Artemis M16A review Part 2 - 3/8" five shots group at 50 yards?

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
Here is the Part 2 follow up video on the Artemis M16A. I was able to do some 50 yards target shooting at one of my permissions.
It wasn't an ideal condition as the morning was super windy and cold but I managed to do some test groups with this new gun I received from Wes of Air Gun Archery Fun.

I was shooting the AA 18gr at 888 fps and the first 12 groups were not as tight as I would like mainly due to the swirling wind in my opinion. However, the 13th group was an eye opener for me and luckily I was able to capture the footage with my Orion Cam setup.

I saw the potential of this gun on the previous shoot at 35 yards where the pellets were grouping consistently. But it blew my mind when I was able to put 5 shots into a hole that is less than 3/8" at 50 yards. Although this was one of 13 groups, but it showed me the potential of what this gun can do.

In my opinion, this affordable entry level PCP is a sleeper and it is worth a look if you are in the market for one.

I will do more testings and hopefully in a calm day to see if this gun is for real and I will do accuracy comparison with my other more expensive guns.

Enjoy this video and see for yourself whether this gun impress you or not.

Visit www.airgunarcheryfun.ca for more info.

Reactions: Ed24
@Fuciliere. I knew it was accurate from previous outing at 35 yards, but I was truly surprised with the result I got at 50 yards. Call it lucky or fluke, but IMO it showed the potential this gun has and that is all that is matter to me. Thank you for your support. I am sure Wes will be happy to send you the order.

@Roachcreek. LOL. I must be lucky somehow.

A little update: I took it out today and did some accuracy tests against my FX Crown and Impact. With my luck, it was a windy and cloudy morning as well as some rain drizzled down as I did the tests. I was shooting them from 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 yards. The M16A was going toe to toe with the FX up to 50 yards, but the groups started to open up a bit at 60 and then not consistent at 70 yards. Obviously I will need to tune the M16A by making adjustments with the Reg and HS in order to compete with my FX since both guns have been shot a lot more and lots of tuning as well.

But straight out of the box and just plug and play, this M16A is accurate in my book. Stay tune for this video to come.
PS. I also got the M16A first two kills, back to back, with a dove at 40 yards and a crow at 47 yards.

I have 3 SPA guns, all P35s. 177, 22, and 25. My 22 is the first of my 5 PCPs to put three pellets in the same hole at 25 yards and it has done it twice. I have not shot it past 33 yards yet but it shoots well. It is also the only one of the 3 that did not have an inappropriate hammer spring setting for the regulator setting. The 177 had about 3 full turns too much hammer spring and the 25 had a fraction of a turn too little. The lighter 25 setting caused the regulator to mess up the velocity of the first shot. The triggers of all 3 needed adjustment and the crown of the 177 and 22 showed chatter marks I polished out with JBs. The crown of the 25 is a mess but the gun will shoot 1/4 to 3/8 groups at 33 yards and kills squirrels well for me.

My 25 is about 9 months older than my 177 and 22. In that time SPA added a second magnet to hold the magazine in place and may have improved the barrels a bit. I think they are trying and their guns represent really good value. But I think I was a bit lucky on the accuracy of my 22 - although the 177 is not far behind. But I think it is reasonable to expect to have to tune them up a bit when you get them. Even tuned their triggers are just OK. My Prod has a better trigger and I think my tuned Avenger is better too.

I don't think you can find another 5.2 lb bullpup, however. I shoot from my left shoulder and the flush fitting magazine is not in my face so that is nice too. I don't think there is any plastic in the action of my P35s, unlike my Avenger. Even the magazines seem to be mainly aluminum. I think SPA makes nice guns for their pricetag and when you get a bit lucky and get one with accuracy similar to guns costing 3X as much it is especially gratifying.

Dont know how to score this, just got my M16A, cleaned the barrel, quick zero on a scope and shot this without warm up, resting on a tripod and squat position at 10 meter, started from top right going to the left

IMG_20220908_201727.jpg

The SPA/Artemis/Snowpeak pcp's almost all responds well to experiment with different length and sizes of the hammerspring, most of mines where to long and waisted air, and also the regulator need some adjustment, on my 177 M16a that i use as a 25m target gun and still experiment with i can get more than 400 jsb 8.44gr or 7,33gr within reg, with a lower speed ofcourse, (around 570-580fps) but at just 25m you don't need 1000 fps...

@AG72. Thanks for your input. I have shot the M16A out to 70 yards in the wind but the result wasn't as good as I would like. My plan is to make some adjustment to the Reg and HS and see if I can improve the groupings. It is currently shooting the AA 18gr at 888 FPS. Maybe I will increase the speed a bit more and see if it likes that or not. My plan is to get it to shoot well up to 75 yards. Will experiment and see what happens.