• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Artillery Hold

I heard someone on another forum mention the "artillery hold" as a means to improve accuracy for springers. I've been trying to improve the accuracy of my Umarex NXG APX pumper, and I thought "eh, why not give it a shot." I'd been shooting from sand bags on a table and thought that was likely the best solution for consistency and stability but my shots have not been terribly accurate. It can't hurt to try.
I read some articles, watched a video or two on the subject and tried the artillery hold with my gun. The first shot hit dead center of the target I was aiming at. Hmm,...even the blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. The next shot seemed to miss entirely. And the next and the next. And the next...I can't even tell where they're hitting because there isn't a mark on the paper. OK, this artillery hold thing doesn't seem very useful, but I'll give it one more try. Finally I hit the target again, just about 1/4 inch to the right of the first shot. I went up to look at the target and darned if there weren't 4 or 5 shots stacked on one hole. It looked like a clover leaf up close. That last shot was the worst of the bunch! I think I'll need to play with this some more.

Ok guys tried the artillery hold today.. Gotta say it helps if you're having a bad day.. Went to my father in law today, he was shooting and said he was doing great then BAM ,it just went nuts on him.. Now we've had that same problem in the past! Never could figure it out, so we went back to our range and sure enough he couldn't hit squat.. I got his gun and it took me a few minutes to get used to it, tried the artillery hold.. Went to cutting bullet holes out..so I guess I'm saying it does work, maybe not all the time or for everyone but it did today!

I'm a convert. I was camping in the mountains this weekend and spent about an hour plinking juice cans. There were several set out at 10,20, and probably 40 yards. I didn't expect to hit much of anything at 40yards, but to my surprise, not only was I hitting the can, I was hitting where I was aiming. I'm dumbfounded. I tried setting out some cans at 60yards, but I couldn't see them because the smoke was too thick.