• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Artemis Model 30

This is a short review for the Artemis Model 30. I have attached a link to a youtube video that I recently found, which includes a good general description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0tN5ps6jI It has a 280 cc air tube that surrounds the barrel, is fillable to 250 bar, and therefore has no bottle or separate air tube. I prefer this to the plumbing that appears on bottle guns. The tube is 1.375" in diameter and encloses a 24" barrel with 12 groove rifling. It has an externally adjustable regulator and the hammer is adjustable.The bolt is stout and operates smoothly. It looks more like a centerfire varmint rifle than an air gun. It prefers longer pellets and after adjustments shoots the .22 cal JSB 25.39 grain "redesigned" pellet at 820 fps. 10 shot groups at 20 yards have been under .100" center to center. The trigger is adjustable, comes with a single shot adapter held in by a small magnet, and a magazine. Fit and finish are excellent. The front of the air tube is sealed with a short extension that includes baffles and spacers which help reduce the report significantly, but it isn't quiet. There are no available suppressors, and if you added one, it would be a very long air gun. You can buy a Model 30 for about $550, and given the power, accuracy and uniqueness, it is a very good value.

Hi Spysir. Actually my name is not Bob, and the member name has no connection with my real name whatsoever. I am also not the guy in the video. I do own one. I have not taken it apart yet, but expect to. I ordered a few parts from Artemis including the extension in front of the barrel. I want to improve on the design to help reduce the sound further. Quality looks quite good, despite hearing all the negativity about China made products. Velocity ranges from 821 to 813 until it drops off the regulator. The only thing that looks inaccurate is the regulator gauge. I checked the pressure in the tube/barrel when the accuracy drops off, and it looks like just under 150 bar, but the regulator gauge reads 120. I am not sure if this an accurate test of the regulator setting. 150 is pretty high, but I am moving a 25.39 grain pellet at 820 fps. I don't know how accurate a Chrony is, but I think mine reads a little slow. I have only put 200 bar in it, and haven't done a shot count test, but would guess that I am getting about 40-50 shots from 200 bar to 150 bar. Just a guess. FYI...the only other pellet that seems to shoot well is the Barracuda, but nothing is as consistent as the "redesigned" JSB. Frankly, I am impressed with it thus far. I like a traditional look, so it is the best looking PCP in my opinion.

Hi Spysir. Actually my name is not Bob, and the member name has no connection with my real name whatsoever. I am also not the guy in the video. I do own one. I have not taken it apart yet, but expect to. I ordered a few parts from Artemis including the extension in front of the barrel. I want to improve on the design to help reduce the sound further. Quality looks quite good, despite hearing all the negativity about China made products. Velocity ranges from 821 to 813 until it drops off the regulator. The only thing that looks inaccurate is the regulator gauge. I checked the pressure in the tube/barrel when the accuracy drops off, and it looks like just under 150 bar, but the regulator gauge reads 120. I am not sure if this an accurate test of the regulator setting. 150 is pretty high, but I am moving a 25.39 grain pellet at 820 fps. I don't know how accurate a Chrony is, but I think mine reads a little slow. I have only put 200 bar in it, and haven't done a shot count test, but would guess that I am getting about 40-50 shots from 200 bar to 150 bar. Just a guess. FYI...the only other pellet that seems to shoot well is the Barracuda, but nothing is as consistent as the "redesigned" JSB. Frankly, I am impressed with it thus far. I like a traditional look, so it is the best looking PCP in my opinion.

The gauge on my Artemis PP700S=A is exactly as inaccurate as yours. It reads very low as well.

Thank you, greatly looking forward to more information.

NO real idea here but......... if that design has a reasonably clean airflow , just based on you fps the 120 number on your gauge sounds right. Maybe? 

I do not purchase based on looks alone bbut I have hoped this model might work out in the long run. I've seen spot on machining from the same factory ( I be;lieve, just a bit hard figuring all these rigs out) on other rigs.

Groups & how is the trigger? Personally would love to see any pictures of the workings of this rifle.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

It took a while for me to figure out that I had to adjust the trigger nearly to the end of its allowable limit. Mine had a lot of creep, and 2nd stage travel. I've got it set down to about 1 to 2 pounds, very little 2nd stage travel, and breaks pretty cleanly. Not the best trigger, but I am not complaining.

Adjusting the hammer spring in very small increments can have a substantial impact on group sizes, but I have been able to adjust it to shoot really small groups at 20 yards. I haven't shot it past 20 yards yet. Some 10 shot groups fit on an aspirin, but only with the JSB redesigned 25.39 grain pellet and a clean barrel. I use Shooters choice lead remover, and very little of it. It would probably shoot other pellets well, but mine has a absolute preference for this pellet. At 38 foot pounds, it is no slouch.

I like the video that I added the link to watch on Youtube, but that guy owns a 12 ft lb version. Mine is much much louder, but it is not a problem. I would say it is relatively back yard friendly. Their are countless capabilities to modify the noise level, but the airgun is already quite long, so if you like a short airgun, this is not for you.

The trigger pull length is 14.5" from trigger to the recoil pad, and adds to the full-length feel. A version with a shorter barrel, shorter air cylinder, and more sound suppression would be a game changer.

Here is an update on the Artemis Model 30. Unfortunately, the M30 developed a leak out the muzzle end of the barrel, so it was time to disassemble the M30. Also, I was only able to shoot the .22 25.39 grain JSB pellet accurately, and wanted to be able to shoot some other pellets accurately too. I ended up buying a LW barrel and ordered a variety of parts directly from Artemis. Somehow I must have damaged the regulator during disassembly because it too wasn't functioning properly. Machining the barrel was complex (based on my skills) because the M30 barrel has air surrounding it in the air tube and also separately in the action. Tight tolerances and smooth surfaces are critical to avoiding o ring leaks. It is a very unique design. After replacing a few of the regulator parts, and installing my LW barrel, it took 4 partial takedowns to figure out that the leak before replacing the barrel was caused by the same problem that I had after installing my new LW barrel. There is an o ring at the breech end of the barrel but inside the chamber that must handle high pressure air, and was the source of the leak. The leak was not caused by the valve. After trying a few different o rings from a general o ring kit I got from a hardware store, I finally found something that was a little larger than the factory o ring, and it solved the leak. The regulator was now functioning too. After some very brief testing, I found that the LW barrel really likes the JSB 15.89 with a 5.53 head. I have only shot at 20 yards, but velocity is 875 fps +/- 4 fps, and 10 shot groups go through the same barely oversized hole. Since I am shooting at a lower power than with the 25.39 grain pellet (up to 35 ft lbs), and due to the regulator, it is very miserly with air consumption. It is also much quieter.

Ordering parts and receiving them from Artemis does take time, about 1 month total time to delivery, but the parts prices are very reasonable, so FEDEX shipping costs are a large portion of the total price. Communication is very good with the Artemis team.

So I can reinstall the factory barrel to shoot the 25.39 pellet accurately, or use the LW barrel to shoot the lighter weight JSBs accurately. Sorry for the lack of photos.

The Artemis M30 is an odd blend of an old school hefty bolt action style non-bullpup design, that is as long as many longer airguns, but it looks like a rifle without visible plumbing. It sets up nicely on a bag for target shooting due to the wooden forearm and feels solid, but isn't heavy. And, it isn't pricey.

Hi, That rifle peaked my interests as well along with their PP700 pistol. I looked at it on Krale web sight just yesterday. I watched a video by Giles,,from the AirgunGearShow, where he had bought a model 30.(does a review on the pistol too,in different video,The Zadstar, gotta love that name.) He takes it apart, cleans it up, fixes or makes right a few things. Well done with good camera and editing work.I'd link it but I am the poster child for luddites.sry

Thanks HeyU for your comments. I wish I had seen this youtube video before I worked on my Model 30. I did not have the issues he had with excess grease, and rust on screws. My stock also fit better, but I did sand the air cylinder channel in the stock to relieve a little pressure on the air cylinder. At 40 minutes into the video he discussed the brass fitting attached to the barrel at the breech end, and did some clean up work. Mine was in great shape, but the little oring in this fitting that contacts the barrel, is where I had a leak.

He also spent time talking about the trigger and its pieces. So true that you need to take pictures, but his video is now my reference tool.

I spent a lot of time on mine, and prefer the LW barrel, but the efforts paid off. No leak and mine shoots the following pellets into a slightly enlarged hole at 20 yards: JSB 15.89, Baracuda 22.13, and the JSB 25.39 pellet. It shoots the 18.13 into a slight vertical group., but I am not going to adjust it further at this point.

Thanks again for the referring me to the video...it was excellent.

The barrel was $112 and I bought it from Lothar Walther directly. If anyone buys an M30 and wants to replace the barrel, you will also either have to trim the air tube about 1/2" or make the fitting at the bore end of the barrel thread deeper into the airtube, because the M30 barrel is slightly longer than the Lothar Walther and the fitting must seal on the tip end of the barrel. A better option would be, perhaps, to order a barrel about 24 1/2" and it would eliminate a lot of extra work.