repeat until you find distances that work for you. Zero the gun, enter that into strelok and you'll be way down the road.....

Aside from the advice above for FT, all the springers I've owned need to have the zero checked the morning of the match. Your dope is dependent on your zero! Not a bad idea to shoot lots of shots at the sight in range to confirm zero, change if need be, and see what the wind is doing to your pellets. 

Check all the screws in the gun and scope system a few days prior because - springers.